• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the boards and to comics.  I've recently inherited an extensive comic book collection, probably thousands of them.  They've all been stored bagged and boarded in comic book boxes since the 80's.  I'm here to learn as I sort through them and decide which ones (if any) are worth sending to CGC for grading.  Thanks for being so welcoming!

On 9/11/2019 at 10:12 AM, nickdemeato said:

Hey All,

I have been here for a while but not in a while, so now I have to get mod approval again to post. UK based Marvel fan needing to get better at low end grading.

See you around the boards.

Welcome Back :)

23 hours ago, comicnewbie said:

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the boards and to comics.  I've recently inherited an extensive comic book collection, probably thousands of them.  They've all been stored bagged and boarded in comic book boxes since the 80's.  I'm here to learn as I sort through them and decide which ones (if any) are worth sending to CGC for grading.  Thanks for being so welcoming!

Hope you have a pleasant time sorting and looking through! 

Hi everyone,

I’m Nir, 24 years old, born and raised in Israel but currently live in Italy. I’ve been reading and collecting for about 12-13 years now, and next month going for the first time to the states for NYCC so been looking for info about signings and CGC grading. Cannot read anything from DC ever since the New 52 (yeah, I know that things have changed since then with Rebirth and all) so I’m sticking with Marvel (a huge Marvel fan) and Image.

2 hours ago, nmanoim said:

Hi everyone,

I’m Nir, 24 years old, born and raised in Israel but currently live in Italy. I’ve been reading and collecting for about 12-13 years now, and next month going for the first time to the states for NYCC so been looking for info about signings and CGC grading. Cannot read anything from DC ever since the New 52 (yeah, I know that things have changed since then with Rebirth and all) so I’m sticking with Marvel (a huge Marvel fan) and Image.

Hello Nir and Welcome :) 

Hopefully these threads will Help!

If you signed up for the Boards you might then have a free account to CGC, which does allow you an "account" to submit under at a comic-con.....

If you have a paid account then cool :) you might get a little discount, the Premium Tier I think it is comes with a $150 credit to CGC towards subs, not including shipping...

Feel Free to browse and ask questions! Have Fun at the CON! :headbang: 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, nmanoim said:

Hi everyone,

:whatthe:

Welcome to the boards, Nir.

What's wrong with New 52!? Or was it because you just didn't like the reboot? I'm personally a big fan of New 52.

On 9/16/2019 at 3:54 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

:whatthe:

Welcome to the boards, Nir.

What's wrong with New 52!? Or was it because you just didn't like the reboot? I'm personally a big fan of New 52.

Just didn’t like the writing that came with the reboot, most stories were shallow and lacked... I dunno, the feel they had before the reboot. Batman and Green Lantern maintained the high quality writing but Action Comics, Detective Comics and Nightwing all suffered tremendously IMO. I heard the same about other ones too. Oh and Aquaman from what I recall was also good post-New 52, but a lot of other stories struggled with making the characters young again, without most of their history, yet doing original stuff. That’s only my take on it, obviously. Rebirth (from what I hear) did a lot of good to DC’s characters (especially by bringing original Wally West back and giving Barry his memories back).

Edited by nmanoim

1 hour ago, nmanoim said:

Just didn’t like the writing that came with the reboot, most stories were shallow and lacked... I dunno, the feel they had before the reboot. Batman and Green Lantern maintained the high quality writing but Action Comics, Detective Comics and Nightwing all suffered tremendously IMO. I heard the same about other ones too. Oh and Aquaman from what I recall was also good post-New 52, but a lot of other stories struggled with making the characters young again, without most of their history, yet doing original stuff. That’s only my take on it, obviously. Rebirth (from what I hear) did a lot of good to DC’s characters (especially by bringing original Wally West back and giving Barry his memories back).

I agree that Action and Detective both suffered in New 52. Fair point.

DC Rebirth has been very good to the Superman and Batman stories/titles.

4 minutes ago, aKyleT said:

Hey guys, I'm Kyle, 23. I'm really curious about the history of comic books, my favorite Superhero team is the Fantastic Four and my favorite non-super hero book is Sandman.   

Some Say FF Started it all :) Welcome ;)!

Hey everyone -

Edward in Los Angeles. Got into comics because of the original ASM cartoon and TV show back in the day and even worked at New England Comics in the mail room (before legal age, shhh!).

Loved the hobby all through freshman in college, when I would bicycle over 10 miles to raid the nearest store, fill my backpack's worth and ride all the way back to campus. Got pulled over once for speeding, if you can believe it.

Amassed about 7 boxes worth of books over the years: Swamp Thing, Daredevil, Batman, Punisher, everything Spider-Man, Watchmen, Groo the Wanderer, independents like TMNT (in the Mirage days), Grendel, Mage, Usagi Yojimbo and the like.

Like a lot of folks, I'm starting a new stage of life - a new business - and dipping into the past to help make it happen. Outside of a few gems, my baseball card collection from the early-mid '80s never recovered its value and I'm now reluctantly tapping into my comics. Lot of sentimental value.

I'm slowly learning about the present state of the trade: print runs, populations, certification, which books to press, which ones to get graded, etc. My collection is mostly Modern Age, which I see is quite 9.8 oriented ... so I'll focus on my older and independent books first - the obvious first one being an ASM 129 I picked up just after the release of The Punisher #1 Limited Series for $0.25 from one of those old mail order ads.

My contribution here will likely be nostalgia more than anything else. I really wish the cards had held their value, but life is what it is. What's nice, though, is that I know if and when I ever get back into collecting for myself, that there's a place to do it.

Appreciate everyone who has already posted on the boards. Thanks ;)

Hey Everyone,

Im Mike I’ve recently just got back into collecting comics. I always read them as a kid and took care of some but over the years of moving around I lost most or just gave some away. So anyways here I am trying to really get into them again. I’m a huge marvel guy and absolutely love Spawn. Glad to be apart of this hopefully I’ll learn a lot and make some fellow comicheads as well. 

15 hours ago, Kronic21 said:

Hey Everyone,

Im Mike I’ve recently just got back into collecting comics. I always read them as a kid and took care of some but over the years of moving around I lost most or just gave some away. So anyways here I am trying to really get into them again. I’m a huge marvel guy and absolutely love Spawn. Glad to be apart of this hopefully I’ll learn a lot and make some fellow comicheads as well. 

Hello! Mike :)

welcome to the craz.... e rr I mean comic house e rr I mean BOARDS!!

15 hours ago, Kronic21 said:

Hey Everyone,

Welcome

17 hours ago, Kronic21 said:

Hey Everyone,

Good company!

Welcome to CGC, Mike.

Hello everyone. My name is David and I have been a comic book collector / reader since 1962 (yeah...I'm old) and an OA collector for about 15 or so years now.

Although I had heard of 'the boards' from some of my comic book collector friends, I had never discovered them until recently when a friend of mine mentioned that a photo of me appeared along with others pictured at an 'American Association of Comic Book Collectors' (AACC) banquet 1997 in a recent post under 'Comic Book Marketplace Memories' from that magazine during its Gary Carter heyday. Since discovering these forums I have been trying to educate myself to how things work around here. I hope to wear the title of noob well. I appreciate this new education that these boards have provided and the members that post here. Most of my collecting is all over the place just the same as when I was a kid, which was anything that I could get my hands on. I don't participate too much in the modern comic arena. My main interest is Fox GGA (and older GGA in general), Silver Age DC some Marvel and most any comic that has good art and stories. I am amazed at some of the comics and art that are continuously posted here. I have been posting to Comic Art Fans for a few years now so some of you veterans may have seen some of my 'stuff' from there. 

About 10 or so AACC members locally in San Diego still get together a couple of times a year (some of them being 'boardies'...that's how I heard about this) share pizza, comics and good times.

It's good to be here.

18 hours ago, davidtere said:

Hello everyone. My name is David and I have been a comic book collector / reader since 1962 (yeah...I'm old) and an OA collector for about 15 or so years now.

Although I had heard of 'the boards' from some of my comic book collector friends, I had never discovered them until recently when a friend of mine mentioned that a photo of me appeared along with others pictured at an 'American Association of Comic Book Collectors' (AACC) banquet 1997 in a recent post under 'Comic Book Marketplace Memories' from that magazine during its Gary Carter heyday. Since discovering these forums I have been trying to educate myself to how things work around here. I hope to wear the title of noob well. I appreciate this new education that these boards have provided and the members that post here. Most of my collecting is all over the place just the same as when I was a kid, which was anything that I could get my hands on. I don't participate too much in the modern comic arena. My main interest is Fox GGA (and older GGA in general), Silver Age DC some Marvel and most any comic that has good art and stories. I am amazed at some of the comics and art that are continuously posted here. I have been posting to Comic Art Fans for a few years now so some of you veterans may have seen some of my 'stuff' from there. 

About 10 or so AACC members locally in San Diego still get together a couple of times a year (some of them being 'boardies'...that's how I heard about this) share pizza, comics and good times.

It's good to be here.

January 21st 2013 Joined Date? you HAVE been waiting around to see how it goes around here!?! lol Welcome! :headbang: