• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your doing it wrong.

8 posts in this topic

Or maybe its just your way

Is there a wrong way to this hobby? Or is it simply that the masses believe one way and the minorities believe it another. Lately there have been a slew of CGC vs the Other Guys, and then Pressers vs Purists, and even Signatures vs True Blue. But is their a wrong way?

Taking the CGC vs PGX route I think the biggest issues with them that we have identified was their quality in grading, lack of a true Signature Series, and a lack of a registry. To me take those three items out and PGX seems to have the better product. A sturdier case, a quicker turn around time, and a lower cost. I have yet to see a bubble effect on their case well and they seem to at least get most of the labels right... granted they have less to need to produce. To me in my opinion these are all issues CGC could stand to at least take a look at and possibly deliver a better product to those of us that are so passionate about this hobby.

Lately times have gotten significantly better, but the ever-increasing costs have been going up and yet there are still so many issues left unresolved. If PGX or any company could jump in and remove the monopoly would we accept it. Or would we blow that company off as well as a simple, your not CGC, thus I do not trust you. Could ground be gained? Personally, I don't believe so. I believe PGX's history tarnished their name and I don't see anyone without a significant backing being able to jump into the pool without some serious street credit.

Pressers vs Purists has been an enjoyable board conversation and really it comes down to disclosure when reselling in my opinion. I have no problem with pressing. I'm trying to gain the highest grade for MY books. But that's the point for me. These books are mine and for me to do what I want with them. I'm not looking for resale value and not looking to trade them off. I'm looking to put them up in my home, slide them neatly into a box, or simply pass on to my kids as they get older. The grade I obtain isn't for anyone else's enjoyment but my own. I think the true discussion comes in when individuals look to sell their books and especially with those in the 7.5 -- 9.6 range. If I were to purchase a book in those grades I would want to know for myself if their grades could be improved upon. If the seller states been squished 4 times by CCS I may be less inclined to purchase that book if I am looking to improve upon it. I think the largest issue here is the lack of full disclosure by sellers which is what drives this discussion. For Tnerb, bagofleas, and others who have attempted to press a higher grade I think the key issue is they are looking to do it for no one else but themselves. If they do it and then sell it, its on them to be upfront as a seller about it.

And Signatures vs Blue tops. Really it comes down to opinion. I think an easy way of looking at it is the New Mutants 98, 10 mint sold for over 15K. If someone could obtain the same grade but with a Signature who wouldn't pay a higher premium. Then again it all boils down to the comics being worth it to someone else.

Any thoughts?

K

14588.jpg

See more journals by kaholo1256

I'm in agreement with you on all of this.

Right now there is simply no way for a company to just jump into the comic grading industry and surpass CGC for credibility. This is something that will take years for someone to accomplish.

As far as pressing goes, I definitely do it for ME, not for resale value. The problem with disclosing the pressings is that you simply don't know if it was pressed any prior to your pressing it. If I say, "this book was pressed once", how do I know if I am being truly truthful? It could have been pressed three other times before me and I don't even know it. However, I would be upfront about MY efforts with the issue and say what I did with it as well as the fact that I can't speak as to anything done before I had it.

Right now the best odds of knowing you are getting a graded comic that hasn't been pressed is to buy one with the old label on it.

When it comes to Yellow vs Blue, that is completely up to the individual. Some people think getting a sig on a comic is detrimental to the comic's value. Some vice versa. I fall into the former category. To me, a comic book is no different than having a print versus the original art piece.

They generally print thousands of comics based off of the original art. So getting artists to personally touch and place their signature on the comic makes it more original to me.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

I'm in agreement with you on all of this.

Right now there is simply no way for a company to just jump into the comic grading industry and surpass CGC for credibility. This is something that will take years for someone to accomplish.

As far as pressing goes, I definitely do it for ME, not for resale value. The problem with disclosing the pressings is that you simply don't know if it was pressed any prior to your pressing it. If I say, "this book was pressed once", how do I know if I am being truly truthful? It could have been pressed three other times before me and I don't even know it. However, I would be upfront about MY efforts with the issue and say what I did with it as well as the fact that I can't speak as to anything done before I had it.

Right now the best odds of knowing you are getting a graded comic that hasn't been pressed is to buy one with the old label on it.

When it comes to Yellow vs Blue, that is completely up to the individual. Some people think getting a sig on a comic is detrimental to the comic's value. Some vice versa. I fall into the former category. To me, a comic book is no different than having a print versus the original art piece.

They generally print thousands of comics based off of the original art. So getting artists to personally touch and place their signature on the comic makes it more original to me.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

I thought you and Tnerbs are doing it for fun. The competition also should be fun. Both of you became a beautiful friendship. Nothing is wrong with that. I guess both of you are doing the craziest stuffs -- of course it is your obsession too. CGC graders are getting tougher nowadays. Recently, I was disappointed to get only one 9.8 out of 11 signed Bone issues but my determination is to get all 9.8s in my Bone collection which is my obsession but I am doing it for fun. I have ten more Bone issues awaiting for the grades but I hope to get more 9.8s.

I used to read New Mutants myself but I never thought about collecting them except my memory when I was in my high school years. It was fun to read them. You have fun to collect them.

Blue vs Yellow labels ---- everybody is different.

I don't own many books with the yellow labels but the sales do help me to make a nice small living except two issues were signed by Stan Lee.

ASM #1 5.0 and DD #1 7.0 were signed by The Man. I felt satisfied with them. Nuff said.

I think many collectors preferred the blue labels on all old books as the originals over the yellow labels. I had sold many books with the yellow labels to the international buyers than here.

Pressing is a like a woman who applies make-up to look her absolute best.

Restoration is like a woman who gets plastic surgery to look her absolute best.

Signature series books are like women with tattoos. They think they are unique little butterflies but they are not.

Bagofleas, Yep…. And I agree, If I am looking for that hundred percent guarantee of not being pressed I’m either looking at my local mom and pop seller or an old label. Aside from that, I simply have to take their word for it.

Newshane, I can say I have seen many a 9.8’s in my life…women, without makeup and understand a few that possibly need it. But honestly for my taste. Nothing is sexier than a bad girl with a sleeve… Sign me up any day

Well when it comes to the signature series I'm 90% ok with it. I have signed books raw and If people like the CGC signature series and do it on a book they love and want to keep, sure. And for the owners of high grade moderns and lower grade keys of the silver age and getting that sig makes them more money when they sell and a collector who bought the book happy that's great.

I'm hesitant when high grade silver though gets a signature but if the owner wants it so be it.

But, I wont mention the book or the pedigree but after seeing a high grade silver age early key in a yellow label with signature scribbled across it I thought it was worse thing to happen to that book.

Pedigrees have a unique history and I believe owners are custodians of these treasured time capsules of American pop culture in our hobby.

Maybe not for the owner who had it signed and sold it or the new owner.

That's my view and my 2 cents worth.