• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brubaker's Best Work?

76 posts in this topic

When Sleeper ended, I was literally sad it was over.

I was obsessed with that book when it was hitting the shelves.

I felt that way about Daredevil.

Captain America & Winter Soldier both seemed rushed the last few months.

Let's not forget Iron Fist. That was a very solid book too. Wish it didn't end.

Pat

I actually just picked up the complete run of Iron Fist off eBay and read most of it. It was a great read, but it really drops off when Brubaker and Fraction leave. Remains good, but not at the same level.

And you can see both writers in the book which is why I find it difficult to give credit to just one of them.

A Complete Lowlife is early work by him. He writes and draws and it's not that great, but it is really interesting. It's autobiographical about him doing drugs and stuff like that.

It's about a million times better than any superhero work he's done. :preach:

Another excellent Brubaker comic (probably his best work, IMHO) is The Fall, with artwork by Jason Lutes. Anyone who hasn't checked it out, definitely should!

Now we know where hollywood powerhouses are really going for their ideas.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-matt-damon-produce-659027

Affleck, Damon, and Cruise need to go ahead and get an account and come out of the shadows lol

I guess this explains the buy it now on my sleeper 1 9.8 SS last night. That book had been up there forever. Time to list another one.... at a higher price.

Wanted to bump this up. I just finished reading Criminal and loved it! What a great series. I am also in awe of his most recent work Kill or be Killed. Last night I finished the most recent issue and it is always the top of my read pile when it is released. I could go on for ever with praise for his work from Sleeper to Daredevil to Velvet there hasn't been a run of his work that I haven't enjoyed. Next on my list is Gotham Central after just buying the omnibus.

Hope he is around writing great stuff for a very long time

mathew

1 hour ago, artistlost said:

Wanted to bump this up. I just finished reading Criminal and loved it! What a great series. I am also in awe of his most recent work Kill or be Killed. Last night I finished the most recent issue and it is always the top of my read pile when it is released. I could go on for ever with praise for his work from Sleeper to Daredevil to Velvet there hasn't been a run of his work that I haven't enjoyed. Next on my list is Gotham Central after just buying the omnibus.

mathew

I need to start reading Kill or be Killed. I have many of the issues piled up, just haven't had time for comics in a little while. Velvet is/was amazing when I was reading it.

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

I need to start reading Kill or be Killed. I have many of the issues piled up, just haven't had time for comics in a little while. Velvet is/was amazing when I was reading it.

Kill or be Killed is amazing. The way Brubaker is able to weave his story is wonderful. That and his work with Sean Phillips is always great. I read Velvet as it was released and loved it so much I picked up the deluxe hardcover (which is beautiful).

6 hours ago, artistlost said:

mathew

Kill or Be Killed has absolutely blown me away. It's one of the best single issue experiences on the shelves. I think when it's all said and done this my be favorite. I just keep thinking this would be perfect Netflix show. The comic is so intense and psychological I could see it being amazing 

8 hours ago, artistlost said:

mathew

Agreed, Fatale is great too if you havent checked it out. 

Kill or Killed is great every issue. 

I was really nervous with the 1st couple and the demon. 

But the interwoven story has been top notch.   Unlike a lot of books, it's one I really look forward to reading. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, artistlost said:

Just got back from a mini vacation and while on it, I devoured the Gotham Central omnibus. What a great read from start to finish. Brubaker and Rucka do work well together.

Gotham Central has always been WAY under the radar (especially with the revolving creative teams and lesser known characters).  Glad you enjoyed it. 

Patrick

As I pointed out in my 'great teams' post, pretty much anything Brubaker & Phillips is legitimately great. I've read most of their catalog of work together and would be hard pressed to point out the weakest link (when viewed as an overall piece of artistic storytelling).

Having said that... There is a special place in my heart for the Brubaker + Lark DD run.... but Criminal still may be my favorite.