• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey Into Mystery 83 - 125

37 posts in this topic

These are newbie questions regarding CGC'ing a collection. I just discovered this BB and I am new to the concept of CGC'ing a book. I am trying to locate more information about CGC (which I assume is a comic grading company somwhere in or near Sarasota, FL). I have a complete collection of JIM and early Thor. I am curious how to go about getting a large collection of comics evaluated by CGC economically. I have been hunting around the news groups here and have picked up a couple of mentions about the cost of having individual books evaluated. Is it worth getting a whole collection graded by what seems to be a standards group? I have been considering dumping my collection. Or is the cost of rating 50-100 books unreasonable? If each rating cost $15 dollars per book I know that it is probably not worth it to me. I stopped collecting these comics almost 20 years ago and most of the JIMs range from G (30) - FN (60) based on an estimate based on Overstreet grading. The Thor's are probably in a little better condition ( VG[50] - VF[80]).

In my opinion, it won't be worth it to you to send those books in if they're in that condition. Generally speaking, it's more worthwhile for higher grade stuff unless the books are exceptionally rare in any grade which JIM's and Thor books aren't.

Agreed.

The reason for this is because Journey into Mystery CGC'd VG and a raw VG have very little difference in term's of what they will sell for. You won't make up the difference in the cost of slabbing.

However, a CGC'd Journey Into Mystery VF or VF+ could get a lot more than one that isn't CGC'd. In that case, the cost of slabbing makes the book worth a lot more money and more desirable. Condition for the most part is the determining factor whether or not to get a book slabbed.

Hi,

I am the official CGC evaluation for slabbing probability inspector. If you send the books to me i will gladly pre-grade them for a mere $2.75 per book. PM me for my shipping address as you will not find a better bargain anywhere else....really....trust me.... wink.gif

Really depends on the grades. Anything above #100 really needs to be in VF at least to justify the grading fees. Below #100 are hard to find in pretty much any grade, but I would only consider slabbing stuff in at least FN (83-90) or FN/VF (91-100).

Hey, I also work in CGC evaluation (that's how you spell it) and I've never heard of you. Do not and I mean DO NOT send your books to this man. Send them to me. I'll do 'em for $2.00. (US Dollars) Trust me. grin.gif

Hey....You never heard of me cause your in the crappy Turok evaluation division. I am the senior advisor in the marvel (penthouse level) evaluation division, hence the reason you have never heard of me... smirk.gif

Thanks for all the input and clearing up all the questions I had about getting the books graded. Found the CGC website. Should know to google first ask questions later.

As far as the the member's of the CGC pre-evaluation and evaluation department are concerned, I appreciate the kind offer. I have about six long boxes I can send you with JIM and Thor. At those prices what a bargain, I can get the modern stuff done too crazy.gif . Just send me your address and I'll get them out to you right away. At those evaluation prices I should be able to get Ma that operation she needs... Once I sell the officially pre-evaluated versions of my books on ebay. wink.gif

As far as the the member's of the CGC pre-evaluation and evaluation department are concerned, I appreciate the kind offer. I have about six long boxes I can send you with JIM and Thor. At those prices what a bargain, I can get the modern stuff done too

Yes! And the nice thing about the pre-evaluators is they pay for shipping up front. Just bring your books to the post office and get the exact price. I suggest Overnight Express Mail. Send them the shipping costs (don't forget to insure at Overstreet NM value because you never know - they may all be Near Mint!). As soon as you get their checks for the postage - well - heck - ship them by book rate! They have too much to do as is and will appreciate the break from yet another batch of books to pre-evaluate.

Oh - only one of the pre-evaluators can grade a submitted collection. So shoot them BOTH the postage cost and watch them scurry to be the first received money order! As a penalty for slackness, you ARE allowed to keep the money orders from successive pre-evaluators who were just....too.....slow!

Hey ...come on pov...your going to mess up the deal....I'm just looking out for the newbie.

I will gladly pay for shipping and will just deduct it from the pre-grade evaluation services that I am going out of my way to offer....

And by the way I offer fast turnaround times....3 days max...I promise... grin.gif

Hey ...come on pov...your going to mess up the deal.

Hey...I'm still waiting for my cut from the last 13 pre-evaluations! So now I become Barry Bonds! (err - that is my super-cool in-way of saying I am now playing ball...errr...softball...no...oh yeah! hardball! YEAH! Grrrrr! I am playing HARDBALL now.Yeah!)

And until I get my $2.17 cut from those pre-evals I shall continue to do so! Yeah!