• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

Greetings fellow cover price variant collectors!  Ben here, dropping in to share exciting news that I'm certain will be of great interest to everybody participating in this thread! I know some of you have already discovered our price guide project and gotten a sneak peek because it has been live on my blog for the past several weeks, but today marks a milestone:  Gemstone has published our press release to Scoop, officially announcing the release of our Type 1A Cover Price Variant Price Guide to the world!  Check it out: http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=202171

Woo hoo! :-)  I want to applaud all the collectors here in this thread for being so very far ahead of the curve of "hobby-wide" awareness of this type of variant and its compelling collectible appeal.  You guys and gals caught on early.  We think history will rhyme:  Twenty years ago many people considered Jon McClure insane when he shared his 30 & 35 cent variant discoveries and articulated their appeal and future value potential, and today, such cover price variants are widely recognized and understood hobby-wide; The parallels to awareness about 75 cent variants (and other Canadian cover price variants) are absolutely striking, and we've now seen awareness rise to the level where our Guide is justified.  And here's just one more parallel between the 1970's price variants and 1980's price variants: Jon McClure himself is one of the senior-most collaborators on our six person price guide team!

It has been a privilege and a pleasure getting to know Jon and also each of the other fantastic collaborators over the course of all of us putting in the huge amount of time and teamwork that made this guide possible.  The cost to use it is exactly $0.00. We hope you like it!!!  Here's a direct link to it if you want to skip the press release and jump straight to the price guide itself: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/the-2018-price-guide-for-1980s-newsstand-canadian-cover-price-variants-type-1a/

- Ben

Regarding your Caveat on the likelyhood of some Direct Market only issues being listed in error in the guide - I'm sure for example that 'Mazing Man was dropped as a newsstand title after Issue 8 and the two specials were also direct market only  - If I put up a corrections list here perhaps people can chip in if they know different. - I have been assembling pictures for DC CNS and I have 1778 pictures out of what I suspect is a total of 2113 ( purely for my own reference of course).

Edited by David Buck

Hi everyone, 

New to the boards but I have been lurking for a decade. Question pertaining to Canadian edition price variants. If a copy is in an old holder that doesn’t designate Canadian Edition, is it still counted in the census? Does it need a resub to add to the count? 

Thanks in advance!

On 11/24/2017 at 7:30 PM, xcomic said:

Greetings fellow cover price variant collectors!  Ben here, dropping in to share exciting news that I'm certain will be of great interest to everybody participating in this thread! I know some of you have already discovered our price guide project and gotten a sneak peek because it has been live on my blog for the past several weeks, but today marks a milestone:  Gemstone has published our press release to Scoop, officially announcing the release of our Type 1A Cover Price Variant Price Guide to the world!  Check it out: http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=202171ump straight to the price guide itself: https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/the-2018-price-guide-for-1980s-newsstand-canadian-cover-price-variants-type-1a/

- Ben

missing DC titles/issues:

Firstorm: The nuclear Man 65-75

Funny Stuff Stocking Stuffer 1

Justice League International 7-17 , Annual 1+2

Mister Miracle Special 1

Nightforce 3-14

Rainbow Brite and The Star Stealer nn.

Star Trek: The Next Generation 1-6

Supergirl movie Adaptation 1

Teen Titans Spotlight 1-21

Who's Who: The Definitive Directory Of The DC Universe 1-26

Who's Who Update '88 1+2

The Following  listed Issues I believe were Direct Market only:

'Mazing Man 9-12; Special 1+2 (though I see these have been removed now - if anyone has evidence of either NS editions please bring it up)

Atari Force Special 1

Blue beetle 22-24

Hawkman 16+17

Sword Of The Atom Special 3

Saga Of The Swamp Thing Annual 3 (Swamp thing Annual 3)

Zatanna special 1

The following I am dubious of as although they all have US newsstand copies - It's possible the CNS edition would have dipped below some minimum Qty. threshold and hence not been printed - These are still valid listings until it can be proven one way or another- as they should exist in theory ( I have not seen a US newsstand of Angel Love #7 as yet but I have for all other issues of the title)

Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer 1; Angel Love 1-8; Doom Patrol And Suicide Squad Special 1; Hawkman 12-15; Heroes Against Hunger 1

I can't imagine that a CNS edition of Heroes against Hunger doesn't exist for example but I can believe Angel love would have been too low a print run to bother with.

Those are my thoughts - anyone with corrections to my corrections; please chip in.

Edited by David Buck
CNS Losers special 1 confirmed as existing so removed from list