• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2017 at 2:55 AM, The Heckler said:

Hi everyone, 

New to the boards but I have been lurking for a decade. Question pertaining to Canadian edition price variants. If a copy is in an old holder that doesn’t designate Canadian Edition, is it still counted in the census? Does it need a resub to add to the count? 

Thanks in advance!

If it's not on the label, it's not in the system. Which is why the census is useless for determining CN numbers: so many unidentified copies.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:53 AM, David Buck said:

missing DC titles/issues:

Firstorm: The nuclear Man 65-75

Funny Stuff Stocking Stuffer 1

Justice League International 7-17 , Annual 1+2

Mister Miracle Special 1

Nightforce 3-14

Rainbow Brite and The Star Stealer nn.

Star Trek: The Next Generation 1-6

Supergirl movie Adaptation 1

Teen Titans Spotlight 1-21

Who's Who: The Definitive Directory Of The DC Universe 1-26

Who's Who Update '88 1+2

The Following  listed Issues I believe were Direct Market only:

'Mazing Man 9-12; Special 1+2 (though I see these have been removed now - if anyone has evidence of either NS editions please bring it up)

Atari Force Special 1

Blue beetle 22-24

Hawkman 16+17

Sword Of The Atom Special 3

Saga Of The Swamp Thing Annual 3 (Swamp thing Annual 3)

Zatanna special 1

The following I am dubious of as although they all have US newsstand copies - It's possible the CNS edition would have dipped below some minimum Qty. threshold and hence not been printed - These are still valid listings until it can be proven one way or another- as they should exist in theory ( I have not seen a US newsstand of Angel Love #7 as yet but I have for all other issues of the title)

Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer 1; Angel Love 1-8; Doom Patrol And Suicide Squad Special 1; Hawkman 12-15; Heroes Against Hunger 1; Losers Special 1

I can't imagine that a CNS edition of Heroes against Hunger doesn't exist for example but I can believe Angel love would have been too low a print run to bother with.

Those are my thoughts - anyone with corrections to my corrections; please chip in.

How about Justice League Europe issues? I see that some of the early issues have the US and Canadian prices but I have no idea if any of these hit the Newsstands with just Canadian prices on them? 

Interesting conversation about whether issues like ASM#238 and FF#252 should have tattooz inserts or not, I'm not sure what the right answer is?  I bought this issue out of California and it was listed as having the insert [I haven;t inspected the book] so I pointed out that it probably shouldn't. The seller mentioned that it was sold to him as having the insert:

Jak2fs.jpg

1 hour ago, The Heckler said:

Why is this book labeled Canadian edition? CGC oopsie?

That is definitely an error.  Looks like the census numbers are skewed both ways.  Maybe everything just cancels each other out and the census is on par.

43 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

That is definitely an error.  Looks like the census numbers are skewed both ways.  Maybe everything just cancels each other out and the census is on par.

lol

8 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

How about Justice League Europe issues? I see that some of the early issues have the US and Canadian prices but I have no idea if any of these hit the Newsstands with just Canadian prices on them? 

???

I would have hoped that somebody who obviously collects Canadian Newsstands would know the start and end dates for what they collect.

JLE started months after Canadian Newsstands ended (at DC).

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

What is even worse is when you send in a group of CDN newsstand copies, clearly note on the CGC invoice that they are CDN newsstand editions, and then the do not label them all as such. doh!

42 minutes ago, kimik said:

What is even worse is when you send in a group of CDN newsstand copies, clearly note on the CGC invoice that they are CDN newsstand editions, and then the do not label them all as such. doh!

If it's on-line and you see some are noted and some are not noted it is because the ones noted will have copies on the census and the ones that are not noted are probably the first Canadian Edition of that issue submitted so they have to be confirmed before seeing them listed on your on-line submission.

Otherwise, yes, they also miss noting them at times and they are sent back without the notation on the label.  Just have to be vigilant.

My last submission had an ASM #252 Canadian Edition noted on the invoice but it came back without the notation on the label. All of the other Canadian newsstands I submitted in the same group were labelled properly. doh!

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

lol

???

I would have hoped that somebody who obviously collects Canadian Newsstands would know the start and end dates for what they collect.

JLE started months after Canadian Newsstands ended (at DC).

Honestly I am more of just a huge fan, don't really dig into the nitty gritty as much as some of the experts on these boards because I am, like your moniker, lazy. Having said that it looks like even some of the experts may have left out books on the master list so that is why I had to ask? For years I never got into collecting these before with much determination or focus because I was frustrated with the lack supply. For example, a quick search of Ebay and I can only find one F- copy of this issue. Finding one in high grade, you have to really fluke out:

B1o2LC.jpg

Here are are three recent returns from CGC. The NTT #26 was a disappointing lowly 9.6, and my ASM #252 was mislabelled (and will be returned), but the Flash and Tec are the right grade at least. lol 

5a21a755630c0_cgcDeteciveComics532Cdn.thumb.jpg.6d2481ec5c64ffc144186d72fbe70a4e.jpg

5a21a7d9c3779_cgcFlash1CdnB.thumb.jpg.4f18201e9ee28d358d6eca66ecf7ac33.jpg

5a21a74c9de73_cgcNewTeenTitans26CdnA.thumb.jpg.ec15e913098acd951db976ba2390a073.jpg

On November 30, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Honestly I am more of just a huge fan, don't really dig into the nitty gritty as much as some of the experts on these boards because I am, like your moniker, lazy. Having said that it looks like even some of the experts may have left out books on the master list so that is why I had to ask? For years I never got into collecting these before with much determination or focus because I was frustrated with the lack supply. For example, a quick search of Ebay and I can only find one F- copy of this issue. Finding one in high grade, you have to really fluke out:

B1o2LC.jpg

Methinks someone is monitoring this thread-

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/JUSTICE-LEAGUE-OF-AMERICA-256-NM-1st-Print-CANADIAN-PRICE-VARIANT-Newsstand/292353698031?hash=item4411a368ef:g:OtsAAOSwYxBaIbg5

16 hours ago, bellrules said:

Did someone say Rainbow Brite and Funny Stuff? NFS

97A7486C-CAA8-46FE-B335-3E6F12E73C2C.jpeg

A579116E-1064-4312-B57E-B50E0B7592E4.jpeg

Common drek (just kidding).

There are a couple of the LCSs that have multiples in the back.....just like Thor 370 (I have passed on a few recently as they were lowly FN to VF). I know that one LCS has them sitting in storage from the leftovers of a collection I sold to them. They may be 9.8 candidates.

Nice that you have some though. These are some of the tougher ones to find.(thumbsu

Edited by kimik