• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,872 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Is there a list of what people consider "CPV keys" or is the same as regular old keys?

A key is a key, regardless of the version.

Batman 423 is not a key.

10 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

A key is a key, regardless of the version.

Batman 423 is not a key.

Thanks. I am aware a "key is a key" but certain books that are not a "key" in a traditional sense can command a very strong price for CAD versions, like the Bats #423 even if they are not a "key" in the traditional sense. I guess then it should be more of a rarity and/or scarcity list then.

2 minutes ago, The Heckler said:

If Batman 423 isn’t a key then I suppose you would say silver surfer 4,  batman 227 and 251 aren’t keys either?

One of those books is not like the others, but yeah, popular covers are just popular covers, not important stories.

54 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Thanks. I am aware a "key is a key" but certain books that are not a "key" in a traditional sense can command a very strong price for CAD versions, like the Bats #423 even if they are not a "key" in the traditional sense. I guess then it should be more of a rarity and/or scarcity list then.

Yeah, any niche will likely have issues that are harder to find (either in general or in grade) and/or that are more in demand for other reasons, which will affect prices.

I haven’t had a chance to comment on the “key” discussion, but I have been thinking about it. I like what Web intimated. Namely, that inside this small subset of collecting, Bats 423 is most definitely a key issue. For those of us hunting these high grade CPVs, I would submit that not only is it a key, it’s a major key. Highly coveted and nearly impossible to find. Crazy expensive compared to the issues that immediately proceeded and followed it in the run. Classic cover. And let’s face it, in the era of encapsulation, what’s more important than the cover these days? We are turning our books into posters. 

As far as a key in the normal sense of collecting, I would consider it a minor key, but a key none the less. I gave examples of other classic covers in my previous post that are most assuredly considered keys by almost everyone and I could name 100 more off the top of my head. IMO classic cover is enough to get er done. Especially if the cover is done by a superstar artist. Jim Steranko and Neal Adam’s, I’m looking at you. I’m not buying the arguement that a Key can ONLY be a first appearance or major storyline.  Avengers 164 isn’t a key but it’s part of a major storyline. Secret wars 3. Daredevil 176. The list goes on and on.

I tend to think of keys in the major and minor variety. First issues, first appearances, major storylines, classic covers will usually check one of those boxes for me, and the determining factor on which type of key it is is usually, but not always, determined by price.

1 hour ago, The Heckler said:

Back to the thread. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is that a new gaming computer in that gigantO box? Newp! It’s mail call from CGC!

Inc  post a few of my new favorite things shortly!

B83178C2-4E61-4777-BE67-26F5259F04EA.jpeg

And away they go! 

I’ll post them in order of WTF CGC! disappointment to copies that nourish my inner monkey.

first up