• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, The Heckler said:

I haven’t had a chance to comment on the “key” discussion, but I have been thinking about it. I like what Web intimated. Namely, that inside this small subset of collecting, Bats 423 is most definitely a key issue. For those of us hunting these high grade CPVs, I would submit that not only is it a key, it’s a major key. Highly coveted and nearly impossible to find. Crazy expensive compared to the issues that immediately proceeded and followed it in the run. Classic cover. And let’s face it, in the era of encapsulation, what’s more important than the cover these days? We are turning our books into posters. 

As far as a key in the normal sense of collecting, I would consider it a minor key, but a key none the less. I gave examples of other classic covers in my previous post that are most assuredly considered keys by almost everyone and I could name 100 more off the top of my head. IMO classic cover is enough to get er done. Especially if the cover is done by a superstar artist. Jim Steranko and Neal Adam’s, I’m looking at you. I’m not buying the arguement that a Key can ONLY be a first appearance or major storyline.  Avengers 164 isn’t a key but it’s part of a major storyline. Secret wars 3. Daredevil 176. The list goes on and on.

I tend to think of keys in the major and minor variety. First issues, first appearances, major storylines, classic covers will usually check one of those boxes for me, and the determining factor on which type of key it is is usually, but not always, determined by price.

Fanboy logic lol

22 hours ago, The Heckler said:

I haven’t had a chance to comment on the “key” discussion, but I have been thinking about it. I like what Web intimated. Namely, that inside this small subset of collecting, Bats 423 is most definitely a key issue. For those of us hunting these high grade CPVs, I would submit that not only is it a key, it’s a major key.

Being key has nothing to do with grade. An Action Comics 1 is a key whether it's a 1.0 or a 9.4. Wolverine 35 is not a key in any grade, no matter how difficult it is to find an UHG copy without the tears.

Highly coveted and nearly impossible to find.

Being key has nothing to do with supply. Action Comics 1 and Spawn 1 are both keys.

Crazy expensive compared to the issues that immediately proceeded and followed it in the run.

Keys are not made by secondary market prices, relative or not.

Classic cover. And let’s face it, in the era of encapsulation, what’s more important than the cover these days?

Content, as always.

We are turning our books into posters. 

No, we aren't. Slabs are about 0.01% of the market. Don't get confused just because of where we are right now.

As far as a key in the normal sense of collecting, I would consider it a minor key, but a key none the less. I gave examples of other classic covers in my previous post

Classic covers are classic covers (though I've never seen that designation applied to Batman 423 by anybody with any influence). Popular covers are popular covers. Covers can affect demand, which will affect prices.

that are most assuredly considered keys by almost everyone

They are absolutely not considered keys by almost everyone. Many people actually understand language, logic, and reason.

and I could name 100 more off the top of my head. IMO classic cover is enough to get er done. Especially if the cover is done by a superstar artist. Jim Steranko and Neal Adam’s, I’m looking at you. I’m not buying the arguement that a Key can ONLY be a first appearance or major storyline.  Avengers 164 isn’t a key but it’s part of a major storyline. Secret wars 3. Daredevil 176. The list goes on and on.

:eyeroll:

I tend to think of keys in the major and minor variety.

Keys are not all created equal? Well, I can't disagree there, but it's a spectrum, not a binary classification.

First issues,

First issues? lol Okay, I'll admit you had me going, but now I know you're just goofing around.

first appearances, major storylines, classic covers will usually check one of those boxes for me, and the determining factor on which type of key it is is usually, but not always, determined by price.

Again, price doesn't make keys. Keys are (generally) valuable because being important increases demand, which increases prices.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Being key has nothing to do with grade. An Action Comics 1 is a key whether it's a 1.0 or a 9.4. Wolverine 35 is not a key in any grade, no matter how difficult it is to find an UHG copy without the tears.

Being key has nothing to do with supply. Action Comics 1 and Spawn 1 are both keys.

Content, as always.

No, we aren't. Slabs are about 0.01% of the market. Don't get confused just because of where we are right now.

Classic covers are classic covers (though I've never seen that designation applied to Batman 423 by anybody with any influence). Popular covers are popular covers. Covers can affect demand, which will affect prices.

They are absolutely not considered keys by almost everyone. Many people actually understand language, logic, and reason.

Keys are not all created equal? Well, I can't disagree there, but it's a spectrum, not a binary classification.

First issues? lol Okay, I'll admit you had me going, but now I know you're just goofing around.

Again, price doesn't make keys. Keys are (generally) valuable because being important increases demand, which increases prices.

Oh your that guy. Kk th4nkz for inf0z. So this is a thread about CPVs, do you have any to show off?

Why would I need to show off? That's not why I collect, nor is it why I'm here.

I posted because the extreme overuse/misuse of "key" annoys me.

I believe I have only ever created one single image of any of my Canadian Newsstand editions. I have previously posted it on the boards, but it might not have been in this thread and I think it was on that stupid, suicidal image host anyway, so here it is again, just to make you feel better:

252s.thumb.jpg.bf8ec5371855b90d25e474d381ee2560.jpg

Love it, praise it, and make my epeen grow!

BTW, that's a key.

Now that all that unpleasantness is over, let's get back to our normal program. Which is posting SUPER MEGA ULTRA CPV KEYS!!!!

FF5? pfft. JIM 85? lolz

Behold! 

Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR first appearances! A number one issue, classic cover AND recently acquired by DISNEY!!

Keygasm inc  

0291E6EE-CF83-41EB-B03C-F50ED094F6D2.jpeg

On 4/10/2018 at 7:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

One of those books is not like the others, but yeah, popular covers are just popular covers, not important stories.

Yeah, any niche will likely have issues that are harder to find (either in general or in grade) and/or that are more in demand for other reasons, which will affect prices.

Within this subset, there are keys to buy. You're making an extreme definition of "key" which I believe is far too exclusionary. 

For example, a "key" within the 30 cent variant set is Kid Colt 208. That book is by far the hardest to find and a key to any set - therefore, when you are putting that set together, it is a "key". Is it a "key" like Amazing Fantasy 15? Of course not.

27 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Within this subset, there are keys to buy. You're making an extreme definition of "key" which I believe is far too exclusionary. 

For example, a "key" within the 30 cent variant set is Kid Colt 208. That book is by far the hardest to find and a key to any set - therefore, when you are putting that set together, it is a "key". Is it a "key" like Amazing Fantasy 15? Of course not.

well said !!! I think we had the same conversation 10 years ago about "grail " as well

Edited by Fantastic Thor

On 4/12/2018 at 8:50 PM, The Heckler said:
On 4/12/2018 at 7:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

Content, as always.

Oh your that guy. Kk th4nkz for inf0z. So this is a thread about CPVs, do you have any to show off?

Glibly dismissing people's posts because you don't have a valid counterargument is a good way to land you on the persona non grata list around here.

If you can make a rational, logical response, do so. Everyone is enriched by thoughtful, well-reasoned discussion. Otherwise, this is the message board of the premier comic book grading company, not the Hannah Montana fanclub.

You can always tell...it's the ones who can't spell "you're."

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:
On 4/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, Lazyboy said:

One of those books is not like the others, but yeah, popular covers are just popular covers, not important stories.

Yeah, any niche will likely have issues that are harder to find (either in general or in grade) and/or that are more in demand for other reasons, which will affect prices.

Except that there's nothing in this set that would compare in any reasonable way to KC #208. Your admiration of 95 cent Marvels notwithstanding, there's nothing that's "key" simply because it's a hard(er) to find example of the canadian versions. 

And even KC #208 will forever have to be qualified with "...within the 30 cent variant set."

By the way...while I was at C2E2, I had the unfortunate displeasure of attempting to deal with a french canadian dealer, whose name escapes me at the moment, who had about 7 long boxes of canadian versions. I looked through a few of them, picked out a few, but he was asking absurd prices (as he does on everything he sells) for all of them...starting at $10 each. And, of course, he combines overpricing with overgrading, for a double whammy of a rip off.

Granted, it's a fun subset, but let's be realistic, here: F/VF copies of the vast majority of these books aren't worth $10 (and, of course, he gets the advantage of being paid in the currently much more valuable US$1, even though his inventory doesn't get re-priced when he crosses the border.) A Justice League International #12 isn't worth $15US. Sorry.

That wasn't so bad...but after I was done looking, and had pulled out perhaps 6-7 of these books, I decided I didn't want them, but while still thinking about other books I had pulled..and the guy, after talking with some other dealer about religious nonsense, starts to blitch and lecture about pulling out stuff, then not buying it. I was taken aback that a dealer would talk to a potential customer like that...especially while I was still deciding on the other books. He actually said "why are you wasting my time? I thought you wanted these. Now I have to put these back!!"

Boo. Effing. Hoo.

If you can't manage your inventory, you don't belong selling it. Customers have the right to pull whatever they want to look at, and if they ultimately decide they don't want to buy it, not be lectured about it. That's how retail sales works.

I put the stack I was contemplating down, and started to walk away....and he was still blitching:  "you shouldn't be pulling things you're not going to buy..." 

I walked back to him and said "I'm sorry, but is there something wrong with you? You don't talk to customers that way. If you don't want to put things back, you ought not be working in retail."

Can you imagine Macy*s blitching at customers for not putting the clothes they decided not to buy back on the racks...?

I was amazed that a dealer would talk to anyone that way, but apparently, this guy has a poor reputation going back many years. What a . It's a shame, too, because I probably would have happily paid $3/book for a good chunk of them. But, no no, must get every penny.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
This week's Superman secret code: FX7L4-Y2

20 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Except that there's nothing in this set that would compare in any reasonable way to KC #208. Your admiration of 95 cent Marvels notwithstanding, there's nothing that's "key" simply because it's a hard(er) to find example of the canadian versions. 

And even KC #208 will forever have to be qualified with "...within the 30 cent variant set."

Disagree. Swamp Thing 21, Swamp Thing 37, Teen Titans 44 - those are Copper Age "keys" in any sense of the word anyways, and within the Canadian cover price set, they are the keys of keys. Again, I believe you're making an extreme use of the word "key," one that I'm not using. Within the set, there are keys.

Is Teen Titans 44 a "key" in the normal sense - I would argue yes, but that's a different argument. Is Batman 423 a key within the Canadian cover price set? Absolutely.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...while I was at C2E2, I had the unfortunate displeasure of attempting to deal with a french canadian dealer, whose name escapes me at the moment, who had about 7 long boxes of canadian versions. I looked through a few of them, picked out a few, but he was asking absurd prices (as he does on everything he sells) for all of them...starting at $10 each. And, of course, he combines overpricing with overgrading, for a double whammy of a rip off.

Granted, it's a fun subset, but let's be realistic, here: F/VF copies of the vast majority of these books aren't worth $10 (and, of course, he gets the advantage of being paid in the currently much more valuable US$1, even though his inventory doesn't get re-priced when he crosses the border.) A Justice League International #12 isn't worth $15US. Sorry.

That wasn't so bad...but after I was done looking, and had pulled out perhaps 6-7 of these book, I decided I didn't want them, but while still thinking about other books I had pulled..and the guy, after talking with some other dealer about religious nonsense, starts to person_without_enough_empathy and lecture about pulling out stuff, then not buying it. I was temporarily blown away that a dealer would talk to a potential customer like that...especially while I was still deciding on the other books. He actually said "why are you wasting my time? I thought you wanted these. Now I have to put these back!!"

Boo. Effing. Hoo.

If you can't manage your inventory, you don't belong selling it. Customers have the right to pull whatever they want to look at, and if they ultimately decide they don't want to buy it, not be lectured about it. That's how retail sales works.

I put the stack I was contemplating down, and started to walk away....and he was still person_without_enough_empathying: "you shouldn't be pulling things you're not going to buy..." 

I walked back to him and said "I'm sorry, but is there something wrong with you? You don't talk to customers that way. If you don't want to put things back, you ought not be working in retail."

Can you imagine Macy*s person_without_enough_empathying at customers for not putting the clothes they decided not to buy back on the racks...?

I was amazed that a dealer would talk to anyone that way, but apparently, this guy has a poor reputation going back many years. What a . It's a shame, too, because I probably would have happily paid $3/book for a good chunk of them. But, no no, must get every penny.

I know who that guy is. He's a pain in the , and I just avoid him.

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

He does the canadian shows... all of them ....

the boys and I don't really chat with them..

HOWEVER A TIP .....

His wife is cute and nice to me. I always go to her first and she helps me. She is the only woman working there usually , maybe 50 years old , helps and watches books. I will get her name in Calgary next weekend for you guys ;)

Just incase you see them next year she is friendly.

9 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I know his name, but it's slipped my mind. Something to do with military or something? 

I almost laughed out loud at his behavior. "If you don't want these, why did you pull them out?" 

Uh...because I wanted to LOOK at them...?

:screwy: