• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Then that's not an actual sales result...right?

Despite the fact that an actual transaction may have taken place, it's not an actual sales result.

The beauty is, shilling only accounts for a tiny fraction of transactions. Even the most ardent shillers cannot make even a dent on the sum total of transactions. So, the information is GENERALLY going to be quite accurate. 

We need not focus on the exceptions to have a valid rule.

True, true. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What do you think of the 1999/2000 research by the way Rock. Given the subjects you've posted in, I always wondered why it didn't interest you enough to comment / contribute?

As I think I told you before, I am gathering my own information. When I have something I feel is worth contributing, I will. Right now, I don't have anything of value to add, in my opinion. You've done a fine job documenting things so far. No snark intended, here. 

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

As I think I told you before, I am gathering my own information. When I have something I feel is worth contributing, I will. Right now, I don't have anything of value to add, in my opinion. You've done a fine job documenting things so far. No snark intended, here. 

Cool, if you did say that I missed it, hence the invites. I stopped looking but maintain an interest. I'd love to hear your thoughts though, so flag me up if you ever do post anything (thumbsu

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Cool, if you did say that I missed it, hence the invites. I stopped looking but maintain an interest. I'd love to hear your thoughts though, so flag me up if you ever do post anything (thumbsu

I'm not ignoring you and Donut. I'm trying to do some research of my own. It's a very interesting topic. I contributed a bit, but I think Lazyboy was correct about my initial analysis (i.e., I was wrong about where and why.) You know me, I'm a "get your ducks in a row" kinda guy

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm not ignoring you and Donut. I'm trying to do some research of my own. It's a very interesting topic. I contributed a bit, but I think Lazyboy was correct about my initial analysis (i.e., I was wrong about where and why.) You know me, I'm a "get your ducks in a row" kinda guy

Plus, I really was trying not to post anymore, but...I let myself get sucked back in. Entirely on me. :cry:

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Plus, I really was trying not to post anymore, but...I let myself get sucked back in. Entirely on me. :cry:

There's a Godfather gif due along any minute.... :D

54 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Doug Sulipa is well respected. However, the other collaborators on the project, including Jon McClure, are not. Mr. McClure claims to be "the discoverer" of 30 and 35 cent variants, despite the fact that they were attested as far back as the 1979 Overstreet Price Guide (Star Wars #1.) Various other 30 cent variants were mentioned in the OPG in the ensuing years. One cannot claim, much like Christopher Columbus, to be the "discoverer" of an already known fact, even if the extent of that fact is not known or has been forgotten.

There were several of us...including @FlyingDonut...who were well aware of the 30 and 35 cent variants long before Mr. McClure's "discovery." We just didn't realize the extent until the advent of the internet.

As I am mentioned in the above, I will relate the specific story here:

I began (along with @underthebigw ) to try to put together a 30 cent variant set in 1996-1997. We scoured the area around here, as since Baltimore was a 30 cent variant test market they are (relatively) available. The McClure article was released in Comic Book Marketplace 55, which came out in that time frame. Overstreet started splitting them out in the 1998 edition. How do I know this? Because one of the old school Baltimore comic dealers ( @jools&jimcan give stories about him as well) from Comic Heaven - who ONLY TOOK CASH - had stacks of 30 centers and in the week interim between when I went to his warehouse to buy a pile of them with cash and then to come back the following weekend with more cash to buy the rest, jacked up the prices.

For Jon McClure to say he "discovered" 30 cent variants is at best taking sole ownership for something that was developing from several people. I would argue that the main driver for 30 cent variant awareness was @underthebigwand his Scarcity Index, which essentially still holds, 20 years later. That website was the first to verify that all variants did, in fact, exist.

28 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

We can take it to PM if you'd like. I am 100% positive that one of the 1999-2000 test markets was upstate Western New York, specifically the Jamestown area.

11 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I began (along with @underthebigw ) to try to put together a 30 cent variant set in 1996-1997. We scoured the area around here, as since Baltimore was a 30 cent variant test market they are (relatively) available. The McClure article was released in Comic Book Marketplace 55, which came out in that time frame. Overstreet started splitting them out in the 1998 edition. How do I know this? Because one of the old school Baltimore comic dealers ( @jools&jimcan give stories about him as well) from Comic Heaven - who ONLY TOOK CASH - had stacks of 30 centers and in the week interim between when I went to his warehouse to buy a pile of them with cash and then to come back the following weekend with more cash to buy the rest, jacked up the prices.

For Jon McClure to say he "discovered" 30 cent variants is at best taking sole ownership for something that was developing from several people. I would argue that the main driver for 30 cent variant awareness was @underthebigwand his Scarcity Index, which essentially still holds, 20 years later. That website was the first to verify that all variants did, in fact, exist.

Thanks for posting that FD. I don't like to see people who put lots of effort in dismissed,  but I also don't think people should claim that which is not theirs to claim. Has anyone not put this to Jon? 

I was going to contact him myself regarding the pence related content of his work, to offer up a number of additions and corrections, if you're wondering why I'm interested. 

Edited by Get Marwood & I

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Unless I'm mistaken, San Jose, CA was also a 30 cent test market, so I ran across them with regularity, too. I wish I'd been more interested in them at the time, but the whole uncertainty regarding the early Direct market versions being "reprints" was still in effect, so I was hesitant to buy them for more than regular issues would cost, and I was in college, so I was focused on other things. This would have been 1992-1996-ish. Suffice it to say, the mix of early Direct versions being identified as "reprints" by Overstreet was what really threw a wrench into the equation for me...I was just too terrified to buy a dreaded reprint.

Hell, I could have been the "discoverer" of 30/35 cent variants, if I'd only set my mind to it. :D 

But I go back to the fact that, in several mid-80's OPGs and Updates, 30 cent variants (X-Men #98-100, for example) were explicitly mentioned...hard to "discover" something that was already known.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks for posting that FD. I don't like to see people who put lots of effort in dismissed,

I didn't dismiss him. I simply stated that his claim to being the "discoverer" of the 30/35 cent variants is a false one, and those who make claims that are false, when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary, aren't deserving of much respect. That doesn't dismiss his other efforts, but it does cast a bit of a question over it.

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I didn't dismiss him. I simply stated that his claim to being the "discoverer" of the 30/35 cent variants is a false one, and those who make claims that are false, when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary, aren't deserving of much respect. That doesn't dismiss his other efforts, but it does cast a bit of a question over it.

I didn't mean you directly Rock, just thinking out loud really. I think the word 'discovered' is the key here. In theory,  every person who bought a copy of the very first 30 cent variant from the newsstand, and spotted the price was different, 'discovered' it. But who was the first person to bring the concept,  from a comic collector community perspective,  to the wider audience? 

A year or so ago, the board member EwanUK posted a single image of the indicia of a Marvel book showing an L Miller indicia. No one batted an eyelid.

Fast forward a year, here's my thread,  based on his 'discovery':

In the absence of any other candidates, who 'discovered ' them? Ewan in theory,  as he brought them to my attention. But look what I did since. Maybe Jon and others like him would be better to say 'promoted the wider understanding of' than 'discovered'. Maybe if we put that to them, they would  hm

Edited by Get Marwood & I

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Unless I'm mistaken, San Jose, CA was also a 30 cent test market, so I ran across them with regularity, too. I wish I'd been more interested in them at the time, but the whole uncertainty regarding the early Direct market versions being "reprints" was still in effect, so I was hesitant to buy them for more than regular issues would cost, and I was in college, so I was focused on other things. This would have been 1992-1996-ish. Suffice it to say, the mix of early Direct versions being identified as "reprints" by Overstreet was what really threw a wrench into the equation for me...I was just too terrified to buy a dreaded reprint.

Hell, I could have been the "discoverer" of 30/35 cent variants, if I'd only set my mind to it. :D 

But I go back to the fact that, in several mid-80's OPGs and Updates, 30 cent variants (X-Men #98-100, for example) were explicitly mentioned...hard to "discover" something that was already known.

San Jose was a 30, also a 35.

I have now noticed that New Talent showcase went newsstand from Issue 7 to at least issue 13 - so these should also be added to the list of potential DC CNS; on the other hand - this oddity I spotted on Mile high where the newsstand edition of Who's Who... issue 17 has a newsstand UPC but incorrectly retains the direct market triple currency pricing may mean that no CNS edition exists for this issue. 

95507344904.17.NEWSSTAND.jpg

Edited by David Buck
correcting 6 to 7

This one was tough to find in grade. 

Last ish. I guess using all three Kuberts at once was just too much uber-Kubert rockin Qbert for the title to go on. /salute to SGT. R

Does anyone know when the 1.35 window opened and closed on these books? Bats 423 came out a few months later than this book and It has a 1.00 cover. Why the disparate pricing on two different DC properties in the same small window?

7F701039-2EF6-4FC3-877E-9DAFF98F08DD.jpeg

Edited by The Heckler
To add more awesome