• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

Too bad about the moisture staining on the back cover. You should have talked to me at the Expo - I had a nice copy tucked in one of the boxes...........

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, kimik said:

George puts off a lot of people at first with his approach, but he is an okay guy once you get past that. He buys stuff from us all the time - keys, sets, $1 box filler, variants, etc. George will always ask for a deal, but he is willing to negotiate a fair price for both sides in the end on most books. There are worse dealers to deal with.............

It amazes me at how much he, and the other Toronto/Quebec dealers that come out, can sell stuff for down East. As an example, a couple of years ago he cleaned us out of our raw Killing Joke 1st prints at $60 (VF) - $80 (NM-) apiece since he could get $120 - $150 back home (makes me wonder if I need to do a road trip for a couple of shows down East to sell books to suckers at double what I normally charge lol ). 

Nah, George is an . I had the very distinct displeasure of dealing with him and the lady who was working his booth with him (his wife maybe?) at the San Francisco Con this last weekend. To make a very long story short... he had these "Today's Special" signs all over his booth. I bypassed most of the modern and silver age books and went through the Golden Age books. Yes. Most were low grade beaters that were overpriced, but they had price stickers on them. Yet amongst them I found a handful of books that weren't priced and after looking through them I found 3 that I thought were cool. I then grabbed the priced Wilbur book and was content to check out.

I walk up and present my comics and get a response of "these don't have prices, I'll have to look them up". I'm confused. I say they should be three dollars and point to the sign that is right behind him. He gives me the line back about these aren't included. I'm like, there's no sign saying these aren't included. This goes back and forth for a bit and he gets more agitated and says he wont' sell them to me. Then expects me to buy the priced Wilbur book, to which I tell him that I don't want anything from him if he's not honoring his posted sale prices. I ask his business name and he refuses to tell me, saying I don't need to know. He gets even more agitated and then asks where I found the books so I show him. There's a bunch of priced books and then several unpriced books in the boxes. He tries to tell me that they're not included but I tell him there's nothing saying that these books are excluded from his sale and there is a sign 2 feet away from them. He's getting even more annoyed and finally throws the comics at me yelling at me to "just take them for free" and how I'm "robbing him".   I'm completely perplexed that anyone would behave in such a manner, especially towards a customer, but I grab the comics off the ground and then the lady comes around the corner and asks what's going on. I tell her that the guy is mad about sale pricing and is throwing comics at me telling me to take them for free. She grabs them out of my hand and says that they're hers and that he can't do that. I tell her fine, and ask if they're not selling at $3, what do they want for them. She then looks at them and tells me that she she won't sell them to me at $3 and that she will have to look up pricing online for them. I decline saying I don't need to pay inflated online pricing and they should know what their books are priced at, and really should be honoring their advertised prices (even if it was a mistake).

So yeah, back to your regularly scheduled thread here, but my search for ComicAge lead me here and I can honestly say dude is the worst most unprofessional seller that I have ever come across at any show ever.

sign.jpg

comics.jpg

16 hours ago, oceans11 said:

Nah, George is an . I had the very distinct displeasure of dealing with him and the lady who was working his booth with him (his wife maybe?) at the San Francisco Con this last weekend. To make a very long story short... he had these "Today's Special" signs all over his booth. I bypassed most of the modern and silver age books and went through the Golden Age books. Yes. Most were low grade beaters that were overpriced, but they had price stickers on them. Yet amongst them I found a handful of books that weren't priced and after looking through them I found 3 that I thought were cool. I then grabbed the priced Wilbur book and was content to check out.

I walk up and present my comics and get a response of "these don't have prices, I'll have to look them up". I'm confused. I say they should be three dollars and point to the sign that is right behind him. He gives me the line back about these aren't included. I'm like, there's no sign saying these aren't included. This goes back and forth for a bit and he gets more agitated and says he wont' sell them to me. Then expects me to buy the priced Wilbur book, to which I tell him that I don't want anything from him if he's not honoring his posted sale prices. I ask his business name and he refuses to tell me, saying I don't need to know. He gets even more agitated and then asks where I found the books so I show him. There's a bunch of priced books and then several unpriced books in the boxes. He tries to tell me that they're not included but I tell him there's nothing saying that these books are excluded from his sale and there is a sign 2 feet away from them. He's getting even more annoyed and finally throws the comics at me yelling at me to "just take them for free" and how I'm "robbing him".   I'm completely perplexed that anyone would behave in such a manner, especially towards a customer, but I grab the comics off the ground and then the lady comes around the corner and asks what's going on. I tell her that the guy is mad about sale pricing and is throwing comics at me telling me to take them for free. She grabs them out of my hand and says that they're hers and that he can't do that. I tell her fine, and ask if they're not selling at $3, what do they want for them. She then looks at them and tells me that she she won't sell them to me at $3 and that she will have to look up pricing online for them. I decline saying I don't need to pay inflated online pricing and they should know what their books are priced at, and really should be honoring their advertised prices (even if it was a mistake).

So yeah, back to your regularly scheduled thread here, but my search for ComicAge lead me here and I can honestly say dude is the worst most unprofessional seller that I have ever come across at any show ever.

Have you dealt with them before? This is a common complaint I hear from other buyers the first time that they deal with them (in addition to the high prices that he then discounts to market rate a la Mile High).

I like dealing with him as a seller since he will always buy bulk books you are trying to blow out that local stores will not. This past Calgary Expo he bought 7 longs of sets and $2 bin books from me that have been slow movers the past couple of years of shows (basically bulk orders and collection odds and ends that my cost was $0 on a that point). He also paid prices I was fine with on a number of other books I was selling. It took a couple of years to get to the point where dealing with him is smooth, but it is worth it for me now as a selller.

23 minutes ago, kimik said:

Have you dealt with them before? This is a common complaint I hear from other buyers the first time that they deal with them (in addition to the high prices that he then discounts to market rate a la Mile High).

I like dealing with him as a seller since he will always buy bulk books you are trying to blow out that local stores will not. This past Calgary Expo he bought 7 longs of sets and $2 bin books from me that have been slow movers the past couple of years of shows (basically bulk orders and collection odds and ends that my cost was $0 on a that point). He also paid prices I was fine with on a number of other books I was selling. It took a couple of years to get to the point where dealing with him is smooth, but it is worth it for me now as a selller.

Never dealt with him before. Pretty much won't deal with him again. Probably a very different experience between trying to buy from him and sell stuff to him.

Sorry for sidelining the thread a little here, but I wanted to share my experience with this guy.

No worries. 

To get this thread back on track, here is a pick up from a LCS ac couple of weeks ago (price is in CDN) - the tatooz are intact. The store had it priced at regular edition Overstreet levels in grade, but I decided to take it anyway....................................

744531628_ASM238Cdnsolo.thumb.jpg.d79dd1458bd1cbc5d52905c4213b172b.jpg

21 hours ago, oceans11 said:

sign.jpg

comics.jpg

Yup. That's the guy I dealt with at C2E2.

11 hours ago, kimik said:

No worries. 

To get this thread back on track, here is a pick up from a LCS ac couple of weeks ago (price is in CDN) - the tatooz are intact. The store had it priced at regular edition Overstreet levels in grade, but I decided to take it anyway....................................

744531628_ASM238Cdnsolo.thumb.jpg.d79dd1458bd1cbc5d52905c4213b172b.jpg

That’s a tough book one I’m after to shorten my list to complete ASM run of Canadian variants