• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

Swamp thing 37 is super tough. I haven’t seen one above 9.0 in the last year or so. (All the ST keys seem very scarce. Especially 25, 49 and 50) 

Bats 423 is also very hard to find. (last issue of the DC CPV window 10/88)

SGT rock 422, DC COMICS PRESENTS 87, TEC 583 have all been really difficult for me to find even mid grade copies. 

XMen 201, Bats 404 and Wolverine 3 are more available but very difficult above 9.0 because of the black covers.

23 hours ago, The Heckler said:

Swamp thing 37 is super tough. I haven’t seen one above 9.0 in the last year or so. (All the ST keys seem very scarce. Especially 25, 49 and 50) 

Bats 423 is also very hard to find. (last issue of the DC CPV window 10/88)

SGT rock 422, DC COMICS PRESENTS 87, TEC 583 have all been really difficult for me to find even mid grade copies. 

XMen 201, Bats 404 and Wolverine 3 are more available but very difficult above 9.0 because of the black covers.

So seems that it's mostly DC books that are scarce (no need to wonder why ;) ).  

I've got copies of all these books though I think only a couple are Canadian editions.  My Wolvie 3 is mo OO copy I bought off the stands at Perette's convenience store and it's got a few spine ticks...the rest I'm not sure about.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:12 PM, davidpg said:

So seems that it's mostly DC books that are scarce (no need to wonder why ;) ).  

I've got copies of all these books though I think only a couple are Canadian editions.  My Wolvie 3 is mo OO copy I bought off the stands at Perette's convenience store and it's got a few spine ticks...the rest I'm not sure about.

There are plenty of hard to find late run Marvel books as well, especially the Star Comics titles. Thor #370 is an example of a tough in high grade Marvel CPV, as well as ASM #238 and GI Joe #21. 

Batman #423 is actually quite common in high grade. I have bought and sold off several the past few years. Remember, back then Batman was a top seller that was just coming off of the success of TDK and Year One. The spinner racks were full of Batman, Tec, X-Men and Spider-books. Family friends owned one of the grocery stores in town (I grew up in a small town with a population of 1150) and the only titles they ordered 10+ copies of on a regular basis were Batman, Tec, Uncanny X-Men and ASM, and those would be the only four titles that would sell out right away. Everything else would have one or two copies sit for a couple of weeks and then be returned. 

I’m actually quite shocked you have been able to find Bats 423 plentiful in high grade. My experience has been very different in the CPV hunt. The census only shows 4 copies total compared to 73 ASM 238s. I have found ASM in particular to be the easiest to find. Im definitely in the market for a nice high grade copy of 423 if you find another copy, please pm me.

It must depend on where you are located. I have come across a number of DC collections, LCSs, and sellers at shows with HG copies of Batman #423 CDN the past 5 years. It was much nicer a couple of years ago when you were paying $20 max for them in 9.4 or better.........

ST 37 is out there, but that is a book that does not tend to surface often since it has been considered a key for a long time. FWIW, I have found ST 21 in 9.4 or better as a tougher book to find. The black cover is a killer. Same goes for Flash #323 - I kind of miss my old CGC 9.8 CDN of that. 

Some of the hardest books to find in HG are the low demand/oddball Marvel and DC titles, but there is not much demand for most of them either. 

I have 5 long-boxes of "Canadian Variants", from '83-'89, about 95% Marvel.  I remember at the time thinking that the "Direct" issues (with the Spider-Man head) were so much cooler, but living in northern BC we had no close comic shops, so all of my issues came from either the gas station or the drug store.

My LCS has their dollar bin at 50% off this week and I came across this Hawkeye #1 while I was there and decided to get it. I didn't even realize it was a "Canadian Variant" until I started going through some of this thread. I'm not sure on grading, but other than the yellowing cover, the corners are slightly smoothed and that's about it.

IMG_20181122_003615525~2.jpg

Found another tough late 95 cent Marvel. Thor’s last CPV. Black covers always try to kill the sexy. Fun John Buscema one shot tucked inside the Simonson run. Often reprinted in Thor compilation books.

6E3A2765-1A72-41FF-BC76-63C056C505CB.jpeg

Edited by The Heckler
More awesome

Christmas came early this year! Lucked out finding this one. I have a few copies of number 1 but the 2 was much harder to find. Nice clean copy. CGC doesn’t have any graded yet. (Correctly at least) Mine might be the first. It’s going out in a new batch after the first of the year. Any guesses on grade?

241BE81A-DC18-4783-BB80-C22B9ACA9723.jpeg

6 hours ago, The Heckler said:

Christmas came early this year! Lucked out finding this one. I have a few copies of number 1 but the 2 was much harder to find. Nice clean copy. CGC doesn’t have any graded yet. (Correctly at least) Mine might be the first. It’s going out in a new batch after the first of the year. Any guesses on grade?

241BE81A-DC18-4783-BB80-C22B9ACA9723.jpeg

.5 .... your missing the back cover :baiting:

Front looks 9.2 ...possibly 9.4