• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I will be receiving a CPV of Detective Comics # 583 back from CGC, graded at 9.6, later this week. Based on the census, it is the highest in existence, with no others equaling it. I am planning on eventually selling it, but am in a quandary as to what the value might be. Can anyone suggest any other comparable CPV that might exist that would allow me to gauge an appropriate value? I know that I can always just put it up in an auction on eBay, but the final auction price really depends on who is looking for that particular issue that week. #583 isn't necessarily a huge key that everyone is searching out, but I feel the CPV collectors know that it is a rare book, in high grade or not.

Thanks in advance for any help!

42 minutes ago, ExPegger said:

Based on the census, it is the highest in existence, with no others equaling it.

So then the question becomes "How many copies were improperly identified/labelled and are they of equal or higher grade?" :frown:

41 minutes ago, ExPegger said:

Hi folks, I will be receiving a CPV of Detective Comics # 583 back from CGC, graded at 9.6, later this week. Based on the census, it is the highest in existence, with no others equaling it. I am planning on eventually selling it, but am in a quandary as to what the value might be. Can anyone suggest any other comparable CPV that might exist that would allow me to gauge an appropriate value? I know that I can always just put it up in an auction on eBay, but the final auction price really depends on who is looking for that particular issue that week. #583 isn't necessarily a huge key that everyone is searching out, but I feel the CPV collectors know that it is a rare book, in high grade or not.

Thanks in advance for any help!

That seems pretty nice, as a minor key with a nice cover.  It's great to be the lone high grade, although the value would plummet in the event someone gets a 9.8, which in theory is possible (as opposed to having the lone 9.8).  And yes that hasn't happened yet, but not having the actual '9.8' does impact price, even with the high grade in a specialized subset.

If I were interested in finding out the price, I'd look at other minor key comics from that era, and do some grade comparisons of various populations in high grade, and/or compare Canadian CGC prices vs regular in similar grades, maybe there's some trends and you can extrapolate or estimate reasonable ranges. Of course you have to account for sample size, and you'll probably make some assumptions that make sense to you (but maybe not others). 

If there's data on 9.4's you can use that as a starting point and just list at 3x that price and assess interest on ebay and take offers. 

4 minutes ago, revat said:

That seems pretty nice, as a minor key with a nice cover.  It's great to be the lone high grade, although the value would plummet in the event someone gets a 9.8, which in theory is possible (as opposed to having the lone 9.8).  And yes that hasn't happened yet, but not having the actual '9.8' does impact price, even with the high grade in a specialized subset.

If I were interested in finding out the price, I'd look at other minor key comics from that era, and do some grade comparisons of various populations in high grade, and/or compare Canadian CGC prices vs regular in similar grades, maybe there's some trends and you can extrapolate or estimate reasonable ranges. Of course you have to account for sample size, and you'll probably make some assumptions that make sense to you (but maybe not others). 

If there's data on 9.4's you can use that as a starting point and just list at 3x that price and assess interest on ebay and take offers. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Agreed that having a 9.6 as opposed to 9.8 is a precarious position to be in. With that in mind, selling sooner rather than later is the smart move. No sales data on graded CPV copies, 9.4 or otherwise, but I guess that is to be expected with only 3 total graded copies in existence. A lower grade raw sold in (literally) 10 minutes on eBay last month, so obviously it was under-priced.  In the end I'll probably just need to throw it up for auction and let the market decide. Thanks again!

32 minutes ago, ExPegger said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Agreed that having a 9.6 as opposed to 9.8 is a precarious position to be in. With that in mind, selling sooner rather than later is the smart move. No sales data on graded CPV copies, 9.4 or otherwise, but I guess that is to be expected with only 3 total graded copies in existence. A lower grade raw sold in (literally) 10 minutes on eBay last month, so obviously it was under-priced.  In the end I'll probably just need to throw it up for auction and let the market decide. Thanks again!

If it helps you at all, I personally sold a 1st App Blue Devil - Firestorm 24 CPV NM+ raw (probably a 9.6) for $40 here on the boards.  I don't know the CGC stats on that one, but I sold it last summer.  You can use or not use that data point as much as you like.  Good luck.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:45 PM, bellrules said:

Some finds from the Red and White show in Calgary, this past weekend.  Cannot resist Captain Carrot of Cheryl Blossom issues. 

161AAAE6-FE19-425D-A849-8FCF0A780412.jpeg

I still have my whole CPV run of Captain Carrot I bought of the stands here in good ol' Montreal :)