• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, chasehasadog82 said:

Does anybody here own the G.I. Joe #21 9.8 CPV? I didn’t realize there was only one on the census. I’ll try the Joe thread too

The census is all but useless for Canadian Newsstands. Trust it at your own peril.

So I found an LCS that has a number of random, less interesting DC CPV books (Teen Titans, Hawkman LS, etc.) and they seem to be VF and up.  Wondering if I should just grab them all....

On 8/31/2020 at 9:07 AM, davidpg said:

So I found an LCS that has a number of random, less interesting DC CPV books (Teen Titans, Hawkman LS, etc.) and they seem to be VF and up.  Wondering if I should just grab them all....

If they are in Fine condition is there value to them even if they are CPV? 

I ask because I have a few CPV that don't fit in my collection and I am trying to figure out what to do with them

Edited by Ares

20 minutes ago, Ares said:

I ask because I have a few CPV that don't fit in my collection and I am trying to figure out what to do with them

I"d actually like to know the answer to this too as it pertains to a lot of the CPV I already have ;)

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:09 AM, Ares said:
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 6:07 AM, davidpg said:

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:30 AM, davidpg said:
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:09 AM, Ares said:

I"d actually like to know the answer to this too as it pertains to a lot of the CPV I already have ;)

Assuming they are "commons" non-key but from relatively 'major' or 'real' titles, it would depend on what venues are available to you to sell.  Whereas normal editions might be in your dollar box at a store, the Canadian editions in ok grade might be worth $3-$5 if you get lucky with the buyer.  So that might not be worth an ebay listing, but if you're hauling boxes to a flea market or convention, or selling hundreds of books here in a big sale on the boards, it might be worth it.  At $2 each for grades VF  and up, I might not go to the store to especially to buy them, but if I was already there and planning to buy other stuff, I'd strongly consider it, especially if I was planning to have a big sale soon *at a show or on the boards) anyways.  But I also like oddities more than the average person.

14 hours ago, revat said:

Assuming they are "commons" non-key but from relatively 'major' or 'real' titles, it would depend on what venues are available to you to sell.  Whereas normal editions might be in your dollar box at a store, the Canadian editions in ok grade might be worth $3-$5 if you get lucky with the buyer.  So that might not be worth an ebay listing, but if you're hauling boxes to a flea market or convention, or selling hundreds of books here in a big sale on the boards, it might be worth it.  At $2 each for grades VF  and up, I might not go to the store to especially to buy them, but if I was already there and planning to buy other stuff, I'd strongly consider it, especially if I was planning to have a big sale soon *at a show or on the boards) anyways.  But I also like oddities more than the average person.

Ok Assuming it is a key and it is great condition whats how does someone determine the price difference? I have a few CPV GI Joe books that have a change at high grade on submission. Just trying to determine value

13 minutes ago, Ares said:

Ok Assuming it is a key and it is great condition whats how does someone determine the price difference? I have a few CPV GI Joe books that have a change at high grade on submission. Just trying to determine value

Like a #21 CPV?  Any key CPV that I got a 9.8 or even 9.6 on, I would price higher but, like you, I struggle with pricing them.  I have three 9.8 CPVs, and the only one I could price accurately would be Thing #1 CGC 9.8, which goes for roughly $100-$150 more for a CPV over a US priced copy.  The other two are a Dazzler #23 which I would probably have to pay someone to take it because for the life of me, I don't know anyone other than myself who owns Dazzler comics and Uncanny X-Men #191.  I assume you looked at other listings or sales for ideas on values, but it can really be hard to determine some values as it's kind of a niche market.  I buy CPV and UKPV books and pricing is all over the place.  However, I would say that if you have books that don't have other high grade copies for sale, aim for the stars and see what happens.  I'm just shooting from the hip, so hopefully someone has better insight than my ramblings.  Good luck to you and I hope that you get high grades on whatever you submit.  

27 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

Like a #21 CPV?  Any key CPV that I got a 9.8 or even 9.6 on, I would price higher but, like you, I struggle with pricing them.  I have three 9.8 CPVs, and the only one I could price accurately would be Thing #1 CGC 9.8, which goes for roughly $100-$150 more for a CPV over a US priced copy.  The other two are a Dazzler #23 which I would probably have to pay someone to take it because for the life of me, I don't know anyone other than myself who owns Dazzler comics and Uncanny X-Men #191.  I assume you looked at other listings or sales for ideas on values, but it can really be hard to determine some values as it's kind of a niche market.  I buy CPV and UKPV books and pricing is all over the place.  However, I would say that if you have books that don't have other high grade copies for sale, aim for the stars and see what happens.  I'm just shooting from the hip, so hopefully someone has better insight than my ramblings.  Good luck to you and I hope that you get high grades on whatever you submit.  

Not 21 but G.I. Joe 27 snake eyes origin pt 2 and G.I. Joe 43 which has a value but for the life of me I cant see whats special

On 9/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, mec3437 said:

:hi::screwy::cloud9:

IMG_1317.thumb.jpg.28e879137803fe750a78035f325d5fb0.jpg

8 hours ago, ramrod44 said:

Cuz it's got a badass Mike Zeck cover! :applause:

GIJoe_43cgc9.8CPV.jpg?width=1920&height=

(worship) (worship) (worship) 

I think it is also later in the run of GI Joe CPVs so there could have been less of them produced.  I don't know too many people kicking down the door for Scrap-Iron's first appearance.  I want to say it ended at 50 + or - a few issues either way.  It's still really cool to see them in high grade.

Just scored another Alan Moore Swampy CPV key: :whatthe:

SagaST_21cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&height

This one doesn't have "Canadian Price Variant" or "Canadian Edition" on the CGC label so me thinks it snuck thru undetected as a CPV.  

My OCD is gonna force me to reholder it. :pullhair:

So for various reasons (flood, breakups, house purchases), I've had to move a few times over the last couple years. Finally made a permanent home for the bulk of my books in a large closet in one of the living rooms. Decided to start going through the books finally as they aren't sorted at all how I'd like them to be (I used to remember where they were until they got jumbled over a couple moves) and am starting by pulling out all things of greater interest first.  After I"ll start sorting each shelf and then combine them all properly.  That will be an over-the-winter project.

Regarding this thread, that long box on the floor is filled 2/3 at least with CPVs and I've only gone through about half those books.  I'm going to sort them all and make a list.  Keep in mind most of those CPVs were bought off the stands personally.  Will also post a couple other books of interest fron the pile.

IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9377.jpg

Edited by davidpg
Typo!