• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,872 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, CanadianGothic said:

It is complete :)

20210310_234254.jpg

20210310_234403.jpg

20210310_234433.jpg

Yahoo! Well centered copies too! 

Luck of the draw?

Sweet deal! I have my complete set of raws and a 8.9 #1, but you held out for the Canucks!

3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

A honest question here.  Whats with the now allure of Canadian price variants outside of proud Canadian collectors?   For most of my life those copies seems to not be very desirable. 

I can't speak for others, only myself.  For me, when I completed my Uncanny X-Men run I decided to start working on something different.  So I thought why not put together a run of Canadian and UK price variants for it as well.  In a way, it's just something different to look for.  I don't consider it any different than the people who only like to buy newsstand copies.  It's just something different for me to focus on, while still staying fairly engaged in the hobby from a collecting standpoint.  I completed the UXM CPV run (still working on the UK run), and am working on a few other little runs like Punisher and Dazzler.

As far as the overall collecting view on why CPVs have taken off, my guess would be scarcity.  The Canadian population is clearly less than that of the US, and since the CPVs were generally meant for newsstand distribution then it is possible there are fewer surviving high grade copies.  I don't know if Canadian newsstand distribution worked the same as the US or not (maybe someone else can chime in on that).  Plus, they have barcodes and those have proven to be highly desirable over the past few years.  Again, just my take on it, and not scientific at all.  

8 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

A honest question here.  Whats with the now allure of Canadian price variants outside of proud Canadian collectors?   For most of my life those copies seems to not be very desirable. 

Hype, hype, hype! (With lots of lies, lies, lies!)

On 3/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, Lazyboy said:

How so, are you referring to anything in particular?

:gossip: this entire hobby is currently driven on hype.

Me myself I love the fresh challenge, around a key period of books that I enjoyed when they first hit the shelves.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:44 AM, Lazyboy said:

And it drives me nuts as I've always looked for them just out of nostalgia,thought it'd be a cheap,easy niche spot sigh.

Here are a few I got as freebies at the local record store

-grabbed 2&3 also,but forgot to snap a pic.Epics are uncommon for myself to find at least,although I don't actively dig,just a nice surprise when one is in a box

159914461_469327604487994_13818370311855

159769772_256048829323171_39624766679458

On 9/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, ramrod44 said:

Just scored another Alan Moore Swampy CPV key: :whatthe:

SagaST_21cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&height

This one doesn't have "Canadian Price Variant" or "Canadian Edition" on the CGC label so me thinks it snuck thru undetected as a CPV.  

My OCD is gonna force me to reholder it. :pullhair:

Well.............I sent this book in for a squish and re-grade. Checked the website today and it has shipped. :banana: It's coming back to me graded NM/M 9.8! :headbang: That means I own the only 9.8 Swamp Thing #21 CPV on the census!! :whatthe: 

However, I also sent in a Silver Surfer #50 APV in with it. On the website the Silver Surfer is listed as an APV but the Swamp Thing #21 is not listed as a CPV so me thinks it snuck thru AGAIN without being labeled a CPV even though I listed it as such in the submission form. :facepalm: I tried sending them an e-mail to alert them of this possible error but they said that it was already in the shipping que and they couldn't pull it. Oh well, if it's not labeled as a CPV I guess I'll send it back with this other recent CGC label mistake and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Daredevil231cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&hei

In case anyone is interested, here is the Silver Surfer #50 APV(before submission). Wasn't sure what to expect from the CGC grade as I've read a wide range of opinions on HALO grading. I tried to press it but the 3D cover prevented that. The book still pulled the same grade from CGC, so in this instance, HALO was spot on.

SilverSurfer_50APV.jpg?width=1920&height

I'll post updated pics when I receive them.

21 minutes ago, ramrod44 said:

Well.............I sent this book in for a squish and re-grade. Checked the website today and it has shipped. :banana: It's coming back to me graded NM/M 9.8! :headbang: That means I own the only 9.8 Swamp Thing #21 CPV on the census!! :whatthe: 

That’s fantastic news.  Congratulations.  

The Squish Chronicle: :popcorn:

Before & After as promised.

SagaST_21cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&height

I noted on the submission form that it was a CPV. I even sent them an e-mail as soon as it was listed on the website but alas, the snapper-heads at CGC failed to notate it on the label as a CPV, AGAIN!! :facepalm:

SwampThing21cgc9.8CVP.jpg?width=1920&hei

1 of 1. How cool is that? :)