• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
19 19

2,869 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, ramrod44 said:

The Squish Chronicle: :popcorn:

Before & After as promised.

SagaST_21cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&height

I noted on the submission form that it was a CPV. I even sent them an e-mail as soon as it was listed on the website but alas, the snapper-heads at CGC failed to notate it on the label as a CPV, AGAIN!! :facepalm:

SwampThing21cgc9.8CVP.jpg?width=1920&hei

1 of 1. How cool is that? :)

Now you need to send in a 9.8 #37.  The highest CPV for that issue currently is a 9.6. 

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

8 minutes ago, ramrod44 said:

I noted on the submission form that it was a CPV. I even sent them an e-mail as soon as it was listed on the website but alas, the snapper-heads at CGC failed to notate it on the label as a CPV, AGAIN!! :facepalm:

If it happened to you, why do you assume it didn't happen to somebody (or everybody) else? Never trust the CGC Census for accurate Canadian Newsstand counts.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

If it happened to you, why do you assume it didn't happen to somebody (or everybody) else? Never trust the CGC Census for accurate Canadian Newsstand counts.

Thanks Captain Killjoy, I know if they missed mine (twice) that there are probably several out there but until noted on the census or somebody sees em.....................1 of 1. 

This one is still my favorite Swamp Thing of your’s though

On 3/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, ramrod44 said:

Well.............I sent this book in for a squish and re-grade. Checked the website today and it has shipped. :banana: It's coming back to me graded NM/M 9.8! :headbang: That means I own the only 9.8 Swamp Thing #21 CPV on the census!! :whatthe: 

I'll post updated pics when I receive them.

64AFD05E-C44D-425A-B773-0393AF74A815.png

5 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This one is still my favorite Swamp Thing of your’s though

64AFD05E-C44D-425A-B773-0393AF74A815.png

The first 10 issues of the Bronze Age run are what hooked me on comics. Superhero comics were just too cheesy and campy for me. In Swamp Thing, many mofos died, no camp or cheese, just dark and thrilling. Those issues will always hold a special place in my heart. Wein & Wrightson at their best!

22 hours ago, ramrod44 said:

The Squish Chronicle: :popcorn:

Before & After as promised.

SagaST_21cgc9.6CPV.jpg?width=1920&height

SwampThing21cgc9.8CVP.jpg?width=1920&hei

Very nice. I've had three copies of this and all three have a weird production issue with the top staple.

2 hours ago, CanadianGothic said:
10 hours ago, Microchip said:

These seemed to off tripled/quadrupled in value in the last month or two.

Yes, a lot of books have increased significantly in these stimulus/covid times.

lol yes indeed! Seemingly My Batman #357 cgc 9.6 that was mislabeled that I got for $210 shipped, that I also had to send in to get correctly labeled, isn't for sale but is currently its "going price" that it has always been (shrug) idk haha

21 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Im from Canada and we dont see canadian variant that often....more than you but by not much:whatev: 

Coz I travel far and wide in Ontario and Quebec hoarding mwaaahhahahahaaaaaaa.I find the DC more common in my findings.

And since you are from usa ,you dont see the horror......most of the ca variant goes to drugstore and tabagie,and those kind of store always put price tag stickers,worst of all,they still do it 30 years later,one of my friends love megaman and sonic and simpsons comics.he collects them vividly,but the third of his collection have pricetags on them(funny thing)he ask for them in advance so he says to the clerk,dont put tags on my comics,just let them aside,the clerk says:but...but its my job to stamp them lol .so the variant you see are often la crème de la crème.....ho the horror we see from newstand.....the horror.so this friend dont have a car and way back when did not go to comiccon.so he lend me a pile of comics to get signed by his favorite artist,back the didnt know his collection,i take the pile ....when it was time to signed them.....the shame to présent all those books with stickers on them to the artist ....ho never again do i want to experience that lol 

3 hours ago, CanadianGothic said:

Yes, a lot of books have increased significantly in these stimulus/covid times.

I don't like that it's happening.At all.I loved this sneaky lil niche.LCS have started to pick up on it in the last two years,but mostly on Marvels.

2 minutes ago, Namtak said:

And since you are from usa ,you dont see the horror......most of the ca variant goes to drugstore and tabagie,and those kind of store always put price tag stickers,worst of all,they still do it 30 years later,one of my friends love megaman and sonic and simpsons comics.he collects them vividly,but the third of his collection have pricetags on them(funny thing)he ask for them in advance so he says to the clerk,dont put tags on my comics,just let them aside,the clerk says:but...but its my job to stamp them lol .so the variant you see are often la crème de la crème.....ho the horror we see from newstand.....the horror.so this friend dont have a car and way back when did not go to comiccon.so he lend me a pile of comics to get signed by his favorite artist,back the didnt know his collection,i take the pile ....when it was time to signed them.....the shame to présent all those books with stickers on them to the artist ....ho never again do i want to experience that lol 

I found that really common on my summer trips to small town Quebec-family had cottages.All the older back issues would have prix stickers in variety stores round .20¢ yellow for Bronze Age or IGA grocery stickers on the new,like you said tobacco or drug store ect

(notice Giant Tiger never had comics?)

Here in Ontario it was common to see what looked like old stock with 19¢ sickers or 24¢ at Woolco or choose three for 87¢.

8 minutes ago, Microchip said:

Thats interesting, unless the DC were just the one's still sitting there 40 years later.

Could just be they sold better at Mac's Milk or Beckers or whatever.Nearly all my early collection(off the spinner!) are cpv's.Later,when I started pull lists or visiting the comic shops on the regular,Marvel was what I mostly collected,seeked out-DC would be impulse spinner buys,nice cover,villain I liked was featured ect.

You could be onto something though,left sitting,maybe not because of cherry picked newsies but content.Five-ish years ago I found a near full three year run of Brave and the Bold cpvs-Rose and Thorn and stuff like that,not exactly hot items.

I started keeping an eye open for these a decade or so ago,so I got lucky,and it wasn't spec,just nostalgia really.