• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,873 posts in this topic

Any ideas what's going on here?

I realize I may be the single human on Earth that collects this book :insane:

Just noticed that there are four different versions of this book, with three different price points!

(Second image borrowed from eBay)

IMG_2136.PNG

IMG_2137.PNG

IMG_2139.PNG

IMG_2138.PNG

wow.I was going to say Canadian newstand,direct and American newstand and direct..but the top one is way pricier.Later print?Better paper stock?

Perhaps one was sold exclusively through religious shops ect?

36 minutes ago, wormboy said:

Any ideas what's going on here?

I realize I may be the single human on Earth that collects this book :insane:

Just noticed that there are four different versions of this book, with three different price points!

(Second image borrowed from eBay)

IMG_2136.PNG

IMG_2137.PNG

IMG_2139.PNG

IMG_2138.PNG

This is odd. The two 75c copies appear to be the US versions, one direct (no barcode) and one newsstand (barcode).

The $1.00 cover has the date / details under the top left character box, as do both the 75c copies. This is its back cover. No barcode, indicates a direct edition or other type. If it were a Canadian copy, would it not have a barcode?:5984d8c67ae81__57.thumb.JPG.250a859e340df1ed41a7e971f0b7a573.JPG

The $1.95 copy doesn't have the 1980 blurb top left, but does have a barcode on the reverse. But if it were the Canadian version,  it would have the date blurb, no?:

5984d8beaea51__57(1).thumb.JPG.b57efd372f3f5e8ec586e68b80dc9a56.JPG

Maybe neither the $1.00 or $1.95 versions are Canadians, but later promos / reprints?

Very odd. 

4 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

This is odd. The two 75c copies appear to be the US versions, one direct (no barcode) and one newsstand (barcode).

The $1.00 cover has the date / details under the top left character box, as do both the 75c copies. This is its back cover. No barcode, indicates a direct edition or other type. If it were a Canadian copy, would it not have a barcode?:

The $1.95 copy doesn't have the 1980 blurb top left, but does have a barcode on the reverse. But if it were the Canadian version,  it would have the date blurb, no?

Correct.

Good catch - I didn't notice that! Yes I believe all Canadian versions have a bar code.

Correct. I'm not sure if Canadians all have the blurb. Here is the back of my graded $1.95 copy. 

IMG_1325.jpg

50 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

wow.I was going to say Canadian newstand,direct and American newstand and direct..but the top one is way pricier.Later print?Better paper stock?

Perhaps one was sold exclusively through religious shops ect?

I like your idea about religious shops. I think that may be it.

Here are the indicas (SP?) for the 75 cent direct and the $1.00 cover (the only two I have raw and can photograph - don't really want to crack the $1.95 copy, and don't have the other 75 cent copy).

You can see they deleted the date on the $1.00 copy, which likely means it's a later copy. They did update the price.

IMG_1324.jpg

Edited by wormboy
SP

Silly question...apologies if it's already been answered...is there a way to tell Canadian price variants without having to look them up? Pence variants are obvious, of course, but how do you know if you're looking at a Canadian one without looking it up?

2 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

Silly question...apologies if it's already been answered...is there a way to tell Canadian price variants without having to look them up? Pence variants are obvious, of course, but how do you know if you're looking at a Canadian one without looking it up?

Hello @JTLarsen

For Marvels, all Canadian Price Variants are newsstand copies so will have barcodes on the covers. The price is always higher than the US versions. So if you know your books and dates, you'll know for example that an ASM #238 is 60c in the US. So as soon as you see 75c, you know it's a Canadian. Examples below - US Direct Edition (60c) vs US Newsstand (60c) vs Canadian (75c):

238.thumb.jpg.f9a398a8340a154e54df73b5e1383ef8.jpg 238ne.thumb.jpg.3655c94eb1281e5636a9df89f3310b1a.jpg 238can.thumb.jpg.6654623b6b853be9df58659069b245e7.jpg

Here are the Marvel issue range dates for Spidey (I think the are the same for all Marvel titles):

can.PNG.a31bb7115cd12ccbd0f9e1cae6f25b3c.PNG

So in summary, there isn't a tell tale 'this is a Canadian copy' marker on the cover for Marvels, you have to know your dates and prices to be able to spot them. When hunting on eBay, type in a particular issue number and scroll down and a Canadian price will jump out at you if it's there. 

Not sure about DC though, I never looked into them.

Hope this helps (thumbsu