Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
12 12

2,203 posts in this topic

279 posts
10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

A Canadian price Mark jeweler 

Weird.  Also what is up with the Cap head in place of the code??

Edited by sk.rank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,034 posts
6 hours ago, sk.rank said:

Weird.  Also what is up with the Cap head in place of the code??

The only thing I can think is that is the difference between newsstand and direct editions...

Comparing these 2 copies on ebay...

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdaredevil+231.TRS0&_nkw=daredevil+231+canadian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,034 posts
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
6 hours ago, sk.rank said:

Weird.  Also what is up with the Cap head in place of the code??

The only thing I can think is that is the difference between newsstand and direct editions...

Comparing these 2 copies on ebay...

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdaredevil+231.TRS0&_nkw=daredevil+231+canadian

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-231-FRANK-MILLER-NEWSSTAND-BORN-AGAIN-MARVEL-COMICS/153378574253?hash=item23b6134fad:g:WJkAAOSwpZpcZckJ

Ya it's because it is the newsstand, here is another link to yet another newsstand that isn't Canadian price, yet has the captain america....

All the direct editions have the "code"

@Get Marwood & I am I right? Or are you keeping notes? :shy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279 posts
44 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-231-FRANK-MILLER-NEWSSTAND-BORN-AGAIN-MARVEL-COMICS/153378574253?hash=item23b6134fad:g:WJkAAOSwpZpcZckJ

Ya it's because it is the newsstand, here is another link to yet another newsstand that isn't Canadian price, yet has the captain america....

All the direct editions have the "code"

@Get Marwood & I am I right? Or are you keeping notes? :shy:

 

Using Daredevil as example, direct copies stop carrying the code with issue 199, Oct/83, but the newsstand copies continue having the code... except 231.  

hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,813 posts
On 2/15/2019 at 6:31 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-231-FRANK-MILLER-NEWSSTAND-BORN-AGAIN-MARVEL-COMICS/153378574253?hash=item23b6134fad:g:WJkAAOSwpZpcZckJ

Ya it's because it is the newsstand, here is another link to yet another newsstand that isn't Canadian price, yet has the captain america....

All the direct editions have the "code"

@Get Marwood & I am I right? Or are you keeping notes? :shy:

 

Apparently, someone lost the comics code seal that week, and had to substitute.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I don't know, but the Cap head appears on several books from that month. If someone wanted to do a Copyright office search, I bet they'd find these were all published the same week.

Marvel stopped printing the CCA seal on the covers of Direct editions for several years, starting with the Marvel "M" in Oct, 1983 cover dates, when they did away with the "Marvel Comics Group" banner at the top of their books. Figured that comics stores didn't need them. That doesn't mean they weren't CCA approved, though, and those were printed in the price/issue box for the next several years. 

When they got rid of the "M" format, and went to the box format for all issues, starting with Apr, 1987 cover dates, the code appeared once more on Direct issues, before disappearing for good around 2001. RIP CCA.

 

 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112 posts

Any chance one of you guys bought this and are willing to share the offer that was accepted? 

Screenshot_20190310-182624_eBay.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
93 posts
Posted (edited)

Wow that AF set is sexy AF. Nice job man. That number 3 is one of my favorite Byrne covers of all time.

Edited by The Heckler
More awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
863 posts
Posted (edited)

Some nice finds this weekend at Calgary Expo. Most are upgrades except for Thor, Conan and Elvira. (Never had the Elvira or Conan booksimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

C3B80613-7CA7-4655-96C5-C9376C30D3FC.jpeg

ADD6D20C-1A5A-408E-8940-CB69C75ADE3B.jpeg

DB9CD8EA-6B08-4839-BFB1-67010270B8D4.jpeg

E2C23E8F-CD7C-497C-B049-66F7EC73C5BB.jpeg

9EB75599-0290-4454-9A85-EADE51261937.jpeg

09280280-42F6-468E-BA5F-371EB60A5E31.jpeg

 

83033E14-23C9-48D7-9AAF-61A3801FFEFE.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,205 posts
Posted (edited)

What's the most expensive cover price on a Canadian edition?  The baxter paper special editions are up there at $2.25, but this is the highest one I own.  Anything higher?

 

yfe3iv8.jpg?1

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
863 posts
11 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What's the most expensive cover price on a Canadian edition?  The baxter paper special editions are up there at $2.25, but this is the highest one I own.  Anything higher?

 

yfe3iv8.jpg?1

Pretty Sure the Last Days of the JSA had a 3.50 cover

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 posts
1 hour ago, bellrules said:

Pretty Sure the Last Days of the JSA had a 3.50 cover

 

Correct, can post mine later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 posts

Hello everyone! I've been beating my head against the wall trying to find some pretty scarce Canadian Price editions of a few Doom Patrol (1987) books, specifically 10, 12 and Annual 1. Anybody have a lead, or want to work out a deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
12 12