• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Professor's Hiatus from CGC Comic Collecting: An Insider's Perspective Into the Life & Times of a CGC Comic Collecting Addict!

36 posts in this topic

After investing countless hours, finances and quality time buying and selling CGC comics to build a World Class CGC Collection...how difficult would it be for you to just let go of your entire collection?

This is the question I have been wrestling with for the past 3 months...

However, after tossing back and forth many nights (due to increased anxiety) while trying to get some rest, and after reevaluating what is most important in my life, I made the extremely difficult decision to auction off my entire collection in order to repair my relationship with my wife and to begin digging myself out of credit card debt!

I have been intentionally avoiding having to write this journal, as it is still quite difficult to witness my prized books being auctioned off, knowing how hard I worked to assemble my present day collection. However, at the end of the day, I do feel at peace with my decision because I know I did what was right for my family and I. So here is "my" personal story of my CGC Collecting Career...

As I reflect back on how I began collecting CGC Graded Comics, I realized that I ventured into the hobby with the wrong mindset.

It was in late November of 2011, when I moved to Highlands Ranch, Colorado; a suburb outlining the city of Denver. This was a MAJOR transition for me, as I previously lived in the Bronx, NY for 7 years and primarily lived the majority of my life in other North East boroughs and cities such as Manhattan, Northern New Jersey and Rochester, NY. I was there because my wife's company offered her a temporary leadership position that would significantly boost both her pay and her resume credentials.

Prior to relocating to Highlands Ranch, I never thought that I would experience "culture shock," let alone the effects it would later have on me. Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened...although I didn't realize it during the time.

I was fortunate to have funds in my bank account due to receiving my summer pay checks, as many of you know that I am a real-life teacher/professor. Therefore, I didn't feel pressed to immediately search for a position in higher education or within one of the local school districts. As long as I was able to pay all of my bills without placing that burden onto my wife, I felt like I was okay.

So I waited...and took my time...all the while looking around my environment and feeling totally out-of-place-like a misfit! As I drove through my neighborhood, I witnessed the cookie cutter constructed houses and the "Edward Scissorhand" perfectly manicured lawns...this was getting really weird for me! Then, no diversity...and just surrounded by a horde of suburban Caucasian folk in which I felt I could not relate to, especially the ones who were trying to emulate people living in city environments and fabricating a fake "hard-core" lifestyle!

After all, I was born and raised in the inner city of Rochester, NY and went to an all-black middle school, and actually lived through major opposition and trials in which I could have died on several occasions. Further, I later experienced a ton of diversity after moving to NYC back in 2001. Therefore, I was now used to street lights, subway trains and people walking around and talking at all hours of the night...this was "my" norm. I was also used to simply walking outside of my building to eat at various restaurants from all types of cultures, and could pretty much buy groceries and get anything I needed within a ten block radius!

"Who is that...? Is that a...black woman...?" This was the look and strange facial impressions that one of our neighbors had on her face when she saw my wife pull up in our driveway in her shiny Jaguar! She actually walked out of her house and into the middle of the street in order to peer over into our driveway to get a better look at my wife, as if this was the first time seeing a black woman in the neighborhood-let alone driving a Jag! Now this was getting really uncomfortable! We were now surrounded by a bunch of nosy neighbors and felt like we had little privacy, which also includes having really needy and annoying landlords who would always call and stop by the house we were renting! Not good!

As time passed by, I slipped into a depression without realizing it. After visiting my brother for Thanksgiving in Rochester, NY in November of 2011 and pulling out all of my old Wolverine, X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man comics from the attic, I fell in love with my books like when I was 12 years old and felt an instant desire to collect again, after not purchasing a single comic since the age of sixteen (1994 to be exact)!

When I arrived back to Highlands Ranch, CO, I looked up Mile High Comics online, and literally purchased an entire run of Wolverine (1988)! Then, I researched the CGC, and sent about 30 books to be graded in December of 2011, without having any knowledge of grading criteria and standards. I received my first batch of graded comics in March of 2012; the grades weren't so hot, but I did land 9.8 copies of Wolverine #41 Second Printing and Wolverine #155 (Deadpool Cover).

Anyhow, in the interim while waiting for that initial submission to arrive, I kept myself glued to the computer screen and learned all about CGC grading criteria, the CGC census, and took note of all the major KEY Silver, Bronze and Copper Age books. I researched pricing trends and compared past sales with the current market value, and began winning books off of eBay. As a direct result, I became a CGC Registry member in January of 2012 and began assembling a Wolverine (1988) Set, "Against All Odds," which would eventually become the #5 CGC Ranked Set in the world, the first to showcase 15+ consecutive issues in CGC SS 9.8 or higher, and the first to receive the Best Presented Set (2012) for that Set Type!

It was on now! I studied the CGC comic book market like the stock exchange and began flipping books on eBay and using the profits to reinvest into more books to complete my sets! Unfortunately, I started to view my CGC Collecting "hobby" as a full-time "job!" I was so into my collecting, that I started to loose my connection with my wife, as she worked all-day while I was networking with CGC dealers all across the country and building up my sets. Our communication gradually became impersonal and limited, as all I had on my mind was my next deal and acquisition, which of course I couldn't share with her because it was selfish, and I didn't want to hear "the truth" from her that I needed to spend my energy in finding a real job!

What was really messed up, is that I became so intent in wanting to take over a #1 spot in a set type, that I literally spent thousands of more dollars on my credit cards, while still unemployed and already in credit card debt, without telling my wife a thing! It was my little secret, after all, it was my money...wasn't it?

So "The Inaugural Slashing" was birthed, and became the #1 CGC Ranked Wolverine Limited Series (1982) Set in the world for both 2012 and 2013! I was so ecstatic to have taken out World's Best Comics, who previously held that title for "5" consecutive years! I now had "2" world class Wolverine sets and continuing to acquire more precious gems, like my Incredible Hulk #182 CGC 9.8 WP, that I only paid $100 in exchange for two copies of ASM #129; one in CGC 6.0 and the other in CGC 8.5-a very nice flip! I was getting really good at this!

I began moving from collecting primarily Copper Age books into KEY Bronze Age books. I later flipped another $1500 in CGC books on eBay, and along with a $3000 payment that I used from withdrawing one of my pension accounts, I purchased the world's finest copy of Incredible Hulk #180! My initial goal was to assemble the greatest Wolverine collection in history, so I figured that I would need to acquire the finest copies of Wolverine's initial 3 appearances! At that time, I now had both IH #180 and #182 in CGC 9.8 WP!

Once February of 2013 rolled in, I won an aggressive bidding war on my Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.8 WP on eBay! How did I pay for it? Well...tax season was in full effect, and I used a large portion of my return to make the purchase! In addition, I also purchased an awesome-looking copy of Daredevil #111 CGC 9.6 WP that I thought had great potential, so I resubmitted it to the CGC and landed the world's "6th" CGC 9.8 copy! Yes, I used my tax return to purchase that bad boy as well!

I have now made about 100 CGC sales to other collectors and buyers on and off eBay, and have racked in close to 10K from selling books, but ALL of it went back into buying books for my collection!

Moreover, I forgot to mention that in May and June of 2012, if it wasn't for my prowess in selling a variety of CGC books on eBay, I wouldn't have been able to pay my monthly bills! My wife actually had to help me out with paying a few of them, which inevitably motivated me to seek and acquire a job, which I did in July of 2012. I began teaching as a post-secondary instructor at Pima Medical Institute in Denver, Colorado.

Unfortunately, the urge, or should I dare say "addiction," still compelled me...and I used whatever residual income from my paychecks to purchase MORE CGC books! I even maxed out ALL of my credit cards and continued to pay my monthly bill, to only use that minimum credit to continue feeding my CGC Collecting Frenzy! I was way out of control, but yet would "justify" my behavior because I flipped so many books that my overall collection was worth more than the $$ I initially invested! Although this was true and still is to this day, it doesn't make it "right!"

I was literally dreaming of CGC books and the moves I needed to make to acquire certain books! I knew I wanted the MAJOR BOOKS, but yet also knew that if I didn't take a break from collecting soon, that my wife and I could possibly get a divorce! I was getting nervous, and I knew I had to make some quick decisions! "So what should I do? Should I just stay content with my world class Wolverine sets and try to leave collecting alone until I pay off some debt? Or should I sacrifice these sets in order to acquire the top Bronze Age Marvel Grails in CGC 9.8?"

I was debating with my thoughts for a while, but eventually arrived to the conclusion that due to my current amount of credit card debt and the fact that 9.8 copies of IH #181 and X-Men #94 were so high presently, there would be no way I would be able to acquire these Bronze Age Grails in the near future, as I know my wife and I would eventually have kids and major CGC purchases would be out of the equation! So what would I rather have...the top Wolverine Volume 1 and 2 sets...or a top CGC Set of Wolverine's first three appearances in history...along with several other major Bronze Age Grails in CGC 9.8? I chose the latter! I was now on another major mission!!

Now we enter organizing, promoting, and producing my first high profile auction, which materialized into my historic Grand Wolverine Auction in June of 2013 on Pedigree Comics! I worked countless hours on writing up descriptions and advertising and promoting my Wolverine collection throughout the CGC Registry and eBay communities! I even wrote all of the promotional articles that were featured in the official CGC Newsletter "word-for-word," which hardly ever happens without the article being edited, according to Doug Schmell of Pedigree Comics! My Wolverine books/articles were also featured in Scoop Magazine and GPA - the word was definitely out and about!

I ended up grossing roughly 30K from that auction!! I broke several world records, including the sale on my Wolverine #1 CGC SS 9.9 (Stan Lee), which I sold for $10,002, which I only paid $2K 1.5 years prior to the sale! That's slightly over a 500% Return on Investment! I was ecstatic!! All the energy and hard-work truly paid off in a major way!

However, where did all that money go...? Right back into purchasing some very expensive, high profile Bronze Age Grails! This is when I purchased my X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/WP [Mile High II] for 10K and my Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 WP [Mile High II] for 15K! That's 25K and ALL of my funds that I "netted" from my auction, after paying 10% to Doug Schmell for his services! I did not take home a single dollar; I was still broke...but I had now assembled a ferocious Marvel Bronze Age Holy Grail collection that couldn't be ignored!

At this point I felt satisfied! I truly felt like I could take a break from the collecting grind and finally start to focus on paying down my credit cards. However, what I didn't share with you yet, is that I also had a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.8 WP, that I was also going to buy from Doug Schmell, as he had it on hold just for me with no set time to pay it off! I was going all-out in trying to acquire every major Marvel Bronze Age Grail in CGC 9.8 for the Professor Pecora Collection! At this time, I also made deals and acquired most of the early new X-Men issues in CGC 9.8, to compliment my X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 [Mile High II]. I even wanted to acquire the entire X-Men #94-#143 Set in CGC 9.8 or better! Consequently, from acquiring these CGC 9.8 early new X-Men issues, my credit cards remained maxed-out!

To make matters worse, I conducted my entire Grand Wolverine Auction without my wife knowing a thing, and making excuses to stay late at work, when I was really working my "second job" in marketing my books online! Further, she would have literally FLIPPED if she found out that I had another 6K book (ASM #129 CGC 9.8 WP) to pay off AFTER spending all of my proceeds on CGC books! So again, I was living a secretive lifestyle and ultimately living a "separate" life!

Unfortunately, what I could try to hide and cover from my wife, couldn't be hidden from God...for "all things hidden in the dark shall be brought to light!" So literally two weeks after the auction ended, and with me thinking I had at least another year to begin paying off my credit card debt AND paying off my ASM #129 CGC 9.8 WP, my wife drops an unexpected bomb on me and says that she accepted the same leadership role within her company, but the position is back in Atlanta, where she originally lived and worked (before we got married) for over 10 years! On top of that, we had to break a 3-year lease in less than 2 years time, and try to stage the house because the owners decided that they wanted to sell the house, with the pressure of having to completely relocate across the country AGAIN...in 1 month from the time my wife dropped the news on me!!

WOW! I was screwed! My CGC plans have now fallen through the roof, and I was now faced with being unemployed AGAIN while trying to get readjusted to another city! This was starting to get really out of hand, and the pressure I was feeling was unexplainable! I felt like I was on another planet and couldn't speak my mind to my wife, in "fear" of losing her!

Now we are moved into our beautiful loft in midtown Atlanta, where we have a spectacular city view and lots of things to do! The vibe is upbeat and it reminds me more of my years living in New York City! However, the truth had to come out sooner or later, and after several heated arguments with my wife regarding my decision to hold onto my books, when I really needed to sell them in order to pay my bills, my wife really started to resent me because I could not see with my own eyes that I was placing my CGC collection before "us." I was unemployed and needed quality time to search for a decent-paying position in education, but I was so attached to my collection after everything I went through to build it up...I wasn't trying to let it go!

I made excuses and tried to rationalize my thoughts; I even desired to primarily communicate with other CGC collectors besides my family members, because I knew "they" would try to talk me out of selling my collection! I thought about this concept too; and that type of behavior is no different than two crack fiends wanting to stick together, because they will justify their lustful addiction to the drug that keeps them high and unified in their own world, and will help each other by any means to acquire more of it!

Moving forward, the truth finally came out of my mouth about everything! During another argument, I couldn't take it! I spilled my guts out and shared everything with my wife from all the books I flipped and acquired, to the Grand Wolverine Auction I helped put together in June of 2013, to using all of my proceeds to reinvest in other CGC books...to still owing 7K to Doug Schmell for CGC 9.8 WP copies of ASM #129 and #300! This was NOT EASY for her to swallow and I felt her disappointment and pain that I brought onto her spirit!

The more troubling part is that I was very sincere in telling her that I would sell off the majority of my collection as she is my top priority, but a week later I reneged on that statement because I was wrestling with wanting to keep more than one book, which led me to want to keep another...then another...to the point that I didn't want to sell none of them again!! This hurt her even more! I was wrong...selfish...and I had to make something happen if I wanted to have any chance in mending my relationship with my wife, and even having any hope towards building a future together! How could I do this? Was I that cold? Why...?

Anyway, with the aid of a wonderful bishop that was obedient to call me out of the congregation one Sunday afternoon, along with two other individuals that he said he saw specifically in his dream, I went to the alter and received prayer with his hand anointed in oil. He said that God has instructed him to pray for me (and the two others) for 3 consecutive weeks. He said that God shared with him that our lives have been turned upside down and that God is going to turn us back upright-into our God-given purpose!

Sure enough, during the first week, God gave me the supernatural strength to make that decision to auction off my entire CGC collection! I heard Him speak to me that if I make this "sacrifice" for the sake of Him and my family, that He will bless me more than I could ever imagine and usher me into my God-ordained purpose in the earth! So after going back and forth in acquiring various cash advances from the primary auction houses such as Comic Link, Comic Connect and Pedigree, Doug Schmell made me the best offer and even removed the ASM #129 and #300 CGC 9.8 books from my invoice, and was really understanding of my situation. Since I already conducted business with him previously, and had a successful Grand Wolverine Auction back in June of 2013, I decided to consign with Pedigree once again. It just made sense!

So I received a 21K advance on my entire collection! That was by far the largest check I have ever received in my entire life! I scanned that blazer for a keepsake! I used the advance to immediately pay down all of my credit cards; two cards in which I already owed 2 months worth of payments. Then, I tithed 10% of that money unto the Lord, and gave a $900 offering, to make a $3000 appreciation unto the Lord, for blessing me even during the times in which I was operating backwards!

Now, I am working towards becoming a better man and placing my family 1st! I grew up in a very dysfunctional family and had very little emotional support growing up as the eldest child of four in the City of Rochester, NY. My mother was an alcoholic and never passed the 7th grade, who eventually became addicted to crack cocaine. She is doing better now, but back in the day it was extremely difficult, especially when my father could hardly speak English from being a first generation Italian immigrant, in which he also did not get along with me at all. After witnessing a multitude of events that the normal teenager should not have experienced, my parents got a divorce when I was 16.

Therefore, my sense of family and belonging have always been tarnished. I always yearned to find belonging and acceptance in all things, hence why I would try to become #1 at whatever I did...being overly competitive to make myself feel important, from the lack of love I internally longed for. Not to say that being competitive is a bad thing, it's only when our morals are compromised in attaining top status towards a particular goal or position, that makes it disproportionate in one's life.

Like anything in life, all things are permissible, as long as they are kept in balance! For example, working out in the gym on a regular basis is a great thing! You will most-likely stay fit and in good health. However, if you become "obsessed" and feel a need to stay 3...4...or 5 hours or more so you can become bigger and bigger...you might want to question yourself..."what is truly driving that behavior in you?"

Likewise, CGC Collecting can be a wonderful hobby and bring about many positive experiences! You can meet new friends and have fun attending the various comic cons! You can collect with a friend or family member and assemble some really awesome sets in the Registry! You can buy certain books and watch them appreciate in value with time! You can share stories of the historical records of key characters and events in comic history! This hobby is great!

On the other hand, if you keep yourself in a financially binding state in order to acquire books and attend cons, without having a savings account for a rainy day, or if you place your collecting habits before your family and cannot separate your collecting habit from your daily thoughts and routines...then it's time to reevaluate your motivational forces as well! Are you blind to career advancement because you are so hooked on comic collecting? Is there something else you are to do in this lifetime that you have been neglecting or putting on hold, because of your "addiction?" If so...take some time to reflect and check your self!

It can get really deep for some! I just pray that for those who have suffered from collecting or any kind of addiction, that you will do yourself a favor and just meditate on your past behaviors and evaluate where you are currently at in your life. What's your purpose?

Part of my purpose is to reach those who suffer through writing, speaking and performing lyrical poetry in the medium of Gospel Hip-Hop and in the realm of education. I have been writing and performing since the age of 13, and have written roughly 85 songs! However, I have not recorded a single song professionally; that is...until recently! I am not making any more excuses and I am finally going out for mine!

I believe I will come back to CGC Collecting in the near future, but when I do, I will truly use "disposable" income...now that I genuinely understand this term! :-) I think I will also eventually get my wife involved in the process from the very beginning. Our favorite cable network show has been the Walking Dead; we have watched every episode together since its inception! Therefore, I was even considering acquiring the KEY 1st appearance issues in the run with her, as it would have meaning and significance not just for me, but for "us!" This would make collecting fun, as it would be a "family" thing!

Now with my story completely unfolded in the comic collecting world, and with the true life and times of CGC Collector Professor Pecora out in the open...I am asking for anyone who is reading this journal to spread the word about my world class CGC 9.8 Bronze and Copper Age books currently being auctioned on Pedigree Comics! I could use all the support in accumulating as much bids as possible, as the funds will be used for an honest...good cause towards rebuilding up my family!

Please check out all of my listings by copying and pasting the following link into your web browser:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7148882#Post7148882

Thank You for taking the time to read my story! I appreciate all of the wonderful people I have met in the CGC Registry & Chat Boards, and I hope to maintain positive ties with all of you!

Peace & God Bless!!

-Professor Pecora

PS: Attached is a picture of "The Inaugural Slashing," my very first CGC Set that I completed 100% and achieved The Best In Set Type for 2 consecutive years! :-)

14612.jpg

See more journals by Professor Pecora

What a great post, Professor!

I sincerely appreciate you baring your soul to admit to some things most of us wouldn't have the courage to.

Collecting comics can be dangerous, and first things should remain first things!

A big (thumbs u for sharing. It is very easy to just get lost in this hobby and put everything/everyone else on the back burner. Glad I was able to contribute to your Wolverine auction. Unfortunately, I won't be able to jump on your current one. Hope everything works out for you.

You chose wisely.

Wasn't that the line from the third Indiana Jones film. I remember an addiction the same as yours, awkwardly enough it wasn't comic books at all. It was anything Star Wars related, action figured, books, lithographs, cookie jars, soda cans, board games, Legos, and even pizza boxes. The night the local toy store had their midnight sale for the Phantom Menace, I overheard the manager say that I was the most he saw someone spend that evening. There might have been someone after me who spent more, but I don't think so. I should have taken his statement as a warning rather than a compliment.

I know I get in deep with CGC, most recently with Baltimore and NYCC so close together. However, I have learned through my Star Wars experience, my bills have to come first. I know my expendable income is becoming shallow which is why I decided to attempt to flip. How cool would it be to do what you described although for other reasons. I want to be able to make a profit especially since I am single.

I wish you luck but with God watching over, you don't need it. I will do what I can to get the eyed out about your collection. I wish you luck and hope when the time is right you return to the fold, but until then please keep the journals coming.

I will keep you in my prayers. For God to be moving in your life this way means you are truly doing what you should be.

God and family should always come first! I have always lived my life this way. While I DO love CGC collecting, I always use disposable income and always keep up with my tithes and offerings to God, as well as including myself in His work both at church and other events.

In return God has blessed me with the means to keep collecting in my chosen hobby.

My situation is a little different from yours in that I do not have a wife or kids. And I never will due to my loner, solitary personal nature. It takes everything I can do just to serve God in some capacity.

Work, church and the CGC registry are really the only social things I do in life. Otherwise, I'm at home working in whatever project I have going on at the time.

May God continually bless you in your newly inspired endeavor to sell off your collection. I hope you get maximum dollars for everything and get back into a comfortable financial and family position!

Thank you for telling your your story to all of us. It is extremely well written and eloquent. For your life experience is a good reminder to all of us "collectors" about the fine line we walk between the darkness and the light. About stepping into the darkness if only to think that we are still basking in the bright light of our euphoria. I know there are times that I myself have wondered if I have wandered into the darkness. My line that I use on myself to justify my passion, I will call it, is that once I have it, I don't have to buy it ever again. I stop and a reassess my goals and reign myself in. Believe me there have been many times I have passed on a book that is on eBay, hopping it will be there next month.

But in the end all, in the back of our mind we should all know where our priorities are. And as the Tnreb said so correctly. You chose wisely.

Reading your journal was quite an experience, it takes a lot to open up in the manner you did. I believe in life that we are the sum of our experiences, from the people we know to the books/articles/journals we read. All of this prepares us for the the decisions we make, how we respond to what life presents to us. Reading your journal has added to my collective experience, and I thank you for that.

Brandon

I can honestly say I had to read your Journal a few times. So much so that I didn't want to miss anything and very few have ever made me truly reflect on my own experiences. I have looked back at this previous year and had to truly think to myself, was it really worth it. Did I pay things off or did I simply create more bills? For me I really had to think about everything and it did take me back a little.

Anyways, thank you for sharing and hopefully all goes well and or even better with this sale then the last.

Dear Professor,

That journal is deeply profound and moving!

Like everyone else here... Wow!

You have great courage and strong spirit, and I do believe the Universe, Womb of Creation, God will guide in life, always.

I'm rooting for you... actually, we all are!

Keep the faith!

SW3D

Thank you for a very interesting journal contribution that may be relevant to a majority of CGC book collectors. Yes, I hide things for my wife too ;-)

Recently I tried to make a description of several problems that may be associated to collecting CGC books:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7067422#Post7067422

I tried to make some of the negative aspects appear amusing, but in reality they are not - as you so perfectly describe.

I did notice one aspect of your collecting behavior, namely that you within just two years managed to collect very impressive sets. Two years are an extremely short time in my perspective, and since many of us have limited funds, stretching expensive comic book acquisitions over time (adapted to individual needs) may be an important rule. I know the feeling and urge of wanting to complete a run as fast as possible, but in order to make CGC book collecting a positive opportunity instead of a burden, I guess it is important to become the tortoise and not the hare according to Aesop's Fables:

hare_turtle.jpg

At least this is how I try to complete a focused ASM run, it does not need to be finished in a year or two, it may take me 10 or 20 years, who knows. And maybe in the end, this tortoise may actually beat current hares... So total abstinence may not necessarily be a solution and may be too hard for many collectors, while responsible and slow collecting may provide an alternative solution.

Sincerely,

Rune

I sincerely appreciate you baring your soul to admit to some things most of us wouldn't have the courage to.

Collecting comics can be dangerous, and first things should remain first things!

I couldn't have said it any better...

A very good look into the pitfalls of collecting and I will be re-reading this again. I do feel that this post could benefit many including myself.

Thank you! :)

Thank you for a very interesting journal contribution that may be relevant to a majority of CGC book collectors. Yes, I hide things for my wife too ;-)

Recently I tried to make a description of several problems that may be associated to collecting CGC books:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7067422#Post7067422

I tried to make some of negative aspect appear amusing, but in reality they are not - as you so perfectly describe.

I did notice one aspect of your collecting behavior, namely that you within just two years managed to collect very impressive sets. Two years is an extremely short time in my perspective, and since many of us have limited funds, stretching expensive comic book acquisitions over time (adapted to individual needs) may be an important rule. I know the feeling and urge of wanting to complete a run as fast as possible, but in order to make CGC book collecting a positive opportunity instead of a burden, I guess it is important to become the tortoise and not the hare according to Aesop's Fables:

hare_turtle.jpg

At least this is how I try to complete a focused ASM run, it does not need to be ready in a year or two, it may take me 10 or 20 years, who knows. And maybe in the end, this tortoise may actually beat current hares... So total abstinence may not necessarily be a solution and may be too hard for many collectors, while responsible and slow collecting may provide an alternative solution.

Sincerely,

Rune

I think this is a great way to look at things. My wife has told me I need to slow down on the comics stuff a couple times. We all have a pace that we can operate at comfortably. We just need to find it and stay there or below that. For those of us that are married or have someone thats tied to us financially we should keep an open line of communication on what we're doing. I think thats the biggest takeaway we can all get from Professors experience.

Thank You Ogami!

I agree with you 100%!

-Professor Pecora

A big (thumbs u for sharing. It is very easy to just get lost in this hobby and put everything/everyone else on the back burner. Glad I was able to contribute to your Wolverine auction. Unfortunately, I won't be able to jump on your current one. Hope everything works out for you.

I appreciate your support meshuggah!

Keep the positive energy going and I pray for increased financial favor in your life! :)

-Professor Pecora

You chose wisely.

Wasn't that the line from the third Indiana Jones film. I remember an addiction the same as yours, awkwardly enough it wasn't comic books at all. It was anything Star Wars related, action figured, books, lithographs, cookie jars, soda cans, board games, Legos, and even pizza boxes. The night the local toy store had their midnight sale for the Phantom Menace, I overheard the manager say that I was the most he saw someone spend that evening. There might have been someone after me who spent more, but I don't think so. I should have taken his statement as a warning rather than a compliment.

I know I get in deep with CGC, most recently with Baltimore and NYCC so close together. However, I have learned through my Star Wars experience, my bills have to come first. I know my expendable income is becoming shallow which is why I decided to attempt to flip. How cool would it be to do what you described although for other reasons. I want to be able to make a profit especially since I am single.

I wish you luck but with God watching over, you don't need it. I will do what I can to get the eyed out about your collection. I wish you luck and hope when the time is right you return to the fold, but until then please keep the journals coming.

Tnerb,

My brother from Philly! I want to thank you for sharing one of your personal experiences - I appreciate it!

I think you also raised a concern that you might want to investigate further; flipping books for other purposes rather than reinvesting back into comics. Who knows, there might be a blessing behind it all! Maybe you could use those funds to bring your self up in other areas of your life?

I think it's worth exploring further, because on one occasion when I flipped books while unemployed and used the funds to pay my bills and take my wife out to dinner - it felt great! I remember at the time contemplating to myself, "if I could only view flipping books without feeling the "need" or "urge" to collect and hold onto certain ones...I'd be doing pretty good financially!"

However, it's very difficult to separate "the collector's itch" while maintaining a business mindset in dealing with CGC Graded books. It will take an extremely strong (almost divine sent) and disciplined individual to restrain from making impulsive bids/purchases when a prime example of a particular book is advertised, which is needed to complete a personal set/collection!

For instance, I have had several personal conversations with Mr. Doug Schmell of Pedigree Comics, and he admitted to being a CGC Comic Collecting "addict" as well! He shared with me that he had no choice but to sell off his entire collection, because if he decided to keep a few, then he would have wanted to keep a few more...then a few more...until the point in which he probably would have gotten drawn into wanting to keep the majority of his books and fall right back into the collecting stronghold! He then explained that after he sold off his entire collection, it was like a burden was removed and he did not even miss them anymore! Moreover, he said it was the best thing that happened for his marriage with his wife, and since then, he has had a more fulfilling personal life and could focus his energy into his business 100%!

So again, not saying that it can't be done, but I personally believe that you are either a collector or a dealer at the end of the day...that is, if you plan on being really successful at one role or the other! :)

I will continue to keep the journals rolling in on occasions. Actually, I would like to write-up my acquisition journals for my X-Men #102, #98, and #120 CGC 9.8s, so these books will be "archived" as being a part of the Professor Pecora collection within my journal database! :grin: These will be coming in the near future, along with other topics that I feel inspired to write about!

PLEASE spread the word about my CGC 9.8 KEY Copper & Bronze Age books on pedigreecomics.com! If anybody is reading this journal right now, please click on the following link:

The Professor Pecora Collection!

Thanks again Tnerb!

-Professor Pecora