• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Professor's Hiatus from CGC Comic Collecting: An Insider's Perspective Into the Life & Times of a CGC Comic Collecting Addict!

36 posts in this topic

I will keep you in my prayers. For God to be moving in your life this way means you are truly doing what you should be.

God and family should always come first! I have always lived my life this way. While I DO love CGC collecting, I always use disposable income and always keep up with my tithes and offerings to God, as well as including myself in His work both at church and other events.

In return God has blessed me with the means to keep collecting in my chosen hobby.

My situation is a little different from yours in that I do not have a wife or kids. And I never will due to my loner, solitary personal nature. It takes everything I can do just to serve God in some capacity.

Work, church and the CGC registry are really the only social things I do in life. Otherwise, I'm at home working in whatever project I have going on at the time.

May God continually bless you in your newly inspired endeavor to sell off your collection. I hope you get maximum dollars for everything and get back into a comfortable financial and family position!

Dear bagofleas,

Thank you for your response and for sharing a bit of your personal background!

It sounds like you have your priorities in order; God first, family second, and then work/hobbies last! In turn, you have been blessed by God and given the privilege to continue building up your CGC collection! That's awesome!

However, I would not succumb to the mindset that you will "never" get married due to your solitary nature. You do not know what God has in store for you when you genuinely seek Him regarding the desires of your heart-for He already knows what you need before you even ask Him!

However, in the meantime, keep the positive energy flowing and living your life to the best of your ability!

On another note, I have written the perfect song that I think would bless you tremendously! It is entitled, "Solo," and based on what you just shared with me, I really know that you will connect with it! Once I record "Solo" professionally, I will send you a link so you can listen to it!

Thanks for your response my brother!

Be Blessed!

-Professor Pecora

The Professor Pecora Collection!

Wow, thanks for sharing. Your experiences touched many a raw nerve.

Thank You "Bronx!!"

I am guessing that you currently live or are originally from the Boogie Down based on your profile name! Is that so? If so...go BX!!

I used to live on Taylor Ave off of Van Ness Ave for 4 years and then I lived on Olmstead Avenue off of Westchester Ave. for another 3 years!

Wishing you well!

-Professor Pecora

Thank you for telling your your story to all of us. It is extremely well written and eloquent. For your life experience is a good reminder to all of us "collectors" about the fine line we walk between the darkness and the light. About stepping into the darkness if only to think that we are still basking in the bright light of our euphoria. I know there are times that I myself have wondered if I have wandered into the darkness. My line that I use on myself to justify my passion, I will call it, is that once I have it, I don't have to buy it ever again. I stop and a reassess my goals and reign myself in. Believe me there have been many times I have passed on a book that is on eBay, hopping it will be there next month.

But in the end all, in the back of our mind we should all know where our priorities are. And as the Tnreb said so correctly. You chose wisely.

Dear alphaprimeian01,

Thank you for your response!

It was my pleasure to share my personal story with the CGC Collecting Community!

You raised a very interesting point in terms of how you justify in your mind the need to purchase CGC books for your sets...that "once you have it, you don't have to buy it ever again!" You know why this statement is so strong? It's because "I" used to tell myself the same thing in one of my reasons to justify my personal "need" to throw money on books I couldn't really afford at the time!

I used to rationalize in my mind that "I might be a little broke for a couple of years, but once I acquire all of the most expensive books for my collection, I won't feel a need to spend that much money!" However, we all know that's not true for the CGC Comic Collecting Addict! Then, something else will come up, and that same impulsive behavior will continue to have us broke! SO BE CAREFUL my brother! ;)

I think having a community (like this one) in which collectors can share both their personal struggles and their accomplishments, is "key" in helping us to maintain "balance" in our personal lives and to remind us that our priorities should always come first!

Thanks again for sharing!

-Professor Pecora

Reading your journal was quite an experience, it takes a lot to open up in the manner you did. I believe in life that we are the sum of our experiences, from the people we know to the books/articles/journals we read. All of this prepares us for the the decisions we make, how we respond to what life presents to us. Reading your journal has added to my collective experience, and I thank you for that.

Brandon

Dear Brandon,

Thank you my brother! I concur with you 100% that we "are" the sum of our life's experiences!

However, to add to the point you raised, I do not want to say that our experiences "define" who we are, because if we were to live life with this mentality, then we would live in a miserable state-of-mind, for we have ALL sinned and have said or done some hurtful things to ourselves and others previously!

In contrast, it is "how we react in these given situations," that defines "who we really are!" For instance, I could have made a different decision in my situation, such as holding onto my entire collection...which would most-likely have resulted in me getting a divorce; moving into an apartment by myself...and NOT moving forward into my God-given purpose!

Another example, is the man in the movie 127 hours; he could have allowed himself to die while being lodged between those two boulders, but he "chose" to sacrifice his own arm by cutting it off, because he "knew" that he'd rather loose just a small part of his body and save the rest of it, instead of living in "fear" of his present situation as loose his entire chance at life!!

Likewise, I "chose" to cut loose of my entire collection, to have another chance towards experiencing a fulfilling marriage and a shot towards doing what God called me to do!

You are a very wise and intuitive man Brandon! I like your style and I also think you're a pretty good writer!

Thank You for your support! I appreciate you!

-Professor Pecora

I can honestly say I had to read your Journal a few times. So much so that I didn't want to miss anything and very few have ever made me truly reflect on my own experiences. I have looked back at this previous year and had to truly think to myself, was it really worth it. Did I pay things off or did I simply create more bills? For me I really had to think about everything and it did take me back a little.

Anyways, thank you for sharing and hopefully all goes well and or even better with this sale then the last.

Dear Kaholo,

It is a blessing to know that my story has had a lasting impression with you! :)

Every so often, taking the time to reflect back on your actions in a place of solitude, will always provide you clarity of the driving forces that led you to make certain decisions in life.

Thank you for your support brother!

I am also praying/hoping that I do really well in this auction 6 days from today!

Peace & God Bless,

-Professor Pecora

Dear Professor,

That journal is deeply profound and moving!

Like everyone else here... Wow!

You have great courage and strong spirit, and I do believe the Universe, Womb of Creation, God will guide in life, always.

I'm rooting for you... actually, we all are!

Keep the faith!

SW3D

Dear SW3D,

I sincerely appreciate all of your positive energy and words of encouragement!

I also responded to your message on my CGC Collection Auction promo ;)

I will do my best to keep the faith!

You're the best!

-Professor Pecora

Thank you for the journal! I very much appreciate you sharing your story with us!

Dear Sensei Ryan,

It was my pleasure brother! I am glad that it blessed you!

On another note, do you teach Martial Arts as a profession...hence your "Sensei" title in your profile name?

Just curious, because I have been into Martial Arts since I was 12 years old. I started taking Tae-Kwon-Do and actually was a 1993 state (NY) champion and a Junior Olympic Tae-Kwon-Do champion (held that year in Dayton, Ohio!)

Peace & God Bless!

-Professor Pecora

Thank you for a very interesting journal contribution that may be relevant to a majority of CGC book collectors. Yes, I hide things for my wife too ;-)

Recently I tried to make a description of several problems that may be associated to collecting CGC books:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7067422#Post7067422

I tried to make some of the negative aspects appear amusing, but in reality they are not - as you so perfectly describe.

I did notice one aspect of your collecting behavior, namely that you within just two years managed to collect very impressive sets. Two years are an extremely short time in my perspective, and since many of us have limited funds, stretching expensive comic book acquisitions over time (adapted to individual needs) may be an important rule. I know the feeling and urge of wanting to complete a run as fast as possible, but in order to make CGC book collecting a positive opportunity instead of a burden, I guess it is important to become the tortoise and not the hare according to Aesop's Fables:

hare_turtle.jpg

At least this is how I try to complete a focused ASM run, it does not need to be finished in a year or two, it may take me 10 or 20 years, who knows. And maybe in the end, this tortoise may actually beat current hares... So total abstinence may not necessarily be a solution and may be too hard for many collectors, while responsible and slow collecting may provide an alternative solution.

Sincerely,

Rune

Dear Rune,

I truly enjoyed reading your contribution to this discussion thread!

I have to agree with your statement brother; unless one is rich and loaded in $$$, it is wise to be the tortoise and NOT the hare!

However, as I reflect back, if I was not married and it was just me living alone, although the impulsive behavior would not be justified, I think being the hare could have worked, as long as I took a genuine hiatus to begin paying down all of my debt!

I loved all of the sets I put together, especially knowing that it was due to my hustle and grind in buying and selling CGC books...along with buying raw books and having them CGC graded...then flipping them for profits...that gave me an edge in assembling my world-class CGC Sets in such a short amount of time! :grin:

Unfortunately, in my situation, that was NOT the case, and as you stated in the attached journal post, I experienced the "dark side" of CGC Comic Collecting!

Moving forward, I do believe in "bringing balance" to any given situation. With that said, I do intend to collect responsibly in the near future, which includes keeping an open dialogue with my collecting desires and goals with my wife. I think this will be key in having a successful marriage, while still enjoying having a positive and fulfilling experience collecting CGC books!

I truly receive these words of wisdom Rune, and I would be proud to become the Tortoise, while enjoying life with my sexy and beautiful wife!! :)

-Professor Pecora

What a great post, Professor!

I sincerely appreciate you baring your soul to admit to some things most of us wouldn't have the courage to.

Collecting comics can be dangerous, and first things should remain first things!

I couldn't have said it any better...

A very good look into the pitfalls of collecting and I will be re-reading this again. I do feel that this post could benefit many including myself.

Thank you! :)

Dear Hibou,

You're Welcome my brother!

God Bless You!

-Professor Pecora

Depression + credit cards + hunger for expensive comics = financial disaster!

When I read your journal, I immediately understood your issue and I'm glad you were able to recognize that your spending was a result of what sounds like situational (clinical) depression - a natural reaction to being taken out of one's environment. It sounded like you made a tremendous sacrifice by moving halfway across the country for the benefit of your wife's career. You fixated on comics - which are a wonderful distraction, even if they can be expensive!

I know that I've made more than a few purchases during my bouts with depression. And of course, going into debt only makes the depression worse in the long run - so it really can turn into a vicious cycle. I'm really glad that you've recognized this and I'm convinced that the move to liquidate your collection is the right choice in your instance. As a lover of comics, I can also imagine how painful that choice must be for you. You're doing the right thing! Take comfort in that.

I think enthusiastic collectors should set limitations. Set a budget to go along with your collecting goals. Realize that the chase...the painful waiting for that next comic...is more than half the rush you get from collecting in the first place. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

We should all write the expense of collecting in our monthly budgets. Take care of the bills and debt first. Set realistic expectations for spending. Create a "cash only" rule to govern responsibly. Credit cards should never be used to purchase comics unless you can immediately pay back the charge. Refuse to approach collecting as some sort of investment. If you one day make a profit, consider yourself lucky. But if you are basing your comic purchases on "guaranteed liquidity" or "guaranteed return" then you will almost certainly be disappointed.

...and as with any addiction, if you begin to make excuses for your bad habits...then you'll never get better.

Learning to say "no" can be one of the hardest challenges we face.

Thanks again for sharing and I wish you luck in your journey! I've also struggled with depression and spending...that why I think it's important for people like us to get out the word...overspending is a side-effect of certain types of depression (or, more accurately, mania) . It can be a warning sign - especially for men, who tend to be less likely to deal with depression in more obvious ways. Learn how to recognize the symptoms and take the steps to correct it. Most of the time it's as "easy" as changing a few bad habits. Thanks for courageously sharing your experience.

I know that you are also a spiritual man and I'm convinced you will find blessing in the sacrifice!

Thank you for the journal! I very much appreciate you sharing your story with us!

Dear Sensei Ryan,

On another note, do you teach Martial Arts as a profession...hence your "Sensei" title in your profile name?

Just curious, because I have been into Martial Arts since I was 12 years old. I started taking Tae-Kwon-Do and actually was a 1993 state (NY) champion and a Junior Olympic Tae-Kwon-Do champion (held that year in Dayton, Ohio!)

Peace & God Bless!

-Professor Pecora

Professor,

I do assist teaching at my dojo but I do not own my own dojo. I've been involved with martial arts since the age of 18 (I'm 32 now) - I couldn't start earlier since there was no really good karate school where I grew up (had to wait until college). So you are correct in guessing why I have the Sensei in front of my name. Martial Arts (Karate, Kempo, Ju-Jutsu, & Kobudo) & comics are my two hobby obsessions.

That's awesome that you have those martial arts accolades under your literal 'belt' - do you still practice any Tae-Kwon-Do?

Sidenote - reading parts of your journal sounded as if they could have come from my very own experiences. I started it when I got to work yesterday morning and read it off and on throughout the day. I wanted to give it my full attention and not just skim through it like I do most journals. The obsession part of collecting is something I also grapple with...I have a handle on it at the moment, thankfully...just in the process of paying down the debt aftermath (which is therapeutic but also difficult at the same time).

Thanks again for sharing your story with us :)

I fully agree, do not buy comic books for money you do not have as a rule of thumb - that may indeed be the road to financial ruin, stress and depression. Currently prices seem to decline as the Census grows in numbers, so buying books just for profit may be risky business. So do not buy books you cannot afford, and if you cannot accept that they may significantly drop in price.

As you write, half of the joy may be to get a periodic comic fix, and then you start craving for more books. I think many CGC book collectors have experienced the slippery slope from buying a few carefully selected books to compulsive hoarding (or close ;-)

Personally I started buying some raw books, then some 9.2s, then 9.4s, and then I made myself a promise of only upgrading a book, if I could gain 2 steps up the grading ladder, for example from 9.4 to 9.8. But soon I found myself upgrading from 9.6 to 9.8. Currently I would happily pay great amounts to upgrade a 9.8 OW-W to WP, or a 9.8 WP to a 9.8 WP with more perfect cover centering and orientation. And once I thought that paying $200 for a book was expensive, now such amounts may not even cover the shipping expenses (thank you FedEx Priority, *cough*).

So the downward CGC spiral is not to be underestimated, as such things often happen gradually, until it may be hard to find a way out. Again Pecora found his way out, but at a great cost, since he lost his precious collection. Of course changing your set of life values, as Pecora and Schmell have done (but what about Schmell's Vault, did he really sell that FF #1 9.6... well, never mind...), but I consider my books one of my great passions in life, and I would rather not loose that passion.

As I wrote before, slowing down (tortoise vs. hare) may be a solution, but just slowing down may be hard to do, if it means not buying available books that you would love to own. Another way to slow down is to raise your book selection criteria. This works on several levels, first it slows you down (maybe to a crawl ;-), secondly you may end up with *much* better books. For example, you can choose to buy only 9.6 or 9.8, and only go for pure white pages, and avoid angled miswraps (=books that do not have perfect centering and perfect cover orientation), and avoid books with date stamps or handwritings (yes, even 9.8 books may have handwritings). Suddenly very few books may qualify for your collection. Well, I really dislike angled miswraps, date stamps and handwritings, so such restrictions came naturally to me, and they have slowed me down considerably. - Quite a good thing when collecting high-grade old ASM books I guess. And I only buy 9.6 books with no visible defects (that I can see on available scans/photos).

In short, setting your standards extremely high from the start (a 9.8 is not just a 9.8) will automatically slow you down - and my experience is that often you can end up with a simply astonishing and "perfect" WP book without even paying more than if you rushed out and purchased the first O-W miswrap you came across.

(I understand that the the ideas presented above may not work for modern books, since these often are perfectly printed and have pure WP, thus may only work for older books.)

I am SO glad you were able to figure this out before it was too late Professor. God is good man, in all circumstances. You hit all the keys my friend...keep God first, keep your wife closely involved in your thought process and decisions, keep the money spent disposable, and don't let it consume your every thought. You are an inspiration sir and I wish you nothing but the BEST! Please continue to keep us posted here on the next chapter in your life! :)

sig.jpg

Dear Sensei Ryan,

Peace & God Bless!

-Professor Pecora

Professor,

I do assist teaching at my dojo but I do not own my own dojo. I've been involved with martial arts since the age of 18 (I'm 32 now) - I couldn't start earlier since there was no really good karate school where I grew up (had to wait until college). So you are correct in guessing why I have the Sensei in front of my name. Martial Arts (Karate, Kempo, Ju-Jutsu, & Kobudo) & comics are my two hobby obsessions.

That's awesome that you have those martial arts accolades under your literal 'belt' - do you still practice any Tae-Kwon-Do?

Sidenote - reading parts of your journal sounded as if they could have come from my very own experiences. I started it when I got to work yesterday morning and read it off and on throughout the day. I wanted to give it my full attention and not just skim through it like I do most journals. The obsession part of collecting is something I also grapple with...I have a handle on it at the moment, thankfully...just in the process of paying down the debt aftermath (which is therapeutic but also difficult at the same time).

Thanks again for sharing your story with us :)

Sensei Ryan,

No, I haven't practiced Tae-Kwon-Do at any training centers, etc for many years. However, I have practiced and trained on my own throughout the years and have also ventured into MMA, where I learned how to grapple, wrestle, and fight off of my back (BJJ). So combined with my extensive striking background in Tae-Kwon-Do, I became pretty good at MMA, to the point in which I was training with a team when I was living in the Bronx! However, we all went our separate ways, so MMA will remain a sport I practice to stay fit and active, but my music (that comes from my soul) will remain my number one passion and dream to pursue! :-)

-Professor Pecora