• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone out there collects Classic Illustrated from the '40s
1 1

174 posts in this topic

Hi, I agree, it is not common to find any extremist in Classics. Funny, most comic fans from the 60's or before, all know and owned Classics. So the label is very well known. Collectors, that is a different breed. Caring about what you used as a reference for book reports and comic collecting, split paths. When I hit a local comic show, the most common response I get from dealers (when asked for Classicis) is, "yeah, got a ton of them but didn't want to lug the boxes to the show". I also loved the EC's because of the famed comic burn era of the middle 50's.

As for the Anthologies, not into those yet. Still struggling with how much to spend on Classics, worried about owning a dying breed? Your thoughts on the series continuing to be collectible?

If anybody has the Canadian Edition of Classics Illustrated # 20 The Corsican Brothers

The inside front cover is blank and the inside back cover is blank and the back cover is blank.

It is worth $200 to me if in decent shape!

If anybody has this book, please feel free to PM me. (thumbs u

Hi, the French set has 30 issues. Titled "Mondial Aventures". Give me awhile and I will post a couple of pictures. Very cool set. I have about 8 dups. All were produced in the mid 50's. I found some at a flea market in Cannes. Kind of weird to shop for comics in Europe but now it's a blast. Prices when one hits here on eBay are 4 times what you can deal for in a book store or swap meet in the foreign markets.

Hi, got it coming from UK. Bought it and will see how it compares to the one in my set. I am more interested in a trade? I need a decent #5 and #49 in the Canadian series. I suppose you know the history of #20 and the blank pages? Quite an unusual story of these 2nd year (1947) Canadian issues. The price guide (Malen), shows #20 to have only one know existing copy. Of course, the guide was published in the mid 90's, but still I have only found #10-#20 in the UK. Never in Canada, except from serious collectors and I am not sure how they got theirs.The Guide doesn't even list #17, since they quote none known. Let me know if you are interested.

mberkus@aol.com

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, the French set has 30 issues. Titled "Mondial Aventures". Give me awhile and I will post a couple of pictures. Very cool set. I have about 8 dups. All were produced in the mid 50's. I found some at a flea market in Cannes. Kind of weird to shop for comics in Europe but now it's a blast. Prices when one hits here on eBay are 4 times what you can deal for in a book store or swap meet in the foreign markets.

Thanks for the info.

Here's a complete gallery with the French covers -

Mondial Aventures

Your #13 shown could be either a reprinted US version or the tougher Canadian version. Easy to figure out, check the front inside or back and see if it lists a Toronto address. It looks like my Canadian issue, if so, around $100 in gd/vg condition. If it's got US address on back, around $40 in this shape. Only #'s 10, 12, 13, 14, and 15 were Classic Comics in Canada, all the rest are Classics Illustrated. Hope this helps

Thanks for the information. Looks like my 13 is the US reprint that was part of the boxed set. Here's my back cover

HORRORCLASSICCOMICS13D_zps59bba7f0.jpg

I am interested to know if the French versions are reprints with new covers or new books. Looks like it's a mix with some original content in that series, no? I would investigate further with time but figured you might know. I was excited for example to see some covers by Pellos.

These comics were sold well into the seventies in a variety of places that were not standard comics outlets. In fact they were everywhere with the plethora of reprints keeping most titles in stock. While I didn't use for book reports I do recall them inspiring me to pick up some of the original books for a read!

Hi, got it coming from UK. Bought it and will see how it compares to the one in my set. I am more interested in a trade? I need a decent #5 and #49 in the Canadian series. I suppose you know the history of #20 and the blank pages? Quite an unusual story of these 2nd year (1947) Canadian issues. The price guide (Malen), shows #20 to have only one know existing copy. Of course, the guide was published in the mid 90's, but still I have only found #10-#20 in the UK. Never in Canada, except from serious collectors and I am not sure how they got theirs.The Guide doesn't even list #17, since they quote none known. Let me know if you are interested.

mberkus@aol.com

Thanks,

Mike

PM Sent

Mondial Aventures 1954 - 1959, 1-30 with issues #1, 5, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 22, 24, 26, and 27 are US titles. All the other issues are unique to the French series and really interesting. John Malen's reference guide (may be purchased on the site "classics central") not only is extremely knowledgeable about all the foreign issues, but details the complexities and nuances, surrounding the publications. Very helpful on my hunt for the bizarre. Even the US titles have different covers. Really a bright and super group of comics. If you have any Canadians, Australians, or 1st edition US (1-34), I would offer a trade. Also, Little Lulu's in very high grade. Anyway, it's fun to know this stuff but useless in the world around us. lol.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I only have the Jones book as my main Classics reference and only thought of foreign classics as a UK or Greek "thing". Never realized / heard about the French variants, esp. with original material :o

Unfortunately all my classics are low grades and the majority are not the first editions. I get them for fun and the little one is now liking the Classics Jr. so low grade copies that will be read outside in the rain are a better fit for this household. I am going to France in about a month, this'll give me something to look for :)

Thanks for the info Mike. I only have the Jones book as my main Classics reference and only thought of foreign classics as a UK or Greek "thing". Never realized / heard about the French variants, esp. with original material :o

Unfortunately all my classics are low grades and the majority are not the first editions. I get them for fun and the little one is now liking the Classics Jr. so low grade copies that will be read outside in the rain are a better fit for this household. I am going to France in about a month, this'll give me something to look for :)

I know just what you mean … but if that ain't one of the all time geek statements! :D

:gossip: Going to France for a visit is not that big of a deal for me though I don't go back too often these days but I won't be busy sightseeing so I am not cannibalizing time away from that. Given that we are bringing the girls, every possible family members will try to get a piece of our time; expeditions looking for French Classics are going to be a great diversion for me. :)

:gossip: Going to France for a visit is not that big of a deal for me though I don't go back too often these days but I won't be busy sightseeing so I am not cannibalizing time away from that. Given that we are bringing the girls, every possible family members will try to get a piece of our time; expeditions looking for French Classics are going to be a great diversion for me. :)

I know. I couldn't resist commenting on a great line. :foryou:

Wow, now I did it! Started a stampede to find all the treasures, lol. Glad to help, One small tip. Take a picture of one of the French comics and put it on your phone, that way when you hit a swap meet or a book store you can show them what you are looking for. Lots of misunderstanding when you just say "comic books". Don't forget to ask for US or other Classic issues as well. During the war and afterwards, millions of Classics were sent to our troops. Good luck, Mike

I had forgotten how much I was into classics in the early 2000's.

I updated my tag line to show the ramaining Classics I need to finish off the entire US series.

I have all of the JR's , all of the WAU's and hardest of all the Famous Authors/Fast Fiction's Series

I have A cardboard Classics Display rack up in my office filled with bagged 2 for 49cents classics.

I also have 8 Hardback Classics Comics that were printed in Spain in 1990 and sold in England for 2.99 pounds.