• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone out there collects Classic Illustrated from the '40s
1 1

174 posts in this topic

9135082010_f0fbffbf5a.jpg

mm

Those are nice Marty. That Black Arrow doesn't show up very often in my experience.

Can't say that I am familiar with the cover either. Here's the later painted version -

CI-BlackArrow-31_zps337e8640.jpg

My BLACK ARROW is an original with a HRL of #30 dated October 1946.

It also contains this advertisement inside the front cover.

11270840863_6529e79b21.jpg

mm

Right. Mine is HRN 166, heck it's priced @ 25¢. However, this is one of the Arnold Hicks Classics that never got redrawn so the interiors of yours and mine match (unless they took off a few pages in my version versus yours).

Tatoos! Disney princess tattoos are in vogue at my house :facepalm:

Right. Mine is HRN 166, heck it's priced @ 25¢. However, this is one of the Arnold Hicks Classics that never got redrawn so the interiors of yours and mine match (unless they took off a few pages in my version versus yours).

Tatoos! Disney princess tattoos are in vogue at my house :facepalm:

My copy has 56 pages with this advertisement for the next issue.

11273259414_f706d88c29.jpg

mm

Fascinating thread!

Don't have any interesting foreign editions, but I DO have something interesting, related to the Classics, I've been picking up the original printer's plates to many of the covers from 50's and 1960's editions.

An acquaintance brings a coaster wagon full of them to every Motor City show and I buy all I can afford. This year I got the cover to the 25 cent Uncle Tom's Cabin, among others. All four plates (Black Red Yellow Cyan) are made of copper and the engraving is enormously detailed. Thick and heavy, I bet they'd scrap out at close to what he's selling them for.

One of a kind coolness, I'll have a couple of these sets framed when I get a really nice copy of the comic.

My favorite? Off On A Comet, by Jules Verne. My fave Classics when I was a kid.

Hi, I agree, it is not common to find any extremist in Classics. Funny, most comic fans from the 60's or before, all know and owned Classics. So the label is very well known. Collectors, that is a different breed. Caring about what you used as a reference for book reports and comic collecting, split paths. When I hit a local comic show, the most common response I get from dealers (when asked for Classicis) is, "yeah, got a ton of them but didn't want to lug the boxes to the show". I also loved the EC's because of the famed comic burn era of the middle 50's.

As for the Anthologies, not into those yet. Still struggling with how much to spend on Classics, worried about owning a dying breed? Your thoughts on the series continuing to be collectible?

Classics :cloud9: ..... one of my favorite finds in the "wild" was an original owner Classics run. The lady was the wife of a fellow that I was doing some sign painting for. She overheard me mention old comics and brought them down.... intersted in selling them. The 1 was coverless and the run went up to the late #40's. Most were VG/F but several were nicer. The 43 was real pretty and sold almost instantly. The 15 was also real nice. One of my favorites..... first print Last of the Mohicans, wasn't there unfortunately. Judy wants a decent Moby ..... but she's quitethe bargain shopper. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I checked the back history for Classics Illustrated, and found I had missed this thread. :makepoint:

That makes at least two threads on the topic in the last 2 or 3 years,leading me to conclude there is more interest on the series than I thought.

I only have one book of the original series. It's in pretty rough condition. It was a gift from my mother in-law.

CLASSIC_81_zpsfpsq2jnh.jpg

I checked the back history for Classics Illustrated, and found I had missed this thread. :makepoint:

That makes at least two threads on the topic in the last 2 or 3 years,leading me to conclude there is more interest on the series than I thought.

I only have one book of the original series. It's in pretty rough condition. It was a gift from my mother in-law.

CLASSIC_81_zpsfpsq2jnh.jpg

I didn't remember those threads either and I'm pretty sure I read them. This one was less than a year ago. doh!

Oh, well. I've got a few Classics, but they are all beaters although one or two might be originals. I don't think I have any scanned.

8459645274_80e22bf60b.jpg

mm

Great book! One of my favorites.

Brilliant cover on that books as well. (thumbs u

Coincidentally the original series changed over from drawn to painted covers with issue #81 with Cyclops on the cover. The OPG also mentions that in the mid 50's 70 of the original line drawn covers were reissued with painted covers. I wonder if this was an attempt to stimulate sales for the reprints by upgrading the cover art. For the issues where I have seen both the line drawn cover and the painted cover, I think the line drawn covers look better. Interestingly enough the series came to a halt in 1962, due at least partly to the introduction of Cliff Notes, confirming the thoughts of more than a few, that many of these book were bought and read by students as a short cut for book reports, instead of reading the original full length books.

Have not posted a Classics in quite a while. I switched my numerical based collecting from these books with their HRN's to the even more mathematically based FOUR COLORS almost a decade ago.

HRN 21

CC1HRN21.jpg

HRN 10

CC2HRN10.jpg

HRN 10

CC3HRN10.jpg

HRN 15

CC4HRN15.jpg

Wow according to my own sig line I still need 8 regular classics as well as 5 special editions.

HRN 10

CC5HRN10.jpg

HRN 20

CC6HRN20.jpg

My earliest First Edition HRN 6

CC7HRN6.jpg

Probably my most valuable CC HRN 7

CC8HRN7.jpg

slightly OT - but that Odyssey reminds me that I just picked up a cool old cyclops - stag antler 100+ years old... approx 3-1/2" tall

cyclops.JPG

Good grief! :o How can you sleep with that in your house???