• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If anyone out there collects Classic Illustrated from the '40s
1 1

174 posts in this topic

Here is page 4 of the tracking.  I went back and adjusted things to only have 50 per page with separate headings.

I also used the middle section to enter the name where i could.  Still have not figured out how I want to represent the variations yet.

Does anybody collect the Acclaim issues?  I am confused about the numbering.  They seemed to be using a numbering system on the spine and internally on the Reorder page until it came to the last one I have War of the Worlds which was 188 while all the rest were between 1 and 57.  Mycomicshop  uses an entirely different numbering system  and Overstreet  makes no attempt at all

Classics Spreadsheet pg4.jpg

Some really nice underrated books in the Classics run. 

Rip Van Winkle and Sleepy Hollow is a great read with charming artwork.

Jekyll and Hyde is illustrated by the wonderful Lou Cameron. Worth a look if you haven't seen it especially if you enjoy his Ace Precode horror work. 

Edited by Darth Corgi

Updating my tracking spreadsheet 

For all but some of the earliest issue  I was able to fit the name into the middle of the page.  numbering is accurate prior to the name.  Just count from there for later editions.  For example #68 Julius Caesar  with an HRN of 166 is the 8th printing

I have now included a notation   where the cover changes.  In the beginning most of the changes were where they had a Line Drawn Cover (LDC)  which to my untrained eyes does not look substantially different than the original, but later on they were an entirely different cover

I have also included a reference to where the story changed.  This could be where the story dropped pages, or where entirely different artwork was used 

In special cases where both occurred at the same time both methods are used.  For example the 4th printing of #52 House of the Seven Gables has an HRN of 142  and it has both a new cover and new art

I am starting to add my green HAVE dots , but I have kept an unmarked version if someone here would like to work with it for their own collecting

I found this inside an issue today when I was adding extenders to some of the better issues.  The website i found while researching it  did not even know this issue was published 

Classic Spreadsheet pg2.jpg

Riders Reader 5v4 .jpg

Riders Reader 5v4 inside.jpg

I started getting back into classics a bit.  With all of the experience I have gained from the 10 years of focusing on Four Colors I have been able to tackle the organization of that genre.  I am enjoying seeing more green shade being added.  I think I am going to do an alternate shading for books that I have, but are in need of an upgrade. But that analysis may need to wait a while 

Decided to add the books in the Classics display rack I have in my office.  I have like 30 of the late 60's  2 for 49 packs .Most with the stiff cover so the books are all NM. These packs are not sealed so you can easily get at the books and even change which ones are together.  During organizing I found that I had 11 packs that were dupes  and will be offering them in my WTTF thread.

Classic 2 pack A.jpg

Classic 2 pack B.jpg

So I think I finally have everything contained on the 4 page tracking spreadsheet.

Virtually all Editions are noted,  with their HRN.  O   detones originals with no AD

Changes of Art or Story are noted with the first HRN that contained the change

For all but a few the Titles,  the name is noted

For my tracking Highlight in green  means I have the issue in an acceptable grade

Orange means that I have the issue, but would be happy to upgrade to a F  or better.

At this point I am only looking for first printings  which is the first column

Tracking Classics_Page_1.jpg

Tracking Classics_Page_2.jpg

Tracking Classics_Page_3.jpg

Tracking Classics_Page_4.jpg

Well the book did not disappoint and a fun read this morning to celebrate Memorial Day while stranded at home. It reminded me of why I enjoyed these books as a kid sometimes with some high adventure fairly well illustrated! The book is dialogue heavy; a far cry from the current crop of comics!

1087974936_CI64Splash.thumb.jpg.bddf6db656591375d6b356287a46f01b.jpg

21 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Gotta love Classics. Just picked up this reader copy of #64 (high reorder number) for $3. The book is sparkling pretty and I plan on reading it tomorrow. Big book of fun!

Classics64.thumb.jpg.693ad462f094236a7bc10cb2c33a472c.jpg

Was required reading as a kid in school. I liked it so much, I actually read the real book!