• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people think New Mutants #98 had a "high print run"...?

380 posts in this topic

He mentioned that he found a box of each sitting in storage from back in the day, but unfortunately sold most of the 98s for $30 apiece a couple of years or so ago. He was happy to be doing better with his 87s. lol

I remember when he sold 10,000+ back stock books to another store in the early 00s that he had actually moved close to a long box of NM 98s in the deal. I wonder how many more he has sitting from speculative purchases in the back? hm

You have to remember that for every one big winner a LCS was fortunate enough to have save, they are probably also sitting on hundreds and even thousands of boxes of sure fire Marvel winners such as Star Brand, Death's Head, Team America, Heathcliff, etc. let alone other publishers such as Maibu with Prime, Ultraforce, and their other in-demand Ultraverse titles. :gossip::tonofbricks:

Hey don't be slamming Ultraverse those books were the bomb. :banana:

Has the bubble burst?

Are you referring to the 9.8 white pages that just sold for $710?

If that's what the last one sold at then I guess it's cooled off a bit.

Actually, I just scooped up a 9.4 white pager for 325 plus tax at the LCS...

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think a 9.8 copy should be around $300 at best.

I've held off on this book forever because I think it's so overvalued.

Anyone else agree..or not?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think a 9.8 copy should be around $300 at best.

I think a bigger offender as far as being "overvalued" is BA #12.

I think a bigger offender as far as being "overvalued" is BA #12.

I would guess about one tenth as many were printed. Anyone know the actual numbers?

One of the hottest characters out right now...I'd say the way the prices are now are pretty fair.

Edited by CxG Voodoo Doll

Has the bubble burst?

DP back issues, including NM 98, have been ice cold since the movie passed other than Spider-Man Deadpool. It is funny seeing how slow they are at shows now.

Has the bubble burst?

DP back issues, including NM 98, have been ice cold since the movie passed other than Spider-Man Deadpool. It is funny seeing how slow they are at shows now.

Really? I sold my last 2 NM98's at a local show about a month ago.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:
On 7/28/2016 at 6:55 PM, Noodlez said:

Has the bubble burst?

I would say no.  Has a chance of becoming the AF#15 and Incredible Hulk #181 for its time era.

Seems to now be officially a blue-chip.

Another book is already the AF #15/IH #181 of the Copper Age. NM 98 is a nice key, but not the top 1st appearance for the CA.

Edited by kimik

It is an early Copper Age book that (for the time being) sells for a bit to a lot more than IH 181 across all grades....................

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

It is an early Copper Age book that (for the time being) sells for a bit to a lot more than IH 181 across all grades....................

One thing though TMNT#1 is more valuable, but it doesn't sell in the volume like NM#98 does. What makes NM #98 similar to AF#15 and Hulk #181 is the volume they sell each and every week.

So TMNT #1 is more valuable, but NM #98 moves more copies so one can say it has a bigger market share.

:preach:

11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing though TMNT#1 is more valuable, but it doesn't sell in the volume like NM#98 does. What makes NM #98 similar to AF#15 and Hulk #181 is the volume they sell each and every week.

So TMNT #1 is more valuable, but NM #98 moves more copies so one can say it has a bigger market share.

TMNT #1 shouldn't ever sell in volume.  It wasn't printed in volume.  TMNT #1's original print run of 3,275 copies puts it in AF #15 territory in terms of "surviving copies", despite being 22 years younger.  NM #98 will always win the volume crown, because there were so many to start with... but I do like the market share concept as a measure for understanding comic prices.  It really works well to track the "invisible hand" of the market, and to put books of different eras onto the same playing field. 

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

If you want volume, then ASM #300 is the king as it sells in a similar or higher volume to NM #98 in 9.4 and under (it is much tougher than NM 98 in 9.6 and 9.8, but still has nice volume) but at double the prices. That would be closer to IH 181 or AF 15 than NM 98.

NM 98 is the third or fourth biggest 1st appearance book for the CA after TMNT #1 and ASM #300. It is in similar standing to BA #12, but at a much lower value in grade. 

TMNT 1 still trumps them all, just like AF 15 or Hulk 181.

Edited by kimik

20 hours ago, kimik said:

If you want volume, then ASM #300 is the king as it sells in a similar or higher volume to NM #98 in 9.4 and under (it is much tougher than NM 98 in 9.6 and 9.8, but still has nice volume) but at double the prices. That would be closer to IH 181 or AF 15 than NM 98.

NM 98 is the third or fourth biggest 1st appearance book for the CA after TMNT #1 and ASM #300. It is in similar standing to BA #12, but at a much lower value in grade. 

TMNT 1 still trumps them all, just like AF 15 or Hulk 181.

I agree - from Copper -> Modern keys, I feel like it goes: TMNT1 (I always thought this was bronze age, not copper, but I guess it's right on the cusp), ASM300, BA12, NYX3, NM98, NM87, maybe ASM361. This is excluding non-big 2 books like Walking Dead 1, Saga 1 or any of the variant covers.

BA12 and NYX3 I think are up there (similar to TMNT1) because of lower print runs than the others. BA12 having been a comic marketed towards kids with what I assume is a lower print run / less hoarded over by speculators, and NYX3 also being a book that few people were really reading or pulling, and also would have a lower print run than ASM or NM.

3 hours ago, CKinTO said:

I agree - from Copper -> Modern keys, I feel like it goes: TMNT1 (I always thought this was bronze age, not copper, but I guess it's right on the cusp), ASM300, BA12, NYX3, NM98, NM87, maybe ASM361. This is excluding non-big 2 books like Walking Dead 1, Saga 1 or any of the variant covers.

BA12 and NYX3 I think are up there (similar to TMNT1) because of lower print runs than the others. BA12 having been a comic marketed towards kids with what I assume is a lower print run / less hoarded over by speculators, and NYX3 also being a book that few people were really reading or pulling, and also would have a lower print run than ASM or NM.

I would put X-Men 266 before ASM 361.  When you type in "X-Men" on ebay, it is the third option that comes up after 1 and 101.  It is even before 12 and 94.  I don't really know why, but collectors (including myself) just have a certain fascination with this book.