• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people think New Mutants #98 had a "high print run"...?

380 posts in this topic

"A titan against a titan!"

No reason to take it there. Though some enjoy stirring the pot.

I didn't mean to stir the mess, I like both of you guys and a discussion like this makes for a great read. It's comic books, so it's all fun anyway (thumbs u

I didn't mean to stir the mess, I like both of you guys and a discussion like this makes for a great read. It's comic books, so it's all fun anyway (thumbs u

:foryou:

No worries. Just didn't want it turning into a flame war, and taking it off-topic from having a solid discussion about a favorite period of time.

New Mutants #100 was cancelled in AprilFebruary, 1991. In June 1991, X-Force #1 came out and sold 5 1.75 million copies.

It's pretty safe to say that New Mutants was a popular title before X-Force, and even though it probably wasn't selling one million copies a month, it's sales were escalating since Cable showed up.

smiley_nah.gif

I wouldn't say it was a "high" print run, but I'd definitely qualify it for a "normal" print run, and back then, Mutant books were all the rage. There's plenty of NM98s for everyone.

:popcorn:

Are you disagreeing that mutant books were popular in 1991? Can you share the information to support that, because the information I have shows that next to Spider-man, all the mutant titles were quite popular. I was also working in a comic book shop back then, and while I may look at that time through rose-colored glasses, a large majority of our pulls were mutie books. Comichron's information regarding Diamond's Sales Rankings.

It never got hot until after I was out of comics.

This is the only part of this topic I have trouble believing.... :shy:

It was only from late 92 through the end of 97. :shy:

I wish I was out of new comics during that period. doh!

Question- during this period, do we still assume that returned newsstand issues were destroyed? Or were they repacked in those "Three rare out of print comics for $5.00!" multipacks or sold at Vintage Stock stores?

exactamundo. why are we assuming these went into the shredder, especially when these are probably books that could have been bulked out out to dealers 6/$1 or whatever through the back door before hitting the shredder because the title/artist was hot? as we know from the mile high II collection, this is kind of how it was done back in the day.

-------------------

After that, the crash of 95-96, and the great malaise of 1997-2002, took its toll on just about every formerly "hot" mainstream comic from the previous nearly 20 years. NM #98 wasn't even able to keep New Mutants #87 or X-Men #266 status, and settled right back to being a "dollar issue" for the 15 years after the first mini.

While I do not doubt that there were many NM 98s living in dollar boxes out there, as someone who was activiely looking for copies since the late 90s at local shows/shops who only found it in such a place ONCE during those years (only to have the dealer pull the book back and say "that shouldn't be in there") [same is true of Harbinger 1, X-O 1, etc...never found one in a dollar box], i wouldn't call it a "dollar box" book. i bought plenty of the liefield books 86, 88-97, 99 in the cheap-o boxes thinking they might "come back" one day, but not ths one. no, i'm not at every show, but I pretty regularly used to hit 3 or 4 a year back then and generally come home with 1 - 1.5 long boxes of dollar box type stuff. [indeed, other than the above, i have pulled virtually everything from that era out of $1 boxes: X-Men 266, 248, the annual with gambit's first, NM 87, hulk 340, asm 300 (ok, that was at a yard sale, doesn't count), NTT #2, Wolverine 1, etc.]

not to say it wasn't easily found in $2 boxes...I sometimes wish I had been less cheap and checked more of those out...probably woud have gotten better stuff!

anyway, the notion that this book getting "un-hot" may have resulted in lots of them getting dinged up is silly. this book was bagged and boarded just like any other X-book of its era and even when it was "cold" it was more "in demand" than 99% of the other stuff produced in 1990/1991.

RMA, it's ok, you're a smart guy and i know, this is "your era" of collecting and you have 1,000 copies of NM 98, but there's no need to start posts touting its relative "rareness"...its sales figures (today and 23 YEARS AGO) speak for themselves. the 150-200,000+ copies floating around out there apparently have a pretty good FMV. sure, if all of them went up for sale at once it would crash, but so would the Picasso market. yes, it's clearly not a glut book. people will not be building houses out of NM 98s like they can with turok 1.

Edited by the blob

I worked in a newstand for 5 years and I remember all comics we returned had the covers torn off and returned to show proof of credit.

:eek:

-slym

Obviously, the practice varied. We never had to show any "proof of credit". We date-stamped the books upon receipt, got a count when we returned them and were credited on our next bill. Don't have any idea what the local distributor did with the returned copies. However, this was way before the direct market existed.

I worked in a newstand for 5 years and I remember all comics we returned had the covers torn off and returned to show proof of credit.

-slym

maybe they learned their lesson by the early 90s from the mile high II mess

does anyone know if those 3 comic collector packs sold here and there tended to be newstand or direct editions? personally, i never saw one for 90s books until i went to europe last summer where, oddly enough, you see early 90s french image books shrink wrapped at gas stations and what not, but i read about them, so maybe it was more of a regional thing.

-slym

maybe they learned their lesson by the early 90s from the mile high II mess

Just re-read Chuck's Mile High II account - my apologies :grin:

does anyone know if those 3 comic collector packs sold here and there tended to be newstand or direct editions? personally, i never saw one for 90s books until i went to europe last summer where, oddly enough, you see early 90s french image books shrink wrapped at gas stations and what not, but i read about them, so maybe it was more of a regional thing.

Almost always, any of the books sold in multi-packs of any type from the mid 80's on, were direct market copies. I don't think I've ever seen a multi-pack from after 1986 that had any newsstand copies in them.

so i'm guessing leftover from the distributors back when they dodn't print to order?

sure sounds like selling comics at the newstand was a huge waste of time for all involved with 35-70% return rates. with that said, it sure seems like in the 70s and 80s those newstand returns weren't going to the shredder given how many northeast dealers seem to have bundles of various issues of these books they pull out at shows that look like they haven't seen light in 30 years. heck, even my local shop used to have 50-100 copies of some 70s DC and Gold Key issues he'd be bringing up from the basement for years and i don't think it is because some comic shop in the 70s overordered.. mile high chuck i think wasn't the only one buying these from crooks.

New Mutants #100 was cancelled in April, 1991. In June 1991, X-Force #1 came out and sold 5 million copies. It's pretty safe to say that New Mutants was a popular title before X-Force, and even though it probably wasn't selling one million copies a month, it's sales were escalating since Cable showed up.

So escalating that I stopped buying it, very likely with issue #94. :insane:

Seriously, New Mutants in the #50s and #60s were, both artistically and storytelling wise, a lot better than the last ten issues of the series.

X-Force… no please. :sick:

No worries. Just didn't want it turning into a flame war, and taking it off-topic from having a solid discussion about a favorite period of time.

We're a civilized people , here in the copper section, unlike those whipper snappers over in the modern zoo.

We're a civilized people , here in the copper section, unlike those whipper snappers over in the modern zoo.

lol

What happened now?