• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

35 Cent Variant Pedigree info
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Wasn't it somewhere in California or am I mixing this up with the 30's?

I think you are correct.

That he is mixed up with the 30's?

Michigan, Maryland, Texas, California, New Mexico, and Massachusetts had 30c books.

So my thought on Pennsylvania might still be a better choice. There has to be a collector or a deal in that area who can answer this.

I think you are correct.

Michigan, Maryland, Texas, California, New Mexico, and Massachusetts had 30c books.

So my thought on Pennsylvania might still be a better choice. There has to be a collector or a deal in that area who can answer this.

I'm pretty certain it is a certain city in PA. My OO copies of IF 13 and 14 variants came from this city, and I found two others once while driving through. I'm actually paying a visit in the near future and plan on setting aside some time to check.

I think you are correct.

I guess I can't be wrong, hahahaha.

Hmmmm, now I am not sure. I thought I read something about CA and 35 centers, but I have been wrong more than once.

I'm convinced that they tried a different randmized sampling technique with the Tarzan and John Carter issues. There are a hugely disproportionate number of variant versions of these books, that it may be likely for some distributors they were the norm, not the exception. Marvel may have wanted to see what happened to sales figures for a distributory when most every issue was the higher price. In that case, it would be possible for a .35 variant to come from an area where there were no other variants.

Or maybe the Tarzan, John Carter, and Star Wars issues were all just saved more because they started with a number one issue and then were new titles...unlike, say, Marvel Triple Action.
I am thinking the same thing but what about Flintstones and Scooby Doo. Heck, my grandparents and many other people older people liked watching the Flintstones and my aunts & uncles still like Scooby Doo. In the area I live, I find the #1 regular copies in back issue boxes and on Craig’s List. Therefore, those two books should not be that hard to find as they are.

I'm convinced that they tried a different randmized sampling technique with the Tarzan and John Carter issues. There are a hugely disproportionate number of variant versions of these books, that it may be likely for some distributors they were the norm, not the exception. Marvel may have wanted to see what happened to sales figures for a distributory when most every issue was the higher price. In that case, it would be possible for a .35 variant to come from an area where there were no other variants.

This makes sense along with the Star Wars issues. They come up much more often than the other 35s and Marvel would want as wide a distrubution as possible to see the price resistance for new series vs older established ones. It is also possible that some 35s were not available in all 35 cent test markets thus making those tougher to find which might explain the rarity of the HB comics. Why they would limit the HB comics might have to do with the demographics targeted as those are more for younger kids where the parents make the decision for them and not the direct consumer. Just a theory but it is what I could come up with.

blush.gif Hear is something very interesting I have discovered a printing error in my Howard the Duck #15 35 cent variant it has 4 pages where the color plates were switched "see DiceX's thread in Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issue about Production Flaws".

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hear is what I am thinking if the 35 cent variants were printed at the same time as the normal 30 cent issues which I assume they were because if they were not they would be reprints right.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif And since the 35 cent variant of this Howard the Duck 15 has 4 pages of errors and the normal 30 cent verision does not would this not mean that the 35 cent variants were printed first and after they corrected the error they printed the normal 30 cent ones. Is this Proff that 35 cent variants were printed before the normal 30 cent version ? I don't know for sure but I have seen two HTD 15 variants with this error and I have seen dozens of the normal 30 cent version with out it and it doesn't make sense that the error would happen at the end of a print run which would require plate changes what does everyone else think? confused-smiley-013.gif

653234-HTDp.18error.jpg

Always nice to read about like-minded comics enthusiasts getting into the core of things. Maybe someone can compile a collection of such informative topics into a fanzine, or maybe incorporate it into a regular feature in one of the backissue mags like Alter Ego or Backissue. Keep up the great discussion, guys! Just reading makes me feel as if i'm transported back in time to the swinging 70s!

smile.gif well I finaly got that new Memphis chart done and it now has over 100 examples on it and it is interesting to compare it to my Toledo chart a lot of the colums do match up but a few don't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I still don't have the weeks figured out but I think the more complete the charts are the eaiser it will be to get this nailed down.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Also the more variants I see the more I think that their may not be a 6th test market and if their is they must not have any distribution marks on them like the Wilmington 35 cent variants and I really hope this is not the case but even if it is we will still be able to identify 4 of the test markets.

And about that 5th test market I still have not got a definite site but I have a few collectors telling me that it is Northern San Fransisco CA. and another collector from their that is sure it is not so for now the 5th Test market is still a Mystery and I hope some one will come forth with some info on this, maybe a orginal owner collection from this 5th area will surface before long I hope confused-smiley-013.gif.

crazy.gif Anyway I hope their are a few still interested in this as much as I am and I will continue to post anything I find as long as others on hear think it is worth while and not a waste of space so let me know what you think. thumbsup2.gif Thanks; Terry

669793-newMemphisChart.jpg

Where and how did you managed to obtain the area distributions charts from, CSM?

]

Where and how did you managed to obtain the area distributions charts from, CSM?

I made the Charts myself from the distribution marks on the top edges of 35 cent variants that I had or have seen. The Charts are very incomplete and I Have not done anything to update them in many years. I still don't have any concret info on where that 5th test market is and one or two of the other Markets might not be exactaly where I originally thought they were. The only ones I am %100 sure of is Wilmington NC. and Toledo OH. because large original owner collections cam from both those areas. I am still interested in the subject and am always looking for more info just have not found out much in a long time. (shrug)

]

I made the Charts myself from the distribution marks on the top edges of 35 cent variants that I had or have seen. The Charts are very incomplete and I Have not done anything to update them in many years. I still don't have any concret info on where that 5th test market is and one or two of the other Markets might not be exactaly where I originally thought they were. The only ones I am %100 sure of is Wilmington NC. and Toledo OH. because large original owner collections cam from both those areas. I am still interested in the subject and am always looking for more info just have not found out much in a long time. (shrug)

You know as much as anyone on the subject Terry. :headbang:

]

You should write a book on your findings on the topic of variants and all those things people may not know about pertaining to comcs of this era

]

You know as much as anyone on the subject Terry. :headbang:

this is where I would usually pop in and refer to Terry as being a "nerd", but I will not do that this time.

:roflmao: