• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Finest

3 posts in this topic

or, Yes, I Bought DC Comics too.

A comic I had and read over and over was none other than World's Finest #271. This comic boasts of the retelling of the Superman-Batman Team. Did you notice it wasn't a number one issue either? This issue is dated September, 1981. This is a full two years and seven months before I picked up that fateful book that had me never look back. What makes a reader of comics choose between one and the other? Why is the line drawn so distinctively between Marvel and DC? What made me choose to buy this book for a dollar instead of going to my usual 3 for $1 Richie Rich books?

Superman is iconic anywhere you go. The Batman one day will rival Sherlock Holmes as the ultimate Detective. The two of them along with Robin were indeed the World's Finest. I enjoyed this book and can think of no reason why I didn'didn't pick up the next issue, oh wait I was nine and going to the comic shop was an after school trip to far and few between for me to collect, not to mention many times I went was more like sneaking a treat than anything else. And I wasn't privy to the magazine stands at the local 7-11. They were always located in the back of the store and I never went past the candy aisle.

So what started me to think of this great issue? I have seen one available for a beautiful price, or should I just buy it raw to read again and again. A digital copy perchance? Could I give up collecting the modern age retellings and relive the Bronze Age, an age I grew up during, which was then solidified throughout the copper age. How many Comic Books are out there that I never followed through to the next issue? Batman #314, Detective Comics #503, or even World's Finest #272.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14682.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Don't do it Tnerb! MMM! Just kidding. I think it's cool you're willing to broaden your horizons. Personally I don't have the wallet or the motivation to move outside of my Marvel bubble at this stage in life...though I was tempted to pick up a copy of Strange Adventures starring the JLA I saw at my LCS a few weeks back (I remembered someone had written a journal about it and it had some purple guy on the cover). It was in great condition and I told my LCS owner he should put it on the wall as it would probably sell pretty quick...he did, and the next week it was off the wall, but it hadn't sold...my LCS took it home for his personal collection!

sig.jpg

I think it's great people are loyal... but when it comes to collecting comics, what's the point of loyalty?

Marvel nor DC nor any comic book house pays my bills or pays me to solely read and tout their comics, so why should I be loyal to just one side? Plus... we need to practice free will... which means read them all.

I was weened on both Marvel and DC and love them both equally. I really never understood the rivalry that developed between fans... each company has a glorious catalogue of the greatest heroes ever created. No one can argue that.

Let's not forget the Indies! They have a huge selection of very imaginative comics with the right dose of weird, bizarre, and mature-oriented to give any comic lover bored with the Big Two an alternative.

Long Live DC! Long Live Marvel! and Long Live Indies! Collect them all if you can!

Good luck... I hope you immerse yourself in discovering the joys of DC's Bronze and Copper Ages! Can't wait for your first follow-up journal dedicated to all things DC! But I still want to read Marvel inspired journals. And maybe you throw in an Indie or two? Heck write them all! :)

SW3D