• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krylon "Make It Acid-Free!" Spray

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried this stuff? I don't mean spraying it on a comic (egad) -- I was thinking maybe using it to treat a long box.

Hose down a long box, toss in a few dozen comics, and see what happens. I'm sure someone will be happy to donate some XForce books for this experiment.

Ever since I dipped my in latex paint, I try not to act on every idea that pops into my head.

At least you were only out the money for the sample size can.

Has anyone tried this stuff? I don't mean spraying it on a comic (egad) -- I was thinking maybe using it to treat a long box.

Deacidification sprays are quite common. If you do a search on the word, you'll find a few different threads on the subject. People do spray their own books.

I don't see the point in making a box acid free when your books are probably bagged and boarded (I'm assuming they are).

The books themselves are the problem as the acids in the paper is what causes degradation.

This is from a post I made last week:

Deacidifcation is something that is going to become a must at some point.

I asked about it back in 2006 when I found out about it.

Link to a 2nd discussion.

Link to a 3rd discussion.

Ever since I dipped my in latex paint, I try not to act on every idea that pops into my head.

Ribbed latex?

You guys need to learn to think out of the box.

how'd that work out for you?

I don't need one. :devil:

I don't see the point in making a box acid free when your books are probably bagged and boarded (I'm assuming they are).

Thanks! I'm going to read through those threads you mention -- I'm challenging ALL my assumptions right now, because I'm deciding how/if to re-do my entire collection.

Yes, my books are bagged and boarded currently, but I'm questioning the wisdom of that. I did it years ago, without any deep understanding of the science. "All the kids were doing it," you know?

But I signed up here as part of my research, after I read about 40 pages one night discussing pH testing and buffered backing boards. I had never HEARD of Gerber or Bill Cole or any of that, and I'm getting a crash course!

And I really appreciate all the knowledge and experience this place has to offer. How pleasant, to find a place where people know what they're talking about!

And I really appreciate all the knowledge and experience this place has to offer. How pleasant, to find a place where people know what they're talking about!

Either that or we fake it really well.

:devil: