• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

PREACHER Casting Direction

----------------------

According to Superherohype, Jesse Custer's gun-toting girlfriend Tulip O'Hare is to "receive a change to her ethnicity", and will be played by an African American actress.

----------------------

The pilot was written by Sam Catlin (Breaking Bad) and has Rogen and Goldberg attached to direct.

----------------------

:facepalm:

Seth, Sam, Goldberg....... please don't mess with this story too much. Don't try to put too much of your "special sauce" on it. It's a great story, just go with it.

Edited by gadzukes

Howard Stark to play Jesse Custer?

-------------------

We'll have to treat this one as a rumor until we get something more solid, but according to The Tracking Board, Dominic Cooper is the man AMC want for their Preacher pilot, which is currently being developed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. They specify that no offers have been made yet, but that the Agent Carter actor is wanted for the lead role of Jesse Custer -- a small-town preacher possessed by an all-powerful entity known as Genesis. The only other tidbit of casting information we've had about this show so far, is that they're apparently looking for an African American actress to play Jesse's gun-toting girlfriend Tulip.

-------------------

-------------------

We'll have to treat this one as a rumor until we get something more solid, but according to The Tracking Board, Dominic Cooper is the man AMC want for their Preacher pilot, which is currently being developed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. They specify that no offers have been made yet, but that the Agent Carter actor is wanted for the lead role of Jesse Custer -- a small-town preacher possessed by an all-powerful entity known as Genesis. The only other tidbit of casting information we've had about this show so far, is that they're apparently looking for an African American actress to play Jesse's gun-toting girlfriend Tulip.

-------------------

Sighhhhh. A black Tulip who grew up learning how to hunt and shoot guns from her Irish father?

Barf. Ethnically sensitive revisionist casting is the bane of comic book entertainment. I'm not a fan of Dominic Cooper either - I'd much rather see an unknown for Jesse Custer, but I could live with that. Changing around Tulip's backstory simply because they want to "ethnicize" it is really pointless.

Someone please tell Seth Rogen to save the black heroine female lead for when they get around to casting YTLM, where it actually works.

This guy would have crushed it.

preacher.jpg

Man... Now you've said it. There is NO other choice in my mind... Would have totally killed the role. The show is ruined now due to lack of casting.... Damn.

-------------------

-------------------

Sighhhhh. A black Tulip who grew up learning how to hunt and shoot guns from her Irish father?

Barf. Ethnically sensitive revisionist casting is the bane of comic book entertainment. I'm not a fan of Dominic Cooper either - I'd much rather see an unknown for Jesse Custer, but I could live with that. Changing around Tulip's backstory simply because they want to "ethnicize" it is really pointless.

Someone please tell Seth Rogen to save the black heroine female lead for when they get around to casting YTLM, where it actually works.

Wait until the world gets around to telling us all superheroes should be homely and fat. I CANT WAIT FOR THAT!!!

At least it wasn't sold to ABC, who dropped the contract and made a show called Pastor, that follows a holy man possessed by an entity named 'entity'. Clearly a unique idea thought up by THEIR writers.

There are black Irish people though ;) Like Ruth Negga, she would be an awesome Tulip imho:

tumblr_nk6v96ibUK1u2d8svo1_500.png

There are black Irish people though ;) Like Ruth Negga, she would be an awesome Tulip imho:

I wonder if she's tied to Marvel via a contract on playing comic characters? Similar to the Wonder Woman/Lady Sif conversations from late last year?

The dialogue, demeanor and general attitude of Jesse Custer's family in Angelville would be very different should they decide to use a black Tulip. Remember, this is a fringe group from the old South - and they would obviously have issues with Jesse being involved in a mixed relationship, which would create dialogue that takes away from the original dialogue that stands strong on it's own.

And Tulip's father, and his desire to make sure Tulip was treated equally because she was a girl is an important motive behind her personality. Being treated equally because she is a black girl either waters down the women's equality aspect of his motivations, or it takes a backseat to perceived racism towards her color - not the fact she's a girl. This is a HUGE factor throughout the entire story. Tulip does not like to be treated like a girl, which Jesse does several time at important points in the story. Take that away and replace it with perceived prejudice, and you lose an important aspect of her character.

These are the things that producers don't seem to understand about consistency and sticking to the story. While it may seem as *nitpicking* by some, it actually illustrates that adding elements that don't need to be there - simply to make ethnic concessions - causes major elements of the story to stray from the original material. And I think most people can agree that the original material is fine the way it is.

Rather than hate the people in Angelville for being who they are, they will likely be branded as racists, which is a current popular lowest-common-denominator trend in entertainment - and that changes the story. If the -script stays as it is and ignores what these rednecks' tendencies towards mixed relationship would be - that becomes an obvious oversight, which may not change the dialogue, but strikes at the logic of the story.

I'm 100% positive that down the line in this discussion the people who think it's no big deal will spin it around to make people who are against it appear racist - but that is not, will not, and never be the point. The point is that that particular casting choice is not needed and is likely be made out of White Guilt, while completely ignoring the logical reasoning for leaving it as is - and no one in entertainment will ever stand up to that notion because it risks branding them as racist. I have no idea if they want to work in a racist angle or not - but I personally think it's just not needed for Tulip's character. If they choose to leave any and all Tulip-directed racism, I applaud them for that - but find that it will cause some issues in the story.

Anyways. I've read Preacher through and through at least 30 times in my life. I think the story is fine the way it is, and I'll probably continue to be one of "those guys" who hammers on casting choices. lol

My biggest concern for Preacher was, and still is, the inevitable dilution of the story that will have to take place to get it to air.

If it is watered too much - will it still be Preacher?

There is a certain vocal society of America that will be foaming at the mouth if this got made as originally written. That kind of pressure is hard for a TV channel to ignore.

I have grave doubts this will ever air. At least not in a way that stays remotely true to the original tale.

and then she was....

The more I hear Seth Rogen talk about Preacher in interviews the more I think this show is going to suck. He comes off like such a m oron.

AMC got the rights to 2 shows that have no business being broadcasted on a PG-13 cable station.

TWD TV show has made me sell my entire WD collection because of how boring it is.

I think many would say the opposite about AMC's Walking Dead. I think this season's opening, even being one of the lowest, exceeded 7 million viewers.

But I am in a 'wait and see' state right now on Preacher. I do hope for the best.

and then she was....

I think I'm onboard with this casting. She's good! She's got an "it" factor.

and then she was....

I think I'm onboard with this casting. She's good! She's got an "it" factor.

+ 1

:applause:

Is anyone nervous at all that all this hype and then the pilot will be shot down by AMC after all is said and done?

It's possible, sure.

I think AMC is keen on finding a heavy hitter to replace Madmen when it ends later this year.

And this Preacher deal has some Hollywood muscle behind it.

It seems like the current prognosis for it would be good, but who knows... they could make a turd and get shot down.

Is anyone nervous at all that all this hype and then the pilot will be shot down by AMC after all is said and done?

It's possible, sure.

I think AMC is keen on finding a heavy hitter to replace Madmen when it ends later this year.

And this Preacher deal has some Hollywood muscle behind it.

It seems like the current prognosis for it would be good, but who knows... they could make a turd and get shot down.

Again, better chances than if ABC had it. Would be called Pastor and no rights would be paid.