• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Low Grade POS Restored book from the StupidKid Collection

20 posts in this topic

Just so you don't think that everything is a high-grade gem, here is

a picture of one of the favorite books in my collection.

It came from a bound volume, so it's trimmed, has needle holes along the spine,

and a few spots of color touch along the spine - so it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on.

BUT, I think it's one of the all-time classic covers (even though there are no half-naked women in bondage on the cover) - if this isn't a top ten classic cover, I don't know what is. Nothing like my man Futuro taking Hitler to Hell.

hitler.jpg

I love covers that have Nazi/KKK getting their buts kicked and that's a great one. The only covers I like more are the ones with......well.......er.......half-naked women in bondage on them. grin.gif

It is definitely NOT a Lou Fine cover, but one of his many imitators - maybe that's why it doesn't have that big name recognition of some of the other "classic" covers - it's not by Fine, Schomburg, Ray, Cole or one of those guys. Just a hack trying to make a living.

Also, as I'm seating here reading the story again tonight, I definitely think this book should get honors as first Supernatural comic before Eerie #1. I can't think of anything earlier that actually deals with Hell, Satan, demons and such. The story is goofy (maybe I'll try to take photos of some pages later), Futuro takes Hitler to Hell, and Satan plans to attack Hitler because he's worried he'll try to take over, but then they end up teaming up to try and learn Futuro's seceret powers of time and space. There is even one scene that almost predicts the future - it shows when Futuro is about to capture Hitler that Hitler considers commiting suicide.

It might not be Suspense #3, but it's only about 15% of the price also.

Just seems way too cheap for such an awesome book (and it's really tough to find, too)

OG: The Ebay section from the site map is:

Books: Antiquarian & Collectible: Pulps.

I collect pulps for no other reason than the covers. I have a full set of Amazings from #1, 1926 to 1940 (a Science Fiction Pulp featuring MANY covers and interior drawings of Frank R. Paul, the Marvel Comics 1 and Superworld cover artist). Many of the finest artists, the "fathers" of Golden Age comic art in the 30s and 40s (Fine, Hogarth, Foster, Everett, Schomberg, Kirby, O'Melia, Guardineer, etc.) were heavily influenced by Paul, Howard Brown, and Moray. 1920's and 1930s Pulp artists whose work was featured on the covers of Horror and Sci-fi Pulps.

BEAUTIFUL HKP!!! No tape and extremely CLEAN!! A fantastic Frank R.Paul cover! There was just a full run of these offered on Ebay, as single issues, but in non-attractive condition. This one's a beauty! I've been pretty much able to put together a FN or better run of the first 15 years of this title over the past 3 years, except for the first issue (mine has a taped spine) and the 1927 Annual 1 (mine has detached covers). The 1927 annual seems to me to be akin to trying to find a "nice" copy of either the Marvel Mystery or Captain A. 128 pg. Annuals!! I was extremely fortunate to win a large group of these Amazings at auction that were from a find (of Mile high type quality)! Incredibly, the ones from that find sported off-white to white pages!!!!!

Gotta love those AS covers. It's nice to know that some people on this forum collect pulps which, to me, are soooooo undervalued. That's good for me though since it allows me to consistantly upgrade my collection. I only buy AS before 1930 unless it's a nice looking quarterly.

Hammer: Check out my profile you will see that the AS #1 that you have is my "Holy Grail"....in decent condition though....

Once someone starts certifying these, history is going to repeat itself.

Whew...certifying these babies would be a nightmare for CGC. They would have to set up a unique criteria since there are soooo many things that are inherantly wrong with just the quality of paper, to begin with. I am sure ,as it stands now, there would be a ton of "Qualified" books that state "Apparent {condition here} due to worm holes". shocked.gif