• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age books that don't turn you on

138 posts in this topic

In this thread, there of course can be no consensus.

For every title that some one derides, others will defend it.

For me, I like them all. I have never actively disliked any title, any genre, any publisher.

Are you a politician?

Blackhawk is a title which lasted an incredible number of years – you cannot generalize. If you say you find dull some Silver Age run, I may agree, but you have got to read the original stories. ;)

As Crimebuster said, it has also probably been effectively revitalized in the 1980s, and again we are not speaking of Silver Age.

Blackhawk, Wonder Woman, any war series, and The Avengers, to name a few. Those have never appealed to me. Although I do have a few Avengers, just for speculation and investment purposes.

The Blackawk are interesting precisely because they were created during a time of war. The generic label "War" is often applied to series which represent reflections on war, but are detached from the real war events. Blackhawk, on the contrary, was very original (as was Airboy), and not strictly a "war comic".

Especially amazing are also some backup features of the Golden Age books, like the Death Patrol. :)

rieovb.jpg

dp01.jpg

For me, I like them all. I have never actively disliked any title, any genre, any publisher.

Are you a politician?

It's called: loving comic books. (thumbs u

Hello, fellow omnivore!

(thumbs u

Hello, fellow omnivore!

(thumbs u

Hello, catrick :hi:

:)

Anyone who just says DC or Marvel is just being silly, there are excellent books by both.

+100

Absolutely. To write off one of the big 2, just because you prefer the other one is a bit OTT.

Since I have generalized too much about DC, I’d stress I was referring to 1960s issues, because of the similarity between the covers, and the predictability of some layout/artwork, but of course one need to know the stories.

What I like about Golden Age is that it actually allows you to put into perspective the history of comic book comics, which is somewhat separated from the syndicated strips which made the medium great, and also heavily influenced local productions abroad.

Often the GA Comic Books production is mostly unknown outside USA, and it’s awesome to discover. Silver is a lot more known. :)

Sea Devils has some of the best covers of the 60s. Not sure about the content, but the covers rock...

Yeah, the problem is the content, because people often know little or nothing about it.

I would have never imagined myself appreciating war-themed comics, but certain 1940s titles made me realize everything requires a learning curve.

Heck, I just bought an Atlas western because I loved the cover! :)