• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age books that don't turn you on

138 posts in this topic

I love silver age comic books, but there are various titles that I have never collected, read or ever intend to, because they have simple never appealed to me.

Does anyone else feel the same? This is not meant to diss on anyone's collecting interests. Just interested if people have titles they would not touch for whatever reason. Artists/stories/covers or just never fancied.

A title that has never appealed to me in any way is BLACKHAWK. Another is WONDER WOMAN. Another is AQUAMAN. I've never owned or read one of these books.

I also would put CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN into that category. For clarity I'm talking about the silver age up about 1963 ish. I guess the reason for me is that the covers on these titles never grabbed me. On the other hand I love most of the covers on certain non mainstream titles like STRANGE ADVENTURES, HOUSE OF MYSTERY, HOUSE OF SECRETS, TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED and MY GREATEST ADVENTURE.

I would say any DC titles from the 1960s, very likely it’s a strong detractor that I have never read them, but I also find most of the covers (with exceptions, of course), to be all similar.

Re: Blackhawk: That’s just because you did not start in the "right" timeline… (:

EjZAf2ih.jpg

YGcE7tPh.jpg

I agree with what has been said so far. Blachawk is a title that has never ever interested me. A friend of mine left a few issues around my house once and I made him come and get them. I also think Strange Adventures is one of the best DC titles with the best covers.

lol

DC: RIP Hunter, Sea Devils, Doom Patrol, Inferior 5, Plastic Man, Blackhawk, Showcase, early Brave & the Bold, The Atom, Aquaman, Hawkman

Harvey: Little Audrey, Little Lotta, Spooky, Sad Sack, Stumbo

Marvel: Fantastic Four, Avengers, Silver Surfer

Archie: the Archie gang as super heroes stories, The Shadow

Gold Key: Just wish the overall artwork on many titles could have been better.

Warren: various artists on various titles - again, the overall artwork could have been much stronger on titles after significant drop-off in quality from the first few years

I love silver age comic books, but there are various titles that I have never collected, read or ever intend to, because they have simple never appealed to me.

Does anyone else feel the same? This is not meant to diss on anyone's collecting interests. Just interested if people have titles they would not touch for whatever reason. Artists/stories/covers or just never fancied.

A title that has never appealed to me in any way is BLACKHAWK. Another is WONDER WOMAN. Another is AQUAMAN. I've never owned or read one of these books.

I would venture to guess Blackhawk collectors, these days, would be an extreme minority. So you're probably not alone on that front.

DC: RIP Hunter, Sea Devils, Doom Patrol, Inferior 5, Plastic Man, Blackhawk, Showcase, early Brave & the Bold, The Atom, Aquaman, Hawkman

Harvey: Little Audrey, Little Lotta, Spooky, Sad Sack, Stumbo

Marvel: Fantastic Four, Avengers, Silver Surfer

Archie: the Archie gang as super heroes stories, The Shadow

Gold Key: Just wish the overall artwork on many titles could have been better.

Warren: various artists on various titles - again, the overall artwork could have been much stronger on titles after significant drop-off in quality from the first few years

I draw the line at disparaging the Doom Patrol. (tsk)

I'm an omnivore.

I've read at various times in my life, ALL of the titles mentioned above.

And enjoyed most of them. I'll admit that nowadays most Weisenger edited titles from DC don't do much for me, and I prefer GA Blackhawk stories to SA, especially after they injected some superhero stuff into the series.

But to turn your nose up at entire titles? Sorry, can't do it.

It's ALL good.

I would add Classics Illustrated to the list, but they did save me on some literature homework ("book reports" actually) in junior high and high school. So, as much as I disliked them, they did come in handy. (thumbs u

I'm an omnivore.

And enjoyed most of them. I'll admit that nowadays most Weisenger edited titles from DC don't do much for me, and I prefer GA Blackhawk stories to SA, especially after they injected some superhero stuff into the series.

It's ALL good.

Of course you can...If you don't like team books, then its easy to get your reading enjoyment from Spider-Man rather than the Avengers. If you like team books, but don't like a specific art team, you may find the title unreadable - - - think Justice League by Sekowsky (and later, Dillon). Or Three Mouseketeers by DC because you happen to dislike the funny animal genre.

I'm an omnivore.

It's ALL good.

Only after you've run out of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier titles and are desperate to read something, anything really, does it become ALL good, as you say.

Another title/character that I could not get excited about in any way was HAWKMAN.

Although the re-invention of the series in the HAWKWORLD 3 book mini-series of 1989, I thought was excellent. I think these stories are the epitome of the modern comic sophisticated storyline.