• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age books that don't turn you on

138 posts in this topic

I always hated the Metal Men. Stories and art, no matter who did them, we're always so lame to me.

Agreed. The Metal Men were pointless.

I have never read them, but always found them quite intriguing, although I am more attracted by the Doom Patrol… :)

I haven't read a DP book for a good number of years, but I remember I thought they were pretty decent. I read some Metal Men books last year, and I thought they were quite poor. Not DC's finest hour story wise.

I am really pretty much ignorant about SA and BA DC, the only books I have in my collection are Kirby’s Fourth World, Simon’s Brother Power and Prez, and a pair of Flash books. The Doom Patrol was drawn by Bruno Premiani, which still had his older brother living here in Italy, and a friend of mine managed to track him down and interview him some ten years ago.

He was a bit reluctant but then accepted his visits and I think the interview is more or less unpublished. hm

lol I forgot I had even posted in this thread. I guess I forgot because these threads always turn into a bunch of spineless jellyfishes saying "but ALL comics have some redeeming value, how can you say so-and-so comic/artist is horrible?" But I am pleasantly surprised, it didn't get that wimpy (except for maybe the Jesus freak). Glad to see some of you guys actually have some balls!

And Nick Cardy is way overrated.

lol I forgot I had even posted in this thread. I guess I forgot because these threads always turn into a bunch of spineless jellyfishes saying "but ALL comics have some redeeming value, how can you say so-and-so comic/artist is horrible?" But I am pleasantly surprised, it didn't get that wimpy (except for maybe the Jesus freak). Glad to see some of you guys actually have some balls!

And Nick Cardy is way overrated.

I don’t know what you are talking about, but they surely look like abstute observations. (thumbs u

Another title/character that I could not get excited about in any way was HAWKMAN.

Although the re-invention of the series in the HAWKWORLD 3 book mini-series of 1989, I thought was excellent. I think these stories are the epitome of the modern comic sophisticated storyline.

I'm not sure if this is the case - and I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth - but is the lack of interest in these Silver Age titles because they're being compared to Modern comics writing and art? The above comment kind of gives me that impression, but that may not be what he was actually trying to convey.

When I was collecting as a teenager I used to feel that way about Silver. The writing wasn't as serious as Miller or Moore, the art wasn't as detailed like Lee or McFarlane.

I think I began to appreciate Silver more when I learned to take it in context - the time it was published and the audience it was aimed at. The stories can sometimes be, at best, fanciful, and sometimes down right silly. But they also have a simplicity and charm that can be very refreshing.

Also, I think appreciating the art involves comparing it to what was standard at the time. Nick Cardy's art may not seem like anything special now, but compared to, say, Bob Powell, it looks pretty good. While liking art by a particular artist is often a matter of personal taste, I've come to appreciate that most Silver artists are very good at conveying story through their art.

Having said all that, I think I'd have to add my name to the list of those who aren't interested in Blackhawk. I'm not interested in war comics in general, but I could see myself giving something like Sgt. Rock a shot. But Blackhawk just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't think I'd be much interested in Harvey titles either. I actually had a few when I was a kid, but I couldn't pick them out of a line-up now if my life depended on it.

Not saying either of these are bad, I can see why they might be of interest to others.

I'm not sure if this is the case - and I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth - but is the lack of interest in these Silver Age titles because they're being compared to Modern comics writing and art? The above comment kind of gives me that impression, but that may not be what he was actually trying to convey.

When I was collecting as a teenager I used to feel that way about Silver. The writing wasn't as serious as Miller or Moore, the art wasn't as detailed like Lee or McFarlane.

I think I began to appreciate Silver more when I learned to take it in context - the time it was published and the audience it was aimed at. The stories can sometimes be, at best, fanciful, and sometimes down right silly. But they also have a simplicity and charm that can be very refreshing.

Also, I think appreciating the art involves comparing it to what was standard at the time. Nick Cardy's art may not seem like anything special now, but compared to, say, Bob Powell, it looks pretty good. While liking art by a particular artist is often a matter of personal taste, I've come to appreciate that most Silver artists are very good at conveying story through their art.

Having said all that, I think I'd have to add my name to the list of those who aren't interested in Blackhawk. I'm not interested in war comics in general, but I could see myself giving something like Sgt. Rock a shot. But Blackhawk just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't think I'd be much interested in Harvey titles either. I actually had a few when I was a kid, but I couldn't pick them out of a line-up now if my life depended on it.

Not saying either of these are bad, I can see why they might be of interest to others.

For me the lack of interest in a title like Metal Men is primarily because I can't stand the characters or the concept. I love Flash and Spider-Man and many other characters but, like you said, their stories from the 60s tended to be pretty light and silly too, just a part of the times and a stage in the evolution of comics.

I enjoy the silly stories of Flash and Spider-Man from those days because I like the characters so much and the concept of being able to do superhuman feats like they could captured my imagination. A bunch of doofus robots that could only accidentally accomplish anything just did not work for me.

The Silver Age Dell Superheroes title, along with the Dell superhero Dracula and Werewolf titles, weren't very good. Uninspired art driven by nonsensical stories made these books unreadable for me.

Dracula_InsaneOrigins-thumb-300x340_zps33dcfcdb.jpg

The Captain Marvel that "Split!" , from a publisher I can't remember, is the low point in Carl Burgos' career, IMO.

It was beyond goofy; even as a ten year old boy I knew this title was too silly to waste my 25¢ on.

It cost a quarter, when I could get a Kirby book for 12¢ !

cap2pg_zps71e73df5.jpg

I always hated the Metal Men. Stories and art, no matter who did them, we're always so lame to me.

Agreed. The Metal Men were pointless.

I read some Metal Men books last year, and I thought they were quite poor. Not DC's finest hour story wise.

Poor Tina(Platinum). She got no love from Doc Magnus during the title's run and she still doesn't get any love from comic fans/collectors these days.

17-05-201183728PM.jpg

17-05-201183740PM.jpg

16-06-2011101243PM.jpg

20-09-201184014PM.jpg

17-03-201390001PM_zpsac17bd1d.jpg

001_zpsd4fd3dff.jpg

Perhaps if he'd designed her to be anatomically correct....

(shrug)

I have never liked most DC silver age books. I found the covers/ stories had far to many "cheezy" things like watch Super-man do the Krypton shuffle "ya ya ya" :P

Or the Batman cover with the dead Beatle. Just did not care.

That said there are plenty of Marvel covers just like them.