• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Star Comics
2 2

100 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2022 at 12:03 AM, Legion HQ said:

As non-1st issue, non Star Wars, non Thundercats Star Comics go Census population is normal possibly even slightly higher than normal.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Heathcliff 12 (11/86, Marvel Comics) Universal 15 9.06     4 3 3 1 1 1   1       1                    

Why oh Why is Hugga Bunch not at the Heathcliff level :cry: .  I've sold maybe 12-15 comics in total over the last 25 years but I'd definitely take that kind of cash for Hugga 6 (last issue and only graded copy)

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/31/2022 at 9:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

As non-1st issue, non Star Wars, non Thundercats Star Comics go Census population is normal possibly even slightly higher than normal.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Heathcliff 12 (11/86, Marvel Comics) Universal 15 9.06     4 3 3 1 1 1   1       1                    

Why oh Why is Hugga Bunch not at the Heathcliff level :cry: .  I've sold maybe 12-15 comics in total over the last 25 years but I'd definitely take that kind of cash for Hugga 6 (last issue and only graded copy)

Love last issues. I was eyeing that last issue of the Droid series in the auction last night. Hugga will come around eventually! :foryou:  I'm actually constantly surprised by the prices some Star Comics receive. Granted, they're often 1st issues like you said. Like the Madballs 1 that sold for nearly $800 last week. :ohnoez:    All issues of Masters Of The Universe and Peter Porker are pretty popular as well.

As for Heathcliff 12, I think all of the Marvel 25th Anniversary frame covers in the Star line are going to continue to increase in popularity. That H12 shocked me last night though. I thought I had a strong shot of getting it with my $257 bid. Turns out, I didn't even get halfway there!

Also, some random covers can become popular such as Heathcliff 47 and Care Bears 13.

Edited by Legion HQ

On 3/31/2022 at 9:55 AM, Legion HQ said:

Love last issues. I was eyeing that last issue of the Droid series in the auction last night. Hugga will come around eventually! :foryou:  I'm actually constantly surprised by the prices some Star Comics receive. Granted, they're often 1st issues like you said. Like the Madballs 1 that sold for nearly $800 last week. :ohnoez:    All issues of Masters Of The Universe and Peter Porker are pretty popular as well.

As for Heathcliff 12, I think all of the Marvel 25th Anniversary frame covers in the Star line are going to continue to increase in popularity. That H12 shocked me last night though. I thought I had a strong shot of getting it with my $257 bid. Turns out, I didn't even get halfway there!

Also, some random covers can become popular such as Heathcliff 47 and Care Bears 13.

I definitely think the 25th Anniversary frame books are likely to stand up better than other books in their runs, all else being equal, so it doesn't surprise me to see H12 outperform Heathcliff in general. Although I... don't think I would have expected one to go for that much.

On 3/10/2022 at 7:50 PM, djzombi said:

...oddball titles (not to be confused with Madballs) had a print run as low as 3,000.  Three thousand!  For a Marvel comic in the '80s!  For upper management to let things still be published with thatFor a Marvel comic in the '80s!  For upper management to let things still be published with that low a run when other titles were getting the axe for dropping to 100k, the line must have been somebody's pet project.

Contractual obligations?

On 3/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, Legion HQ said:

Love last issues. I was eyeing that last issue of the Droid series in the auction last night. 

I loooooove last issues!  Last week I got the last issues of Barbie AND Barbie Fashion (newsstand!!) for $1.50 each at my LCS, mid-grade.  I was happy as a clam.  

On 4/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, djzombi said:

I loooooove last issues! 

I do like them when the Editor and creative teams know in advance. That way loose ends are tied up.

She-Hulk 25 is one of my favorite last issues, the corner box is "classic"

image.png.1a518fb4b183a46a2c7d8c769e9c8085.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 3/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, Qalyar said:

And since they're unquestionably kidlit titles, average condition of surviving copies skews, um, lower. And add to that, a truly comprehensive collection of Star books might well include both direct market and newsstand copies. I am 100% certain that there are Star books I have never physically seen as newsstands (but then, there are Star books I have never physically seen at all -- Visionaries #6 comes to mind.

Plus, CPVs! Star could easily be harder to hunt down than many better-known options, but with absolutely none of the resale value!

Took me years to find a Peter Porker 5 CPV to complete my run of 1-9 CPVs. It’s fun to collect them even though there is little to no demand for most titles. Foofur is no ASM. Lol 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

I do like them when the Editor and creative teams know in advance. That way loose ends are tied up.

She-Hulk 25 is one of my favorite last issues, the corner box is "classic"

image.png.1a518fb4b183a46a2c7d8c769e9c8085.png

The Barbie final issue is "hilarious" in that there's actually an ad to SUBSCRIBE to the title, and the letters page asks readers to write in and be published in future letter columns!  
OOPS

Read tons of star comics when i was younger. Thundercats, alf, planet terry, heathcliff, etc.

Planet terry returned in drax the destroyer was a great surprise.

Is planet terry and alf Annuel 1 the only canon star comics? 

vintage_09_content_330_full.jpg