• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Piece do you get inquiries on the most?

31 posts in this topic

Now I don't have a museum quality CAF like Mandel or Roberts, not even in the same universe. Still from time to time I get an Inquiry on the availability of a piece in my CAF. Almost all of them are really nice, 'hey love the piece curious if its for sale,' or the every famous 'let me know if you are ever interested in parting with it.'

The odd thing for me is that its not the piece that I would expect and it is overwhelmingly one piece, acquired a few years ago at open auction, not a lot of bidding if I recall. Its my Batman 461 Cover by Norm Breyfogle and has accounted for like 80% of the inquiries I have gotten on CAF, which is saying a lot given that it was acquired like 4 years after I opened my account. Sometimes it just strikes me as odd, its not the most expensive piece I own by a long shot but consistently gets the most press. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy to own it and have no intention of selling, but it just seems odd how out of proportion the inquires on that piece are.

Anyway just curious if others get a lot of traffic on a piece that makes them go hm

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the US.

I've pulled pieces from CAF or hidden them in the past when offers for them have become a nuisance.

One oddity...

About a year ago I was selling a couple pieces in my CAF via a special room I had set p to do so. The pieces were clearly marked in the titles, and there were prices and sales information for each. But I discovered selling anything in my CAF unexpectedly invites the sharks to circle, hoping the is blood in the water, because the day those pieces went up for sale, I had no fewer than 10 to buy pieces that were all clearly marked NFS. Eventually the number of offers it pushed me to changing my CAF, so that I am not selling stuff via CAF, and only ever showing a small handful of pieces rather than a significant portion of my collection.

Most people are very nice, and I can simply say something is not for sale. I even occasionally tell people that I will save their info so that if I ever did decide to let a piece go, I would be willing to contact them down the road. I've actually bought pieces from people that I expressed interest in years prior, because they did the same, and I've sold a couple that way as well. I think that is actually a cool side effect of CAF.

Less and oddity and more stalkerish...

But there have been a select few that, after the politeness has come and gone on their end, have driven me insane. I had one collector contact me a few years ago about a piece I had up. He said he really wanted to buy it, and I let him know that I had owned that piece for 15 years, and didn't have any intentions of selling it. Told him I was glad he liked it, and wished him luck in finding more pieces by that artist. He wrote me back a nice message about what he was into collecting, and asked what kinds of other art I collected that wasn't on my CAF. This is where I have made some very lasting collecting friendships over the years, and one of my favorite side effects of CAF. But in this instance things took a turn, because I made the mistake of letting the guy know that I had a couple covers by an artist on a certain title, when listing some of the names of artists I owned art by. I never said what actual covers they were or how many, just that I had some.

He immediately asked for scans, if I would sell them, if I had any other pages from the run, etc and so on. I think I got 10 emails that first day alone. Then the drifted into weekly, and then into monthly. At first they were pleading and begging for me to sell, or at least send him pictures of them all. Throughout I was at first amused and flattered. I looked at the guy's gallery and noticed he was a fairly new collector, but was very quickly amassing a body of this artist's work. Buying up pieces that I had seen languishing in for sale sections of dealer sites for years, but also prying primo pieces away from other long term collectors, that I know have had them for years and years. I can only assume using the same desperate CAF messages he was sending to me. And we aren't talking key character title/book/artist stuff here. It is a fairly niche series.

At a certain point his fandom started to feel like entitlement. His rhetoric was reaching a point where he seemed to be insinuating he was the artists greatest fan, he loved that title more than anyone ever would, etc. And while I had originally respected his enthusiasm, to me he is another Johnny come lately, with more money than manners, and it quickly felt like he had ceased to respect my wishes. So now when I see his repeated demands that I tell him exactly what pieces I have, that I at least owe him a look so he can confirm certain things about my pieces for himself, requests for scans of them, etc... I just hit a point a year or so ago where if I see a message from him now, I hit the delete button. I don't even open them any more.

Is it possible to block certain CAF members from being able to contact us? If so, it'd be a useful tool for me to know about.

The odd thing for me is that its not the piece that I would expect and it is overwhelmingly one piece, acquired a few years ago at open auction, not a lot of bidding if I recall. Its my Batman 461 Cover by Norm Breyfogle and has accounted for like 80% of the inquiries I have gotten on CAF, which is saying a lot given that it was acquired like 4 years after I opened my account.

It's a nice cover and smack in the middle of the era which is riding the current nostalgia wave... it's also a great example of the more fantastical and bat-like way he expresses the character. Definitely made him more of a shadowy super hero at times and less of a man when I read it the first time around. His run with Grant was the Batman of my childhood. Ok, so Breyfogle covers haven't always set the auctions on fire but there's a lot of love for what he did in those 6 years.

Congrats on owning it BTW ;)

The odd thing for me is that its not the piece that I would expect and it is overwhelmingly one piece, acquired a few years ago at open auction, not a lot of bidding if I recall. Its my Batman 461 Cover by Norm Breyfogle and has accounted for like 80% of the inquiries I have gotten on CAF, which is saying a lot given that it was acquired like 4 years after I opened my account.

Looking at your artwork, Jason, I would think you would get more inquiries about your George Perez pieces.

But since you have multiple covers and pages by him they probably assume that he is your favorite artist and it would be pointless to inquire about those.

Thus they try for something they think is reasonably obtainable.

Anyway, the piece that I get the most inquiries on is pretty obvious. It is the Arthur Adams recreation of The Incredible Hulk #181 cover.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=40992

I can't recall any inquiries except for one on a Giordano GA head sketch (convention style). There was a comment posted on the piece, but when I replaced that with a different Giordano piece and contacted the poster, his interest had changed. I later sold the piece.

That's about it.

For me it has been this piece or my Flash 255 cover. I actually pulled the flash cover because I had someone basically demanding I sell it to them and they were willing to offer 1/10 what I paid. I have several people inquiring on the Captain America cover but nothing annoying.

captainamerica292.jpg

Mine is the cover to Snake Eyes #5 from IDW. And it's pretty much from the same guy every few months. His offer keeps getting higher, and it's well over what i paid, but i have no real interest in selling it at all.

I don't mind when people politely inquire and take the no answer for what it is. Lord knows i've made a few polite inquiries of my own as there are a handful of pieces out there on CAF i'd love to add to my collection too.

Mine are kind of spread out and never over zealous. I used to get a lot of offers for my Black Orchid #1 cover, until I got an offer I couldn't say "no" to. I loved that piece, but replaced it with an Arkham Asylum page, which I have gotten a couple offers for, but nothing annoying. I would say I've sold 6 or 7 NFS pieces from offers I got (that were generally between 2-5X what I paid) and I would also say I have received between 1-3 offers on 20 or so of my pieces of different ranges, but mainly just polite "Let me know if you ever consider selling". Some of those have come with price offers and others not. I'm generally open to at least listening and I also appreciate the "Let me know when you want to sell" as I generally prefer to sell privately when the time does come.

I don't really get a ton of requests on my gallery (possibly because it's mostly newer stuff and pretty limited to one or two books that don't excited the average collector?), but the piece that seems to get the most interest is my cover to Y: The Last Man #26.

The published version is cropped in such a way that the original looks (in my opinion) far superior, which might be why it seems to generate more interest than some of the others.

Y: The Last Man 26 Cover

Thanks for the responses, Eric I think that is a really sad experience in that it stops others from being able to see and enjoy your art. Just my personal perspective but I have never taken anything down for that reason, I think I would just ignore the emails. My thought has always been, I didn't create the art, I enjoyed the art so I bought it and my act of purchase should not detract from others being able to enjoy it. Of course I've never had someone pursue a piece I own with a level of unfortunate zeal that others have encountered.

I've also made very few inquiries, I think that I should make more because there have been pieces that sold where I was kicking myself thinking, 'damn I didn't think that was for sale.' :pullhair:lol

As a few have echoed, some inquiries have started conversations that have led to really enjoyable discourse about OA and helped me learn a lot about the art and the market in general.

Looking at your artwork, Jason, I would think you would get more inquiries about your George Perez pieces.

But since you have multiple covers and pages by him they probably assume that he is your favorite artist and it would be pointless to inquire about those.

Thus they try for something they think is reasonably obtainable.

Anyway, the piece that I get the most inquiries on is pretty obvious. It is the Arthur Adams recreation of The Incredible Hulk #181 cover.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=40992

Thanks for posting because I had never seen your CAF before and there are some great pieces in there (thumbs u I LOVE the unpub Bob Burden piece that's a great one.

Oddly enough not a lot of Perez to buy inquires (it could be for the reason you mentioned - Doc Joe chiding me on the #12 Cover aside, my response is always, "well if you would let me win a few more auctions then I might need to sell lol). I do get a lot of are you interested in buying Perez piece XXX correspondence and I am of course grateful for every one of them :grin: