• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Piece do you get inquiries on the most?

31 posts in this topic

and have you guys noticed any difference overall in the volume of requests from a few years ago?

I get less requests now than then, but then again I've sold most of my B&W comic art and what I have left really isn't comic art so its not what people would be searching because its not mainsteam... so I'm not surprised.

But, I also find myself making considerably fewer requests about other people's art through CAF.

As a result it seems to me like the overall volume of buy/sell requests has reduced, but I'm not sure if that's an overall trend or just due to the changes in my own buying and selling patterns.

I wonder if the extra material being auctioned all the time has led collectors to spend less time mining CAF?

The pieces in my collection which gets the most inquiries are without any doubt the Preacher stuff by Steve Dillon. I don't mind people asking once, even though they are clearly stated NFS, but the second (and third) time it can get a little annoying. And because they are not only prized possesions but also has lots of fond memories from Comic-Con in the nineties attached to them I have no intention to ever part with them. I specifically asked Ennis & Dillon to sign them in such a way that they would be unattractive for other collectors. :/

Every once in a while someone asks about my Peter Gross pages from Books of Magic, but the same thing goes for them. And if it wasn't for dumb luck I wouldn't even own the one from issue #25 with the Death guest spot. I picked it up first thing Thursday morning from Scott Eder, and according to him it was overlooked by someone who had bought everything with Death from him the day before (this was when Wednesday used to be only for exhibitors). Scott actually pulled it out and showed it to me as soon as I stopped by, which I am very grateful for to this day. :grin:

I was rather surprised when someone asked if this sketch by J. Scott Cambell had a price on it. There is nothing unusual with it (I think) and he has has probably been grinding out dozens of similar ones... :eyeroll:

Historically, for me, it's been the Kirby page from the Silver Surfer: Ultimate Cosmic Experience book. Partially, like others, because it's been up for a while. And, like others, I've been known to pull a lot of my gallery pieces when inquiries become irritating or bothersome.

I did have to chuckle to myself though. Just after I'd gotten the Barry Smith Lorna Dane piece, I had a person email me to say, paraphrasing: "Congratulations! What a great piece! I see you say you won't sell it but never say never..." To me, this is like saying, "Nice job winning the lottery! Can I have the money?"

Now I don't have a museum quality CAF like Mandel or Roberts, not even in the same universe. Still from time to time I get an Inquiry on the availability of a piece in my CAF. Almost all of them are really nice, 'hey love the piece curious if its for sale,' or the every famous 'let me know if you are ever interested in parting with it.'

The odd thing for me is that its not the piece that I would expect and it is overwhelmingly one piece, acquired a few years ago at open auction, not a lot of bidding if I recall. Its my Batman 461 Cover by Norm Breyfogle and has accounted for like 80% of the inquiries I have gotten on CAF, which is saying a lot given that it was acquired like 4 years after I opened my account. Sometimes it just strikes me as odd, its not the most expensive piece I own by a long shot but consistently gets the most press. Don't get me wrong I'm really happy to own it and have no intention of selling, but it just seems odd how out of proportion the inquires on that piece are.

Anyway just curious if others get a lot of traffic on a piece that makes them go hm

Well, in my experience, a lot of that has to do with two main factors: Who the artist is and what characters/series the piece is about. For example, a John Byrne X-Men piece is likely to get a lot more people inquiring, than a Ron Garney X-Men piece will. Even if the Byrne piece is a panel page and the Garney one a splash or cover. It really just depends on that whole artist/character significance combo. People always seem to be on the lookout for nice examples of a specific artist on a somewhat signature creation.

As for what pieces I have that get the most inquiries, the two that have done so recently for me are my Rick Leonardi Cloak and Dagger page and my John Buscema Marvel Comic Presents page (featuring Wolverine). Both of which, I think play into the reasoning I stated above.

clandd4p18.jpg

mcp8pg4_zps7a1062b0.jpg

Most of the inquiries I get is for the stuff I've inked. Now, I don't think that's because it's the best stuff in my gallery. Far from it. But I think folks assume that I've got tons of Jim Lee, Dave Finch, J Scott Campbell or Marc Silvestri art that I've worked on over the years. so they figure that's stuff I'm most likely to move. Some of my absolute best pieces by Adams, Kirby, Buscema, Frazetta, Wrightson etc get almost zero inquires because most collectors assume it's black hole stuff, and to a certain extant they would be right. Kinda pricey too, which is also a deterrent I'd guess.

Scott

Most of the inquiries I get is for the stuff I've inked. Now, I don't think that's because it's the best stuff in my gallery. Far from it. But I think folks assume that I've got tons of Jim Lee, Dave Finch, J Scott Campbell or Marc Silvestri art that I've worked on over the years. so they figure that's stuff I'm most likely to move. Some of my absolute best pieces by Adams, Kirby, Buscema, Frazetta, Wrightson etc get almost zero inquires because most collectors assume it's black hole stuff, and to a certain extant they would be right. Kinda pricey too, which is also a deterrent I'd guess.

Scott

Ya I stare at the Sienkiewicz MK about once a month, but I like my car. I also stare at the Wrightson plate too but I like where my house down payment is right now. lol

Scott

I've sent some inquiries to Scott a few times about the same piece, but (paraphrasing) I think he told me the BWS Doctor Strange goes to the grave with him! But scientific understanding of black holes increases every day, and I think it is generally assumed stuff comes out the other end! So I have hope, black hole or not.