• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I be reading

55 posts in this topic

I buy most titles every month and have done for years, mostly bag, board put away.

I currently only read the WD, Revival, Saga, EOW, Bedlam.

What am I missing out on?

What should I be reading?

Whats so good about your recommendation?

Sell it to me brother :headbang:

Think Tank is going to go on a break after #12 next month. I recommend catching up before it's relaunched in color.

The storyline will continue, but they are trying something new format-wise to increase some less-than-desirable sales numbers.

Jupiter's Legacy is another caped winner that you can buy really cheap. It is a very well written, ultraviolent story in the same vein as The Authority. An absolute power kind of tale brought to you by a couple of The Authority volume 1 creators.

I'll second Afterlife with Archie. A+ Title

I also love:

East of West

Six Gun Gorilla

Ghosted

Superior Spider-Man

I'll third it.. can you third something ? lol

All of the above are very good to outstanding and Superior Spider-man falls into an unrestricted tale because it just hasn't been done before.

Sell it to you?

*coughs*

The Sixth Gun. Has 35 issues out so there is a lot to chew through and should complete on #50 so you will get a nice rounded tale that doesn't peter out or get cancelled. A real labour of love for Cullen Bunn (you probably know he has written for Oni and quite a bit for Marvel) and Brian Hurtt (started out with work on Queen and Country) who does some simply gorgeous artwork on this series. Some of his favorite artists include Guy Davis, Christophe Blaine, Jeff Smith, Sam Hiti, Alex Toth, Herge, and Milton Caniff. You can certainly see the Herge influence in the cartoony side of the art and there is also a touch of Darwyn Cooke in some of his female characters.

They both met and swapped ideas whilst they were working in different comic book stores of the same chain.

Solid "supernatural" Western that has characters with strong motivation, lovely split plot story telling that keeps it at a fast pace and also quite a deeply interwoven plot where you will be reading something 30 issues down the line and actually recall seeing it ages ago in the first issue. However, don't be fooled into thinking it's high brow, far from it. Action all the way and very character driven.

Disclaimer: The first arc was written to stand alone so after the first 6 issues you may feel that it has nowhere left to go because it ties up a lot of loose ends already. Persevere for the next couple of arcs and things atart to really pick up again.

Trailer:

http://vimeo.com/60272792

Is that a 352 page deluxe oversized hardcover behind that tiny comic that doesn't mess around when it comes to size and content for a reasonable price collecting the first eleven issues, including the pitch, additional artwork and a Christmas story that was previously web only?

BaGOGo3CQAAIBwd.jpg

Why yes... yes it is.

Edit:

Oh and I want to mention The Stuff of Legend. Beautiful art and a story that can only be described

...as "Toy Story" meets Speilberg's "Saving Private Ryan." Yeah, the toys are alive like "Toy Story" but the mission is dangerous and characters die along the journey. Plus the characters debate whether or not they can/should continue like in "Saving Private Ryan."

Excellent comic!

Has its roots firmly planted in the darker side of fairy tales, borrows from them heavily and is all the better for it. CPW3 is a "rockstar" with his pencils :P

Sell it to you?

*coughs*

The Sixth Gun. Has 35 issues out so there is a lot to chew through and should complete on #50 so you will get a nice rounded tale that doesn't peter out or get cancelled. A real labour of love for Cullen Bunn (you probably know he has written for Oni and quite a bit for Marvel) and Brian Hurtt (started out with work on Queen and Country) who does some simply gorgeous artwork on this series. Some of his favorite artists include Guy Davis, Christophe Blaine, Jeff Smith, Sam Hiti, Alex Toth, Herge, and Milton Caniff. You can certainly see the Herge influence in the cartoony side of the art and there is also a touch of Darwyn Cooke in some of his female characters.

They both met and swapped ideas whilst they were working in different comic book stores of the same chain.

Solid "supernatural" Western that has characters with strong motivation, lovely split plot story telling that keeps it at a fast pace and also quite a deeply interwoven plot where you will be reading something 30 issues down the line and actually recall seeing it ages ago in the first issue. However, don't be fooled into thinking it's high brow, far from it. Action all the way and very character driven.

Disclaimer: The first arc was written to stand alone so after the first 6 issues you may feel that it has nowhere left to go because it ties up a lot of loose ends already. Persevere for the next couple of arcs and things atart to really pick up again.

Trailer:

http://vimeo.com/60272792

Is that a 352 page deluxe oversized hardcover behind that tiny comic that doesn't mess around when it comes to size and content for a reasonable price collecting the first eleven issues, including the pitch, additional artwork and a Christmas story that was previously web only?

BaGOGo3CQAAIBwd.jpg

Why yes... yes it is.

Edit:

Oh and I want to mention The Stuff of Legend. Beautiful art and a story that can only be described

...as "Toy Story" meets Speilberg's "Saving Private Ryan." Yeah, the toys are alive like "Toy Story" but the mission is dangerous and characters die along the journey. Plus the characters debate whether or not they can/should continue like in "Saving Private Ryan."

Excellent comic!

Has its roots firmly planted in the darker side of fairy tales, borrows from them heavily and is all the better for it. CPW3 is a "rockstar" with his pencils :P

This +1

Forever Evil

Written by Geoff Johns. The Crime Syndicate has taken over Earth and wiped out the Justice League as its opening act. Now Luthor and his band of misfits are the only thing in their way of taking over the world.

Jupiters Legacy

So far in the early 1900s a group of individuals are granted godlike powers. Now their 3rd generation of the this group is coming to power and they suck. They are greedy, lazy, and power drunk. The old generation hates them and doesn't know what to do with them. Some of the old generation are tired of taking the same orders so they want a change.

Letter 44

A president begins his first term in office after an apparently dirty and hard fought election. As he comes to the office the old president refuses to meet with him and only leaves a letter. The contents of the letter stuns the new president and reveals to him a secret only known to a handful of people in the military and government. This secret it about to become the agenda for his presidency as it was the last president. Something is being built on the other side of Jupiter and it aint from earth. Only two issues in.

Manifest Destiny

Basically following the explorations of Lewis and Clark of the Louisiana Purchase. Quirky and thoughtful so far. Only one issue in.

Todd the Ugliest Kidd

This book isn't for everyone. In fact unless you have a warped sense of humor or able to laugh at political correctness you might want to pass. This book is about a kid who sees the world thru "rose colored glasses." He is Charlie Brown for adults in my opinion.

Injustice

First 7 issues are just textbook on how to write a good superhero book. Superman decides he can no longer protect Earth unless he runs it for the most part. Several deaths in the first few issues make this decision for him. A great conversation between Superman and Flash at super speed about taking over the world is one of the highlights. This one stars everyone including so far all of JLA and some JSA members. The only knock is the art in some issues.

If you have the full run of Y: The Last Man in your many long boxes you definitely cannot go wrong with that.

Mind MGMT, Peter Panzerfaust make good reads as well.

Honestly... You can't go wrong with anything that has been suggested in this thread thus far.

All good so far guys, I did start reading Y the last man, think I read about 10 issues and meant to go back but got side tracked :(

The only books that I havent got so far are Letter 44 & Manifest Destiny, I will pick these up next chance (thumbs u

Keep it coming ;)

Current books?

Mind MGMT - when you hear "the best thing to happen to comics in years" it's usually hyperbole. In this case it's actually true. It's that good and there is nothing else like it. Also, it's Matt Kindt.

Rachel Rising - it's Terry Moore.

Trillium - it's Jeff Lemire.

Those 3 guys are geniuses of comic books.

Mind MGMT - when you hear "the best thing to happen to comics in years" it's usually hyperbole. In this case it's actually true. It's that good and there is nothing else like it. Also, it's Matt Kindt.

+1

Current books?

Rachel Rising - it's Terry Moore.

Trillium - it's Jeff Lemire.

Those 3 guys are geniuses of comic books.

+1