• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncanny X-Men 302 logo variant
2 2

83 posts in this topic

Looking for definitive proof of where this book (xmen 302) originated from, and where I can get one. That's all. The first person who can prove it will get this copy of Conan 77 .35 variant , (probably VG+) AND a VF/NM copy of GIJoe 21 mailed for zilch. Just need the info., not the book, unless you want to sell. Thanks!

4e2db12a.jpg

And here's the Conan. It's not much, but it's free. And you can't beat free.

ABD1224B-0C23-45F1-90D7-E7D8BC54D0FF-4828-000003CA1E7C2466.jpg

GiJoe 21. Would be easy NM without tiny chip on spine, but who cares?! It's free.

861BF3B9-C7FB-4F15-B8F6-772182CAA596-5525-0000045A8420F1F3.jpg

Is this one of those More Fun variants? I don't know. You'll have better luck with this question in the Copper or Modern forums. I see this is an offshoot from Copper thread on this book.

Edited by Transplant

Looking for definitive proof of where this book (xmen 302) originated from, and where I can get one. That's all. The first person who can prove it will get this copy of Conan 77 .35 variant , (probably VG+)mailed for zilch. Just need the info., not the book, unless you want to sell. Thanks!

4e2db12a.jpg

And here's the Conan. It's not much, but it's free. And you can't beat free.

ABD1224B-0C23-45F1-90D7-E7D8BC54D0FF-4828-000003CA1E7C2466.jpg

This books exists, but no one seems to know the origin etc.

Beachbum has one listed in his registry but no picture.

Its one I have missing.

I know it's not a marvel legends toy book. That's what most people think it is. The picture I posted is metarogs copy. He says the indictia is identical to the regular edition, and that the only difference is the missing price and UPC. Could it be an unreleased toy book? Just a giveaway? That could explain the missing price. This is just a shot in the dark by posting in here. Someone has to know!

There is the possibility that it is a Marvel Legends reprint for an unproduced Marvel Legends toy. If that is the case than a few issues of the impending comic may have been produced on the sample figures or as a mock up.

Here is one of many sites that showcase unproduced Marvel Legends figures that Toy Biz showed off at Toy Fair but never produced due to various reasons. You will note that there are several X-Men figures that could have been included with this book.

http://www.figurerealm.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28446

The problem with this reprint 302 is that nothing really seems to be important enough to warrant a reprint unless it were to be packaged in with something. I think it was an intended pack in with a Toy Biz Marvel Legend figure that never made it to the shelf.

There is the possibility that it is a Marvel Legends reprint for an unproduced Marvel Legends toy. If that is the case than a few issues of the impending comic may have been produced on the sample figures or as a mock up.

Here is one of many sites that showcase unproduced Marvel Legends figures that Toy Biz showed off at Toy Fair but never produced due to various reasons. You will note that there are several X-Men figures that could have been included with this book.

The problem with this reprint 302 is that nothing really seems to be important enough to warrant a reprint unless it were to be packaged in with something. I think it was an intended pack in with a Toy Biz Marvel Legend figure that never made it to the shelf.

That's what I was thinking. It is a book that covers a single character (colossus), so it would have been an ideal book to include with a possibly an unproduced colossus figure. The only thing that doesnt add up is that most of the marvel legends figures have books with blacked out UPC codes with the "not for resale" tag. Some even have the original price remaining. Bad quality control. So, it's probably not an error, and it was intended to be packaged or given away. Maybe toy people can solve the riddle?

The only query I have as to whether it is a Marvel Legend Figure, is at on the others its states 'Not for Resale' in the UPC square, while the UXM 302 is blank - does that make a difference?

The Pressman variant did have blank UPC boxes, but gold backgrounds and kept the prices - more confusion (shrug)

The only query I have as to whether it is a Marvel Legend Figure, is at on the others its states 'Not for Resale' in the UPC square, while the UXM 302 is blank - does that make a difference?

The Pressman variant did have blank UPC boxes, but gold backgrounds and kept the prices - more confusion (shrug)

It would be an open and shut case if the cover had any gold on it. Or if the back had a pressman add. Some of these toys have blank UPC codes, but have the price. Some no price and just the number. And most of them have a not for resale UPC. Random. If its a prototype, it will be hard to prove unless someone from marvel or the toy company will talk. Could it be just a handout? No price and UPC, regular book without changes from original. Possibility.

If it was a mock up or a work in progress used for a figure at Toy Fair or Comic Con then it may not have all the printed logos that would have been on the comic in the final production run.

I tried looking for Toy Fair and Comic Con pics from that time period but could not come up with anything. If anyone can find old toy fair photos from Toy Biz marvel legends, specifically for the mock up packages then that would help.

On ebay, I just saw a couple of completed auctions for toy bizz prototypes for colossus. Maybe this would have been the book included? It's a stretch, but nobody else seems to know. As far as cgc is concerned... I'm going to assume they know nothing.

You weren't kidding when you said you would solve this mystery :D

Just a thought but this forum is pretty good for Marvel figures, maybe someone there would know?

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/forum/

Working on it! Maybe Romita knows? The printers? Maybe contact Stan Lee? hm

I think the consensus is that it's some kind of toy book (released or not), or a giveaway. That's what I think it was.