• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official X-Force movie thread? Appears to be moving forward
1 1

119 posts in this topic

Very cool news.  I'm a bit surprised they're doing new mutants AND x-force though.  That's a lot of mutant teams to be out there at one time.  Hopefully they can do more 'genre' style movies that will help with the differentiation of groups.

If I was planning it, X-force would be somewhat more recent the Uncanny X-force story when they jumped like 50 years into the dystopian future to fight Stryfe, barely-alive Apoc, and teammate-turned-traitor Archangel, all with the help of Old Man Deadpool.  The opening of the movie before they future jumped would be them assassinating (or trying to) the leader of the Purifiers. 

and New Mutants would just be a literal high school teenage rom-com except the kids are mutants, with hijinks and angst, but zero (or very little) violence. 

’90s X-Force Leads The Hasbro Breakfast At SDCC

This morning at San Diego Comic-Con, there was a Hasbro Breakfast where the toy company revealed a few new projects that will be hitting shelves in the near future. Our own Jeremy Konrad was on site and took a few pictures. It starts with Black Widow on a motorcycle. This is an interesting choice, as there was some controversy back when the Avengers: Age of Ultron toys had Captain America on the motorcycle, even though it was Black Widow on it in the film. Could this be an unannounced mea culpa?

After that, there are a trio of Marvel Legends figures focusing on the 1990s X-Force characters, which are also announced to be in the next Deadpool movie. How convenient. The figures include Domino, Cable and of course, the Merc with the Mouth himself.

IMG_7485-600x450.jpg

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

Ryan Reynolds Hints At X-Force

ryan-reynolds-x-force-deadpool-x-men-mov

In addition to Ryan Reynolds talking how an Avengers Deadpool movie should be R-rated, Total Film Magazine points out that Josh Brolin signed a 4-picture deal, which may indicate Cable's involvement in other X-Men movies, and the magazine suggests Deadpool will follow suit, in addition to there being "whispers" of an X-Force film.

"I'd love to see that universe expand, but that's all I can really say about it," Reynolds said, with the article noting he responded with a half-grin, half-grimace before turning the subject back to Deadpool 2. "Now the origin's story done, it's given us this incredible opportunity to say, 'Well, what's the story we really want to tell?' We get to continue Deadpool's insane, off crazy journey, and we get to introduce Cable, and we get to introduce Domino."

As Reynolds himself notes, Deadpool 2 features three members of X-Force, so it wouldn't be a stretch to have some sort of spinoff featuring Cable and Domino. X-Force actually has a rumored writer and director with Joe Carnahan who is known for directing The Grey.

DEADLINE: Drew Goddard To Direct, Write ‘X-Force’ With Deadpool Leading Black Ops Force At Fox

drew-goddard-x-force.jpg?w=446&h=299&cro

EXCLUSIVE: Fox has set Drew Goddard to write and direct X-Force, the X-Men spinoff film that revolves around Deadpool and Cable leading a Black Ops force of down and dirty mutant warriors who are far more ruthless than their X-Men counterparts. Kinberg, Ryan Reynolds and Lauren Shuler Donner are producing. Goddard is next directing for Fox Bad Times at the El Royale with Chris Hemsworth and Jeff Bridges, but he has already cracked the -script and will roll right into X-Force when he is finished.

Reynolds’ Deadpool will for sure be the centerpiece of X-Force, and when Kinberg discussed the property publicly, he added Cable as a major component. Josh Brolin is playing the character in Deadpool 2.

Getting Goddard is a coup for the studio. He has been destined to spearhead a superhero franchise for a long time. Aside from launching the Daredevil series for Netflix, Goddard wrote to direct The Martian, but stepped aside for Ridley Scott to instead direct his -script for the Spider-Man villain spinoff The Sinister Six, until that film was scrapped for the new iteration of the webslinger. Now Goddard has his franchise.

:applause:

DEADPOOL 2 Star Josh Brolin Teases Cable's Introduction And Reveals When X-FORCE Starts Shooting

X-_Force.jpg

Josh Brolin will play Cable in Deadpool 2 and the actor has now shed some light on what we should expect from the highly anticipated sequel from John Wick co-director David Leitch. Asked specifically what the filmmaker is bringing to the table and what sort of impact that's had on him, he replied:

"[David] embraces what he’s very good at, which I think is very smart. There’s ton of action in it. The tease is, a guy who’s 49 years old on the cusp of 50 who got in the best shape of his life, especially exterior, and I was extremely disciplined throughout that whole thing. I got beat to mess on that movie. That’s all I know. I had stuntmen throwing me all over the place. I’ve got a shoulder issue, I’ve got a knee issue that I’ve got to deal with now, but we got through it. We got through it. I pushed hard and I suffered because of it."

Brolin has clearly been put through the wringer for the movie but he's not going to have long to recover as the actor went on to shed some light on when he'll be reprising the role in X-Force. 

"I think [X-Force films] sometime next year or soon thereafter. It depends. It all depends. It depends on how Deadpool 2 does, but I don’t think that’s a make or break kind of deal. Drew Goddard is already involved in it. He’s into it now. I know he and Ryan were meeting. I’ve met him once, and so this is all kind of going ahead. How it goes ahead, I know that they’re preparing, and I know that it’s something that I’m set to do. When it happens they’re going to put it as fast as they can. I think Drew Goddard is doing his movie right now and then once he’s kind of wrapped up with that and this movie comes out I think we’ll be ready to start the other one."

X-Force: Drew Goddard Still Attached to Write and Direct Despite Disney Deal

Drew-Goddard-X-Force.jpg?q=50&w=486&h=30

The Cabin in the Woods director Drew Goddard is still attached to write and direct an X-Force adaptation for 20th Century Fox, despite the studio being acquired by The Walt Disney Company. In December 2017, the Mouse House began the process of fully acquiring 21st Century Fox’s movie and TV assets, which include the film rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four. While plans are already underway to eventually incorporate both superhero teams into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the films already in development at Fox will continue to move forward, including X-Force.

Kick- 2 writer and director Jeff Wadlow was originally hired to pen the screenplay for an X-Force adaptation in 2013 – but he was replaced by Joe Carnahan in February 2017, who was subsequently replaced by Goddard in September 2017 – based on the superhero team of the same name created by Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld in 1991. For those that don’t know, X-Force is a revamped version of the New Mutants that takes on mutant enemies in a much more militaristic fashion than the X-Men. The team is typically led by Nathan Summers, aka Cable, who will be played by Josh Brolin in David Leitch’s Deadpool 2 this coming June, with the actor already scheduled to reprise his role in Fox’s X-Force film.

It Sounds Like DEADPOOL Spinoff X-FORCE Will Start Shooting Before The Disney/Fox Deal Is Finalized

Deadpool-_X-_Force-costume.jpg

Deadpool 2 is set to be released this May, while X-Men: Dark Phoenix follows in December and The New Mutants will finally reach theaters next February. While Fox has a lot of different X-Men projects in the works, there's a very good chance that the latter will be the final one released by the studio because Disney is in the process of acquiring the studio and the many Marvel characters it owns.

Well, it appears as if Fox is looking to squeeze one more Marvel movie in before it's too late because a new report claims that X-Force will start shooting this October. That would mean it finishes filming before the Disney deal can go through, a sign perhaps that it will be released late 2019 (it's going to take time to bring the X-Men into the MCU so it's unlikely Disney would decide against releasing it).

For now, everything is very much a case of "wait and see" when it comes to both this deal and the future of Ryan Reynolds' Merc with the Mouth. Considering the fact it appears as if Deadpool 2 will go some way in introducing X-Force, it would be a shame not to see the team on the big screen and a movie like this would certainly help Fox go out on a high.

Deadpool 2 will serve act as a sort of backdoor pilot for X-Force, a planned X-Men universe spinoff on the way from writer-director Drew Goddard (The Cabin in the Woods). Goddard, who served as writer and producer on Lost, The Martian and Marvel/Netflix productions Daredevil and The Defenders, will team with Deadpool 2 producers Ryan Reynolds, Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg to bring the black ops team of mutants to the big screen. The plan, per a September 2017 report from Deadline, is to spin the mutant team off into their own movie expected to heavily revolve around both Deadpool (Reynolds) and Cable (Josh Brolin).

X-Force

In the Marvel comic books, X-Force was a more brutal counterpart to famous mutant super-team the X-Men — a task force assembled by Cable, who operated under a simple philosophy: "get them before they get you." The team primarily and violently took aim at anti-mutant terrorists, with an evolving roster that has counted Deadpool and mutants Domino, Wolverine, Colossus, Warpath, Shatterstar, Archangel, Psylocke and X-23 among its ranks.

Full Blown Cable

Brolin acknowledged Deadpool 2 will act in part as a springboard for the X-Force spinoff, which will rest in part upon the actor's beefy shoulders.

"I think we’re not trying to hide the fact that this is the beginning of Cable and absolutely not the end," Brolin told Collider, explaining the Deadpool sequel is the first of potentially four planned appearances for the character. 

"When we finally get into X-Force," Brolin said, "you're going to be with this guy full blown all the time. There's a lot to be revealed."  

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Brolin acknowledged Deadpool 2 will act in part as a springboard for the X-Force spinoff, which will rest in part upon the actor's beefy shoulders.

"I think we’re not trying to hide the fact that this is the beginning of Cable and absolutely not the end," Brolin told Collider, explaining the Deadpool sequel is the first of potentially four planned appearances for the character. 

"When we finally get into X-Force," Brolin said, "you're going to be with this guy full blown all the time. There's a lot to be revealed."  

If investors are willing to take a little risk they really should buy New Mutants 87 CGC 9.8 (first Cable).  Right now it is going for about $550.  If Deadpool 2 becomes as big of a hit as the first movie I can see this book hitting New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8 (first Deadpool) levels...$800.

The risk is if this movie flops the book will be back at $400 levels.  But what's the likelihood of it floppinghm?.

CONFIRMED: Zazie Beetz Joins Drew Goddard’s ‘X-Force’

d-m.jpg

Last month it was reported by THR that actress Zazie Beetz, who plays Domino in the upcoming Deadpool 2, had signed a 3-film deal with Fox. The news spurred speculation that we would likely next see the actress in X-Force, the upcoming Drew Goddard helmed pic which is expected to hit theaters in 2019. That Hashtag Show can now confirm that Beetz will join Deadpool 2 stars Ryan Reynolds and Josh Brolin in the film.

The news comes as the film enters pre-production for an October start of principal photography. The project, which will be based on a screenplay by Goddard, is being overseen by Fox exec Jeremy Kramer. Longtime Fox producers Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner are producing with Ryan Reynolds serving as an executive producer as well. Ronna Kress, who was hired by Fox as their casting director in 2016, will lead the search for additional cast members ahead of production. At this time, it is unclear if any members of the X-Force team assembled in Deadpool 2 will be making the jump to the X-Force film, or if Fox will be shuffling the roster for the squad described as “a Black Ops force of down and dirty mutant warriors who are far more ruthless than their X-Men counterparts.”

Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds, X-Men producer Simon Kinberg and X-Force writer-director Drew Goddard have yet to determine a roster for the planned X-verse spinoff, Kinberg tells EW.

“Drew, Ryan, and I sat down and talked quite a bit about what X-Force would be, but we haven’t on settled who those characters are yet,” Kinberg said. “But certainly we’d want Cable and Domino to be part of it.”

Deadpool 2 introduces the pair of mutants by way of series newcomers Josh Brolin and Zazie Beetz, who proved so popular in test screenings the sequel utilized its reshoots to add more scenes for both characters.

Reynolds will executive produce the X-Force solo, itself spinning out of Deadpool 2.

The sequel introduces the team of mutants — and regular guy Peter (Rob Delaney) — as a ragtag group assembled by 'Pool and pal Weasel (T.J. Miller), bringing together Bedlam (Terry Crews), Shatterstar (Lewis Tan), Zeitgest (Bill Skarsgard), and Shioli Kutsuna in an unidentified role that may be Surge.

Goddard, who served as writer and producer on Lost and Marvel/Netflix productions Daredevil and The Defenders, will team with DP2 producers Reynolds, Kinberg and Lauren Shuler Donner to give the black-ops team of mutants their own movie as one of the three annual X-verse movies planned by studio 20th Century Fox despite the looming finalization of Disney's $52.4 billion dollar buyout.

DP2 acts as a sort of backdoor pilot for X-Force, in the same manner Spider-Man and Black Panther debuted in Marvel Studios' Captain America: Civil War before receiving their own movies.

X-Force creator Rob Liefeld told Fandango the live-action takes on his creations could be “an R-rated Avengers in the making,” saying the team can “absolutely rival” Marvel’s flagship franchise.

“You can see where Fox is building up a roster that rivals what happened over with the Avengers. They built up piece by piece this impressive group of personalities, and actors, and talent that people just responded to,” Liefeld said.

He continued: “I’ve seen more than the average Joe has seen, but I see how well it clicks, and I think that when you throw the R-rating in there, the X-Force can absolutely rival the Avengers. X-Force is not family friendly, and that matters, too. I definitely do see them building their version of the Avengers with this.”

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Just go with the original roster.  That's the real X-Force.  The other teams were merely "lets add this popular character to sell more comics"...

- Cable

- Domino

- Cannon Ball

- Boom Boom

- Shatterstar

- Warpath

If they traded out Boom Boom for Negasonic Teenage Warhead I'd be okay with that.  Or Cannon Ball for Warlock(thumbsu.

Recently, the writers behind Deadpool 2 opened up about their NSFW vision for the X-Force movie with CBR. Rhett Reese was asked whether X-Force venture could pull off a R-rating like Deadpool and Logan. And, as you can see below, the writer doesn’t think it will be an issue.

“I think the fun part of X-Force is they’re much more morally flexible than the X-Men,” Reese explained.

“They can get their hands dirty a little bit. There’s more grey area. It’ll be raunchier, it’ll be rated R, I’m sure. We’ll get to see an ensemble movie that’s pushed, hopefully, as far as the Deadpool individual movie was pushed.”

Of course, the writer makes a good point; The X-Force may sound similar to the X-Men, but their origins could not be more different. While the latter group was founded by a pacifistic Charles Xavier to save the world, the X-Force was molded out of a need for brutality. Cable put together the grittiest mutants he knew for the task force, and they have never hesitated to kill on sight if the mission calls for it.

With a reputation proceeding it, the X-Force was setup for a higher rating than its X-Men predecessors. In the same way Deadpool’s films lean into chaotic violence, Reese believes there is a way for Fox’s X-Force film to do the same. So, fans will want to keep a close eye on the risque film as it heads into development and selects its characters. As the sequel's writers told ComicBook during a recent interview, director Drew Goddard has yet to narrow down the mutants who will make up the X-Force team.

"Well, it's a good question," Reese explained. "I mean Drew Goddard's writing X-Force and he's not going to start writing it until the fall. And so we gave him certainly a spring-board to jump off of but ultimately it's going to be up to Drew as to exactly which characters he wants to keep. I think it will certainly be some combination of the characters we've presented for him, but we're not going to try to hem them in. I think he might add new ones, he might use specific ones that are a little non-obvious from the ones he's already got to choose from. So we'll just have to see."

Goddard, who is set to write and direct Fox's upcoming X-Force spinoff film, recently revealed his plans for the film in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. Even as the first incarnation of X-Force quickly met a violent end in Deadpool 2, with Bedlam (Terry Crews), Shatterstar (Lewis Tan), Vanisher (Brad Pitt), and Zeitgeist (Bill Skarsgard) all being brutally killed in one way or another, it sounds like Goddard is actually excited about the storytelling possibilities that allows.

“To be honest, I think that’s why it excited me so much,” Goddard explained. “I remember reading that scene and just cackling with delight, specifically because it was the very last thing you’d expect to happen in one of these movies. These movies are so careful to set up the next thing and the next thing, and it made me so happy.”

And as it turns out, Goddard didn't put his foot down about how Deadpool 2 decided to deal with the X-Force, and was more than happy to write around their plot decisions instead.

“One thing I said to Ryan [Reynolds] was, ‘Don’t worry about it, we’ll come up with new ideas; you guys go make your movie, and do your thing. We’ll figure it out,'” Goddard continued. “That tends to be the way I like to work. It’s much more important to focus on making the movie that you’re making than focusing on the next thing. It’s much more important to just make one good movie and take your time, then let that dictate what the movies are after.”

So, what exactly could Goddard's new ideas look like (especially with the Disney/Fox deal still going on)? Apparently, it will all be rooted in the trio of Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds), Cable (Josh Brolin), and Domino (Zazie Beetz), which Goddard has a fondness for.

“It really all stems from a place of love; I love those comics, I love Ryan, I love Josh, and I love Zazie Beetz,” Goddard revealed. “When I think of the comics, I think of Cable and Domino and Deadpool, and it’s really just knowing, ‘Oh, right, there’s a world in the X-Universe for the blunt instruments of mutantdom.’ It’s much more about the characters and my love for them than it is about any plot or story line. It’s more about loving them and wanting to see them bounce off each other."

Edited by Bosco685

Disney's purchase of 21st Century Fox resulted in numerous complications in regards to tentative projects, though a new deal between Goddard and Disney could bode well for the Deadpool spin-off. The deal refers specifically to TV, yet an announcement the day after the merger was officially enacted could be a sign of things to come.

The Hollywood Reporter confirms "Goddard will write, create, direct, and develop new projects for the studio for all platforms." It is a four-year, eight-figure deal.

"I am thrilled to be working so closely with [Disney TV Studios and ABC Entertainment chairman] Dana [Walden] and her team," Goddard shared in a statement. "My relationship with Dana stretches back to the beginning when I first started at Buffy. Since then, I have had the privilege of working with Disney and Fox for the majority of my career in television, and I look forward to continuing those relationships over the next few years."

Walden added, "Having a new deal with him after all this time makes me unspeakably happy. As a writer and director, he's a 10; as a collaborator and magnet for other incredible writers, directors, and actors, he is off the charts. Our goal is to support Drew as he builds his own spectacular production company inside of the Disney Television Studios."