• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

It's not. I've read every Byrne X-Men and Simonson X-Factor so many times that I've committed them to memory. It's not. There may be a few small nods here and there, but as a whole it's absolutely not. No way.

Liam, I assure your opinion is valid. If that's the way you see it.

I'm not arguing anything here, simply stating my own opinion.

Bosco..... yeah. K

It's not. I've read every Byrne X-Men and Simonson X-Factor so many times that I've committed them to memory. It's not. There may be a few small nods here and there, but as a whole it's absolutely not. No way.
you haven't seen this movie or have you?

:shrug:

Marvel takes dozens of liberties and no one complains yet everyone else does and it's blasphemy

And before I hear "marvel does it right" I disagree

I mentioned before the entire universe is centered around RDJ and Iron Man. Why because in the seats

Marvel takes dozens of liberties and no one complains yet everyone else does and it's blasphemy

And before I hear "marvel does it right" I disagree

I mentioned before the entire universe is centered around RDJ and Iron Man. Why because in the seats

I think Deadpool, Cap 1, and Spiderman got the TONE closest to the original source material, and that's what I look for. The scenes and stories by nature are gonna have to be pretty different, although there are some 'shots' and 'setpieces' that will try to emulate actual comics, which is fine too.

I've been re-watching the more modern X-Men films to get ready for this one (First Class, Wolverine Ultimate Extended Cut, Days of Future Past). I can safely say it has been like enjoying a series of live comic books.

By the way, The Wolverine Ultimate Extended Cut is worth having. But they cut some of the soundtrack out to fit the additional scenes in without it appearing out-of-place. At times, the missing soundtrack does detract slightly from the atmosphere demonstrated in the Theatrical Cut. But I still appreciate it.

I've watched it twice now. First go-round to enjoy it and the second to pay closer attention and catch things I've missed.

Fourteen Fox produced Marvel movies & zero Billion dollar Fox-Marvel grossing film.

How difficult is it to produce a Billion dollar grossing film??

Considering there are only 25 films (not counting for inflation) to have grossed 1+ billion & only 6 Superhero films, it's certainly not common. Although Marvel has gotten 4 in the past 5 years through 13 MCU films. hm Then again, DC has only pulled it off twice. (shrug)

Considering there are only 25 films (not counting for inflation) to have grossed 1+ billion & only 6 Superhero films, it's certainly not common. Although Marvel has gotten 4 in the past 5 years through 13 MCU films. hm Then again, DC has only pulled it off twice. (shrug)

Three (3) DC films have broken one billion dollars when you do factor in 2016 USD.

zy6xymA.png

UlvUYIg.png

The Grandaddy of them all broke $1B back in 1978. Box Office Mojo just doesn't reflect this because it doesn't adjust International Box Office for inflation - just Domestic.

Holy!

48% on RottenTomatoes.

It can only get better...right

Quite the opposite...all the reviewers who hate having to watch superhero movies review it last, so it'll go down.

Spoiler FREE Review -

Just saw the NON-3D version last night at 8pm. Theatre was half empty (at the beginning) as tickets were all pre-bought and there was a CURE concert at the amphitheater 1/2 mile away, and multiple car accidents on local and freeways near by. Traffic was a nightmare.

The movie was fun, cheesy, and I thought very comic book-y in terms of dialogue and some of the visuals. Many looked liked cool splash pages, which was fine. I loved all the 80's references, enough but not too many inside jokes/easter eggs. Its worth watching if you like the X-men, but its not a masterpiece or anything

The Spoiler-Free Good:

- I thought the effects were generally amazing, especially the Magneto effects. We've seen him for like 5-6 movies now, and I was impressed how they found a new way to show his power.

- I liked the young X-men, I felt like they were true to how their book characters would be while also being young and confused. I especially liked the clumsily charming Nightcrawler, and his wardrobe for the middle act.

- I liked Psylocke and Caliban, I wish they both had 'more' of a role in the movie. They should make a tv show about the adventures of Psylocke and Caliban.

- Another 1+ awesome Quicksilver scene.

The Spoiler-Free Bad:

- Apocalypse didn't look right. Should be taller with more angles. And more shoulder pads.

- The Horseman situation just felt very uneven, from power levels, to screen time, to job assignments.

- More than a few times, the 'cheese' might make you groan.

- Entertained me throughout, but still felt a bit choppy.

Spoiler-Filled Good:

- I really liked the way they developed Jean Grey as kind of being afraid the whole movie, then blasting out as Phoenix at the end. I didn't expect her to 'Phoenix' so hard so early. I'm glad it wasn't ruined by trailers.

- Some will disagree, but I liked the way Mystique was a hero to the younger mutants, and I like the use of Jennifer Lawrence and her reasons for not being 'blue' so much, aside from the CGI costs. I felt like her acting carried the movie in parts.

- I thought Havoc stole all the scenes he was in. Thought he was great, with very fun interactions with the Charles. But I don't mind that he died.

Spoiler-Filled Bad:

-Worst thing about the movie was by far Angel/Archangel. Effing useless, and looked wussy. They really need to cover that curly blond hair, and they didn't. That mofo was NOT the Angel of Death. Maybe the Angel of Marginal Angst.

- I said earlier I liked Psylocke, but her and Archangel really didn't seem worthy of being Horseman, before or after their transformations. Why not Jean Grey, or Havoc, Nightcrawler, almost literally anyone else?

- I'm pretty sure Magneto killed millions of people with his terraforming. And Charles and him are cool at the end of the movie?

- Magneto's wife and daughter being killed by the same stray arrow, and why was he speaking English in the factory? C'mon guys. That's some 'my mom's name is Martha too' level BS.

Not as good as the previous 2 Xmen movies, but not bad. For reference, I give BvS a 5.5/10, Civil War 8.5/10, and I give this one a 6.5 out of 10.

I feel like there might be some benefit from 3d for this one, others can chime in on that.

Edited by Revat