• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

Spoiler FREE Review -

Just saw the NON-3D version last night at 8pm. Theatre was half empty (at the beginning) as tickets were all pre-bought and there was a CURE concert at the amphitheater 1/2 mile away, and multiple car accidents on local and freeways near by. Traffic was a nightmare.

The movie was fun, cheesy, and I thought very comic book-y in terms of dialogue and some of the visuals. Many looked liked cool splash pages, which was fine. I loved all the 80's references, enough but not too many inside jokes/easter eggs. Its worth watching if you like the X-men, but its not a masterpiece or anything

The Spoiler-Free Good:

- I thought the effects were generally amazing, especially the Magneto effects. We've seen him for like 5-6 movies now, and I was impressed how they found a new way to show his power.

- I liked the young X-men, I felt like they were true to how their book characters would be while also being young and confused. I especially liked the clumsily charming Nightcrawler, and his wardrobe for the middle act.

- I liked Psylocke and Caliban, I wish they both had 'more' of a role in the movie. They should make a tv show about the adventures of Psylocke and Caliban.

- Another 1+ awesome Quicksilver scene.

The Spoiler-Free Bad:

- Apocalypse didn't look right. Should be taller with more angles. And more shoulder pads.

- The Horseman situation just felt very uneven, from power levels, to screen time, to job assignments.

- More than a few times, the 'cheese' might make you groan.

- Entertained me throughout, but still felt a bit choppy.

Spoiler-Filled Good:

- I really liked the way they developed Jean Grey as kind of being afraid the whole movie, then blasting out as Phoenix at the end. I didn't expect her to 'Phoenix' so hard so early. I'm glad it wasn't ruined by trailers.

- Some will disagree, but I liked the way Mystique was a hero to the younger mutants, and I like the use of Jennifer Lawrence and her reasons for not being 'blue' so much, aside from the CGI costs. I felt like her acting carried the movie in parts.

- I thought Havoc stole all the scenes he was in. Thought he was great, with very fun interactions with the Charles. But I don't mind that he died.

Spoiler-Filled Bad:

-Worst thing about the movie was by far Angel/Archangel. Effing useless, and looked wussy. They really need to cover that curly blond hair, and they didn't. That mofo was NOT the Angel of Death. Maybe the Angel of Marginal Angst.

- I said earlier I liked Psylocke, but her and Archangel really didn't seem worthy of being Horseman, before or after their transformations. Why not Jean Grey, or Havoc, Nightcrawler, almost literally anyone else?

- I'm pretty sure Magneto killed millions of people with his terraforming. And Charles and him are cool at the end of the movie?

- Magneto's wife and daughter being killed by the same stray arrow, and why was he speaking English in the factory? C'mon guys. That's some 'my mom's name is Martha too' level BS.

Not as good as the previous 2 Xmen movies, but not bad. For reference, I give BvS a 5.5/10, Civil War 8.5/10, and I give this one a 6.5 out of 10.

I feel like there might be some benefit from 3d for this one, others can chime in on that.

I agree with a lot of that. I think there was more good than bad and there were moments that me crying in joy. I think it was way better than BvS, X3, any Wolverine movie, and I enjoyed it more than X-Men 1.

I agree on the terraforming thing. Xavier keeps letting Erik get away with things, which makes no sense.

The language thing is used in tons of movies horribly, they were to inconsistent with it in this one.

I think my biggest problem was some predictability. Maybe it's because we know the character of Storm so well, but I felt that every close up of her face was telegraphing her eventual betrayal.

Also, DANGER ROOM and SINISTER coming!

:o:o

Two reveals in that video that if you don't want to know before seeing this movie, DO NOT WATCH IT!

The image posted already gave away one. :taptaptap:

I've been trying to force myself not to look at spoilers anymore. But with the internet, it's not easy.

So glad I didn't see giant man images before the film showing.

How critical was it to have Wolverine in this movie? Is it to set up the Wolverine 2017 movie? Where did he go?

It wasn't anything other than a fun plot point and quick scene. I think the tag set up what will happen in the next Wolverine movie more.

I wish Fox would trade back the X-Men to Marvel in exchange for the Inhumans. Fox could put out crappy movies with that franchise and nobody would notice...

It'd probably also change how Marvel is treating X-men in comics. Only Inhumans I care about are Kamala and Karnak.

I'm i the only one that thinks apocalypse was miss used and if maybe the movie was spilt into two films we could have gotten more of the new characters and FOX could have explore more of Apocalypse link to the Celestials. i would say this about the and it was the first time i notice it besides the quicksilver scenes being awesome the fights where bad. both BvS and CW had great fight scenes Apocalypse didn't.

I'm i the only one that thinks apocalypse was miss used and if maybe the movie was spilt into two films we could have gotten more of the new characters and FOX could have explore more of Apocalypse link to the Celestials. i would say this about the and it was the first time i notice it besides the quicksilver scenes being awesome the fights where bad. both BvS and CW had great fight scenes Apocalypse didn't.

I agree definitely that both CW and BvS had better 'main battle' scenes. But as super battle scenes go, I generally don't expect as much out of the X-men movies, especially if they don't involve wolverine. With that being said, X-Men last stand (which everyone hates, but I thought was just average) probably had the best large scale set piece for a battle of any of the X-movies (don't try to sell me on the beach of First Class, I ain't buying).

It would have been nice for Psylocke v Beast to be a bit more Bucky v Cap with the hand to hand combat, or for Magneto and Jean Grey to have a teke-war, or for Mystique to grow a pair of wings and do Angel v Angel, but that's not really Singer's game. There's very little back-and-forth brutality to his fight scenes if they don't involve Wolverine. Maybe that's on purpose to highlight wolverine's savagery, or maybe he just doesn't have that many ideas (compared to say...Marvel who has somehow made Cap's and Falcon's fighting styles pretty cool AND keep evolving).

Edited by Revat

How critical was it to have Wolverine in this movie? Is it to set up the Wolverine 2017 movie? Where did he go?

It wasn't anything other than a fun plot point and quick scene. I think the tag set up what will happen in the next Wolverine movie more.

Actually, it does have significance.

The Wolverine: Logan starts with Adamantium, but Silver Samurai takes it from him (at least his claws).

DoFP teaser: Magneto is able to stop Logan from coming at him in the airport, which means some Adamantium is still part of his body.

DoFP: Logan has to deal with bone claws in the past - Adamantium in the future; but when fished from the river, he still had bone claws.

Apocalypse: The Weapon X Program has now taken him back to full Adamantium, leading into Wolverine 3 where he will most probably need this.

BOX OFFICE: X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Narrowly Beats DAYS OF FUTURE PAST's Thursday Night Takings

Bryan Singer's X-Men: Apocalypse is heading towards a very respectable Memorial Day weekend box office haul, as it's already topped Days Of Future Past's Thursday night preview takings. That movie launched with $8.1 million back in 2014 and went on to earn $110.6 million over the three-day holiday weekend, but Apocalypse has just inched past that with $8.2 million from last night's screenings.

Adjusting for 2016 USD inflation, that $8.1 MM in 2014 still falls below $8.2 MM ($8.186 MM). But even if both movies were on the same financial track - yet mixed reviews this time around - not bad.

The Wolverine: Logan starts with Adamantium, but Silver Samurai takes it from him (at least his claws).

DoFP teaser: Magneto is able to stop Logan from coming at him in the airport, which means some Adamantium is still part of his body.

DoFP: Logan has to deal with bone claws in the past - Adamantium in the future; but when fished from the river, he still had bone claws.

Apocalypse: The Weapon X Program has now taken him back to full Adamantium, leading into Wolverine 3 where he will most probably need this.

Except the The Wolverine takes place in a future that no longer exists in this timeline.

Wolverine would have ended up in Weapon X with the Adamantium in both timelines one way or another.

The Logan that was fished from the river is pre-Adamantium Logan as it was still the 70's. It's how in that timeline Weapon X gets a hold of him. Wolverine 3 seems like it'll be in the timeline that was modified by Days of Future Past where Jean and Scott are still alive, the one from the end of Days of Future Past.

Unless I'm mistaken about him and the Adamantium, but I was under the impression the reason he had bone claws in the 70's was because he hadn't yet been through Weapon X and that in this movie he was getting it for the first time in a way different than in the original timeline. But what I think you're saying, is that he's getting re-doped with Adamantium?

That makes it more a reminder that for the next movie he'll have Adamantium again.

Edited by WhiteLantHawkeye

Except the The Wolverine takes place in a future that no longer exists in this timeline.

Wolverine would have ended up in Weapon X with the Adamantium in both timelines one way or another.

The Logan that was fished from the river is pre-Adamantium Logan as it was still the 70's. It's how in that timeline Weapon X gets a hold of him. Wolverine 3 seems like it'll be in the timeline that was modified by Days of Future Past where Jean and Scott are still alive, the one from the end of Days of Future Past.

Unless I'm mistaken about him and the Adamantium, but I was under the impression the reason he had bone claws in the 70's was because he hadn't yet been through Weapon X and that in this movie he was getting it for the first time in a way different than in the original timeline. But what I think you're saying, is that he's getting re-doped with Adamantium?

That makes it more a reminder that for the next movie he'll have Adamantium again.

thats correct remember the only way magento beat him in days of future past was because he put through him metal rods and send him flying into the lake.

thats correct remember the only way magento beat him in days of future past was because he put through him metal rods and send him flying into the lake.

14w0ye.jpg

14w0ye.jpg

tumblr_m29134UwRE1qjkmbno2_500.gif

I agree, this Apocalypse was kinda lackluster.

He didn't get epic until his fight with Xavier on the astral plane...and most of that is stuff he should have done in reality.

There was no real X-Men vs Apocalypse fight. They fought the Horsemen and shot lasers and energy at Apocalypse...but no real mano y mano fight. (The astral plane fight was cool but doesn't really count.)

I never though of Apocalypse as the epic villain he should have been. The best version of him was in X-Men Evolution...that was the kind of epic I was hoping for...we didn't even get X-Men: TAS epic.

I did like most of the new students...they really gipped Jubilee on screen time and characterization.