• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

This movie was excellent just got back from seeing it.

I was moved to tears several times with Magneto. He is the X-men's Darth Vader I think. The first hour of the movie he stole the show. Quicksilver also was excellent and had some great scenes, but until the battle scenes

Magneto stole the show. It was his movie I think. It was so nice for them to show his level of despair. Singer finally got him right.

This movie really didn't have a bad spot although some of the battle scenes were only so so. The wolverine cameo was very nice and many in the theater didn't expect it.

Ignore the critics this movie if you are an X-men fan is well worth it.

This movie was excellent just got back from seeing it.

I was moved to tears several times with Magneto. He is the X-men's Darth Vader I think. The first hour of the movie he stole the show. Quicksilver also was excellent and had some great scenes, but until the battle scenes

Magneto stole the show. It was his movie I think. It was so nice for them to show his level of despair. Singer finally got him right.

This movie really didn't have a bad spot although some of the battle scenes were only so so. The wolverine cameo was very nice and many in the theater didn't expect it.

Ignore the critics this movie if you are an X-men fan is well worth it.

:applause:

And for those that didn't catch this earlier.

AMAZON X-Men: Apocalypse Movie Ticket Offer

Overview: Buy any eligible movie in the list below and receive a reward code that you can activate for a movie certificate valid toward one admission (up to $7.50 total value) to see X-Men: Apocalypse beginning May 27, 2016 at participating theaters.

Step 1: Complete your purchase of any eligible movie in the list below between May 8, 2016 and June 4, 2016 only. Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com.

Step 2: Once the disc ships you will receive an email within 48 hours containing your reward code.

Ant-Man WW > X-Men:A WW

$519M> (?)

Is it even possible?

The opening weekend starting points do have a slight gap.

Ant-Man opening weekend: $57,225,526

X-Men: Apocalypse opening weekend (estimate): $61MM ($74 MM long weekend)

I guess you're assuming X:A won't have as much staying power. We shall see what word-of-mouth delivers.

i just got back from watching the movie. it was a good movie. the only thing great about the movie was quicksilver. he has absolutely stolen the last two movies. if you take him and those great stop motion scenes out. the movie would have been very average at best.

This.

X-Men Movies New Timeline Explained

Director Bryan Singer acknowledges that the events of X-Men 1, X-2: X-Men United, and X-3: The Last Stand, are all erased going forward. At the end of Days of Future Past, Logan sees a future where all the original X-Men (including the actors that played them in the original trilogy) are alive and well.

Singer spoke to Collider about specifics of the new timeline, and if indeed we are working our way towards that future that is seen at the end of Days of Future Past, and even towards the beginning of the original X-Men.

“It’s not leading necessarily toward exactly where we found Patrick Stewart and the X-Men at the beginning of X-Men 1. There are some things that lead in that general direction, that was part of the philosophy we had at the end of Days of Future Past is that you can’t fully change the course or current of the river, but you can just divert it a little bit, and we diverted it a little bit. So some things will be surprises; people could die that were alive in X-Men 1, 2 and 3, or people could survive that died during 1, 2 and 3.”

He continued about that ripple effect, and how he tried to get it across in Days of Future Past.

“What happens when you use Days of Future Past to erase movies like X1, 2 and 3 - yes you can erase those events that occurred. But I also was very adamant about having what we call ‘The Tivo Scene.’ The scene in that room with all the video cameras in Days of Future Past, I call it the Tivo scene. ‘I developed this piece of technology that records television;’ the point is time’s immutability. The idea that time is like a river. You can splash it and mess it up and throw rocks in it and shatter it but it eventually kind of coalesces and this is, again, quantum physics theory. It’s all based in quantum physics.”

While fans can use the other films as a sort of barometer for what could happen, Singer isn't promising those will match up, and that freedom was specifically the reason they got rid of those three films.

So we may or may not see the events that took place in X-Men 1-3 again.

Problem is they have already screwed up the continuity of the new movies too.

In First Class, when Xavier first uses Cerebro to look for mutants, we see a young Storm (with white hair!!!) and a young Cyclops...all in the 1960s...there is no way they are still kids in 1983 during Apocalypse.

i just got back from watching the movie. it was a good movie. the only thing great about the movie was quicksilver. he has absolutely stolen the last two movies. if you take him and those great stop motion scenes out. the movie would have been very average at best.

This.

I disagree.

While Quicksilver was great and he had one great scene in this one I thought Magneto's performance carries this movie especially the first 1/2 of the film.

My X-Men review WITH SPOILERS:

The short review is that it's an average movie. It was all quite generic Hollywood.

There were some fantastic elements and some horrible elements. Unfortunately, I'd call the primary villain (Apocalypse) one of the horrible elements. The character design and voice were bad and the character's story was pretty flat. Just another typical Hollywood supervillian looking to end the world as we know it accompanied by four even flatter characters. If there were ever generic, throwaway characters, the four horsemen were it. They were just posing for most of the movie. It reminded me a lot of X-Men 3, where they just packed it with characters for the sake of adding characters.

On the plus side, Quicksilver was fantastic yet again! McAvoy as Xavier, was great! Fassbender was still great as Magneto, but I felt like the writing for his -script (as well as others) was not so good. The newly added Cyclops and Nightcrawler were just fine. I did not care for Sophie Turner as Jean Grey though. Olivia Munn as Psylocke was perfect! Too bad her character was not given any backstory at all. Hopefully, Psylocke will be developed in the coming years. She looked awesome.

The Weapon X scene of Wolverine slashing his way to escape was spectacular! By far, it was my favorite part of the movie (followed by the Quicksilver scene). I don't think they should have had him interact with the X-Men, but outside of that, it was great.

The movie overall didn't really tell any sort of interesting story. It was just another super CGI heavy, superhero movie for the most part. I give it a very average, 5 out of 10.

Here's my review: it was great. Interesting take on apocalypse...every character was fun to watch...movie never got boring. Magneto was deep...quicksilver awesome...and great acting throughout. The only thing I felt was missing was apocalypse using his powers from the comics more. 9/10

It was alright. Not great. Not awful. Maybe a little below First Class? Definitely not as good as DoFP but still eminently watchable.

There was a lot of Handwavium involved & a lot of stuff that they just kinda expect you to just go with that didn't bother me, but did bother my friend that watched it with me. A lot of the "wait, how did Apocalypse get that tech in ancient egypt?", I had to explain "oh, they kinda just stuck it in there but had to hand-wave it away by hoping you don't ask too many questions about it because they're not allowed to answer that question" and a few other things, but overall? It wasn't bad.

This one relied a little more on "just ask your nerd friend to explain those other things to you" than other X-Movies is about the only real complaint I had on a story level.

Well, and Apocalypse kinda got turned into Origins: Wolverine Deadpool a little too. Felt like they didn't really understand the character that much & decided to kinda do whatever they wanted with his powers.

Also, what the heck happened to Havok? I'm 99% sure he was the first guy Quicksilver pulled out. But they didn't seem to address that other than Scott asking "where's my brother?". I'm guessing Lucas Till was too busy with his MacGyver reboot tv show to give them much more time & they just kinda left it really open ended in case it flops & he wants to come back.

Still didn't really like the look they went with for Apocalypse and that the team was rocking the black biker body-armor look again. I still think the "flight suits" from First Class were the best. But it's Singer and he's allergic to colorful costumes of any sort. So I didn't really expect much else.

What I did like tho was young Jean. I dug a lot of the other characters but really liked the new Jean. Not a big fan of the kid they cast as Scott because he looked like he was about to cry the whole time, but he was still good. Kinda hate-loved the Flock of Seagulls meets Michael Jackson Thriller Nightcrawler look though. And understood that they were going a little blue-people-heavy so they didn't do Archangel blue too. It was fun though. And surprisingly emotional at the end.

It's one I'll re-watch if it's on TV.

Problem is they have already screwed up the continuity of the new movies too.

In First Class, when Xavier first uses Cerebro to look for mutants, we see a young Storm (with white hair!!!) and a young Cyclops...all in the 1960s...there is no way they are still kids in 1983 during Apocalypse.

I try to look at it as this:

Pretend that Alex is the older brother. Then assume that time moves 3-5x faster while people age at the same rate or people in the X-Men universe age at 1/3-1/5 the rate. Either way. Like 70-100-day long years or whatever.

Then it mostly is understandable.

Otherwise Alex is 45 with a 16-year-old brother & Magneto is 70 and being played by Fassenbender.

Some unevenness in the pacing of the movie when it switched from Magneto's tragic storyline to some of the action scenes. Overall, I give it 7.5 out of 10. Thought they used too much CGI as I had just re-watched Mad Max: Fury Road on dvd in which George Miller mainly used real cars, trucks, stunt people and acrobats in (thumbs u his chase scenes.

Don't think Jubilee spoke more than 1 line. Was she supposed to be chewing gum all the time? Don't even remember seeing Rogue. Young Jean Grey and Quicksilver scenes were well played.

Movie still made sense by releasing Weapon X but it would have been a VERY long 1980s helicopter ride by Stryker to get from USA to AB, Canada thus lapse in logic. Perhaps astral plane battle is prelude of CGI for Dr Strange movie in Nov, 2016? Can't wait for Dr Strange movie with Cumberbatch, the Ancient One, Mordo, Brother Voodoo, etc. <3

Some unevenness in the pacing of the movie when it switched from Magneto's tragic storyline to some of the action scenes. Overall, I give it 7.5 out of 10. Thought they used too much CGI as I had just re-watched Mad Max: Fury Road on dvd in which George Miller mainly used real cars, trucks, stunt people and acrobats in (thumbs u his chase scenes.

Don't think Jubilee spoke more than 1 line. Was she supposed to be chewing gum all the time? Don't even remember seeing Rogue. Young Jean Grey and Quicksilver scenes were well played.

Movie still made sense by releasing Weapon X but it would have been a VERY long 1980s helicopter ride by Stryker to get from USA to AB, Canada thus lapse in logic. Perhaps astral plane battle is prelude of CGI for Dr Strange movie in Nov, 2016? Can't wait for Dr Strange movie with Cumberbatch, the Ancient One, Mordo, Brother Voodoo, etc. <3

Rogue wasn't in it because she would either not have been born yet or just been born. MOvie takes place in 1983, and she was 17 in the 2000 movie.

'X-Men' & 'Alice' Lead Soft Memorial Day Weekend; Disney Tops $4 Billion Worldwide

Beginning with the weekend #1, X-Men: Apocalypse brought in an estimated $65 million three-day and is looking at anything from $77-80 million for the four-day holiday. The result is pretty much what the studio was anticipating heading into the weekend, but still has to be looked at as something of a disappointment. The four-day total is approximately $30 million less than 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past with a three-day that ranks sixth when compared to the rest of the films in the X-Men franchise.

Looking ahead, outside of X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Apocalypse received the worst RottenTomatoes score compared to any film in the X-Men franchise. However, opening day audiences seemed to like it well enough, scoring it with an "A-" CinemaScore, which is just below Days of Future Past's "A" and ahead of the "B+" for X-Men: First Class. In fact, First Class is a solid comparison domestically as it opened with $55.1 million back in 2011 and went on to gross $145.4 million domestically and just over $200 million internationally.

Speaking of international results Apocalypse is already encroaching on First Class' overseas total as the film brought in another $55.3 million this weekend from 79 markets, bringing its international cume to $185.8 million. The film added four territories this weekend, most notably South Korea where it finished #1 in the market with an estimated $12 million. The film retained its #1 position from last weekend in Brazil where it dropped only 17% as well as in the UK and Australia. Apocalypse arrives in China, where First Class was not even released and Days of Future Past brought in $116 million, on June 3 and won't be released in Japan until August 11.

Sounds like general audience approval is better than critics' opinions (A- rating). So hopefully word-of-mouth marketing will help it keep up the momentum in the coming weeks.

Comparing this financially to First Class seems like shoehorning something in to compare against, as when you adjust its 2011 opening ($55,101,604) to 2016 inflation USD ($58,609,956), it still falls below Apocalypse estimated results.

It was okay. Apocalypse was horrible, both in appearance and in the fact that he not once seemed like a terrifying villain (they literally stole him learning about the world through the tv from the movie Short Circuit). Storm was horribly written. the motive for her following Apocalypse was ridiculous. She followed him just because...and then you clearly see she isn't a bad person. totally unbelievable. Magneto's motive was also ridiculous ("just kill his family.....AGAIN!"). Someone of his mindset would never be a follower, and would never follow that easily. plus, why does Magento go from world destroying villain to kind of an anti hero....EVERY SINGLE MOVIE. He's destroying the world, then he just decides to stop and attack Apocalypse. Definitely a better movie than BvsS, but still glad i didn't pay to see this.

Edited by Hawkman