• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Great Reason to NEVER buy a PGX Book or deal with them

141 posts in this topic

Recording a conversation without express consent is illegal, and I would never suggest anyone engage in illegal activities.

If you choose that course, however, I won't castigate you.

-slym

It depends on the jurisdiction, some states permit recorded conversations to be used as evidence in a proceeding where only one party was aware of the recording, and others require that both parties be aware of the recording for it to be admissible. I'm not aware of laws that make the act of recording the conversation illegal, however, just whether it can be used as evidence or not. There might be, but I don't know.

It is a state-by-state issue -- some states only require one party to consent, while others require two. Information on this is pretty easy to find. But you'll also need to consider whether you're calling someone over state lines, because then you're not just invoking state law but federal as well (though I believe that's a one-party consent rule, anyway, http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511).

Does anyone take this guy to task when you spot him at a con (shrug)

If anyone does. make sure security is at their farthest point from you when you start.

-slym

??? Huh? What are you going to do or what are you thinking?

If anyone does. make sure security is at their farthest point from you when you start.

I imagine accosting convention-goers is frowned upon, so if you want maximum time to yell at the guy, make sure security is well off in the distance.

What did you think I meant??

???

-slym

I imagine accosting convention-goers is frowned upon, so if you want maximum time to yell at the guy, make sure security is well off in the distance.

???

-slym

Well, not yelling. What would you yell at him? ???

So I was very cordial, didn't want to accost the dude. Spoke to Daniel. Regarding Terrance Ledger and trimming I was told this was looked into and unfounded, had no basis. With regards to Ryan Elliot, I was told he does not work there and was told that people resubmitting books is commonplace. I told him that the issue is that Ryan is allegedly an employee to which he simply said "oh.". I had to specifically ask if Ryan Elliot is an employee to get a direct answer, so take that for what it's worth.

Honestly he didn't get into any detail other than saying the trimming accusations are over 4 years old and unfounded. He didn't expand on Elliot, only said people can crack slabs and resubmit for sale all they want.

Overall, the only thin he did say is that they grade according to a process, don't guarantee grades, "are pretty good at detecting restoration," must witness sigs, the usual

Stuff that would be expected. He did not however state anything about employees and conflicts o interest.

Didn't really get anywhere in hindsight, but then again im sure I could have asked more pointed questions, but I didn't want to come across as a jerk. He was overall dismissive of anything written online, he stopped short of saying its just disgruntled people.

I got the feel that he wanted sidestep questions and stick to the "we grade everything the same, yadda yadda yadda."

I should have called when I was in a foul mood, sorry folks. Got their # if anyone wants to follow up.

???

Well, not yelling. What would you yell at him? ???

You seem to think I am the one doing the confronting/accosting.

I also assume that when someone wants to "take someone to task," there will be heated words thrown around, usually with raised voices. All pardons for my assumption.

-slym

So I was very cordial, didn't want to accost the dude. Spoke to Daniel. Regarding Terrance Ledger and trimming I was told this was looked into and unfounded, had no basis. With regards to Ryan Elliot, I was told he does not work there and was told that people resubmitting books is commonplace. I told him that the issue is that Ryan is allegedly an employee to which he simply said "oh.". I had to specifically ask if Ryan Elliot is an employee to get a direct answer, so take that for what it's worth.

Honestly he didn't get into any detail other than saying the trimming accusations are over 4 years old and unfounded. He didn't expand on Elliot, only said people can crack slabs and resubmit for sale all they want.

Overall, the only thin he did say is that they grade according to a process, don't guarantee grades, "are pretty good at detecting restoration," must witness sigs, the usual

Stuff that would be expected. He did not however state anything about employees and conflicts o interest.

Didn't really get anywhere in hindsight, but then again im sure I could have asked more pointed questions, but I didn't want to come across as a jerk. He was overall dismissive of anything written online, he stopped short of saying its just disgruntled people.

I got the feel that he wanted sidestep questions and stick to the "we grade everything the same, yadda yadda yadda."

I should have called when I was in a foul mood, sorry folks. Got their # if anyone wants to follow up.

Heh - very nice.

I would've asked to speak to his mom, as she had to be nearby.

:lol:

-slym

Heh - very nice.

I would've asked to speak to his mom, as she had to be nearby.

:lol:

-slym

lol

I would of facetimed them so I can see their dogs and possibly have them do a trick or two. lol:insane:

One step forward 2 steps back

To bad they are so defensive

Thanks for trying :)

BTW, Oregon is a one party consent state, meaning you can record telephone calls without the other party's consent. You are not allowed to record in person without advising the other person the conversation is being recorded.

4 hours ago, TheNero said:

Saw this at upcoming Hakes July Auction and remembered this thread . 

Avengers 4 PGX 9.6 with Stan Lee sig at Vegas Con 2013 . Grade bumped 

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/230486/AVENGERS-4-MARCH-1964-PGX-96-NM-SIGNATURE-SERIES-FIRST-SILVER-AGE-CAPTAIN-AMERICA

Discussion about it here: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/453160-pgx-96-avengers-4-what-would-cgc-do/

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Sheesh, that was a rabbit hole. To save others time...CGC 8.5 bought by PGX grader and then regraded/reslabbed as a 9.6, presumably by himself...?

he thinks he's so damn sneaky, in that basement lair of his.