• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Foreign Versions of Comics?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

What are people's thoughts on foreign versions of comic books and their value relative to the U.S. versions.

From what I've seen on eBay, U.K. versions of key Silver Age books, go for about the same as the U.S. versions. Does that seem correct?

What about non-English versions like those distributed in Mexico and elsewhere?

Pence variants have traditionally sold for about 30% less than U.S. copies, but that is changing. I personally would take a pence version over a U.S. version every time and I know others on here feel the same way. I think eventually there will be enough people collecting pence variants to push them above U.S. values, as the supply is so much lower. But that might still be a few years off.

2c

Hey Guys,

What are people's thoughts on foreign versions of comic books and their value relative to the U.S. versions.

From what I've seen on eBay, U.K. versions of key Silver Age books, go for about the same as the U.S. versions. Does that seem correct?

No, it does not.

Pence variants have traditionally sold for about 30% less than U.S. copies, but that is changing. I personally would take a pence version over a U.S. version every time and I know others on here feel the same way. I think eventually there will be enough people collecting pence variants to push them above U.S. values, as the supply is so much lower. But that might still be a few years off.

2c

That's never going to happen. American comic books are American not english. Purists will always choose cents copies 2c

2c

That's never going to happen. American comic books are American not english. Purists will always choose cents copies 2c

Well, we'll see I guess. It's my understanding the print run on the pence editions is 10% (or less) than the cents version. Because the supply is so much lower, even if all the purists stick to the cents edition, there may still be enough demand from variant collectors to create a premium for pence editions.

I know most pence enthusiasts (including myself) consider these to be true price variants, similar to the 30 or 35 cent variants from the 70's or the Canadian price variants from the 80's. They are not reprints, they were printed during the same print run as the cents editions, they just swapped out the price box. So while "American comic books are American not english," in this case, the English comic books are also American as well.

Yes , this is true in Marvel's case. In DC the comic books for the UK market were identical. Shipped over to the UK in most cases as ballast on shipping, they were sold in the UK with a Black Thorpe and Porter price stamp in the early sixties.

As you say these are still American, but for me I prefer my books unblemished by these variations. It's just my preference. I'm sure there are many who feel the same, and many who feel like you. I just think there are more of us than you, hence I don't see UK pence variants ever surpassing true cents editions in desirabilty or value.

Again this is just my 2c

Yes , this is true in Marvel's case. In DC the comic books for the UK market were identical. Shipped over to the UK in most cases as ballast on shipping, they were sold in the UK with a Black Thorpe and Porter price stamp in the early sixties.

As you say these are still American, but for me I prefer my books unblemished by these variations. It's just my preference. I'm sure there are many who feel the same, and many who feel like you. I just think there are more of us than you, hence I don't see UK pence variants ever surpassing true cents editions in desirabilty or value.

Again this is just my 2c

There is a series of early Turoks (#20 - #26 that I've found - are there more??) that have both the cents AND pence prices printed on the cover. Other than that, they are identical to the North American versions.

Here is the official price guide to French Canadian reprints:

http://www.comicsheritage.ca/evaluation_prix.htm

No Turoks or did I miss them? I know that french versions exist.

That link is for "Éditions Héritage" French Canadian reprints. Other titles not included in that link (like Turok) were originally either from France or Belgium .

Here is the official price guide to French Canadian reprints:

http://www.comicsheritage.ca/evaluation_prix.htm

No Turoks or did I miss them? I know that french versions exist.

That link is for "Éditions Héritage" French Canadian reprints. Other titles not included in that link (like Turok) were originally either from France or Belgium .

Thanks - good to know that. Funny that the french Turoks would come from overseas and not Canada like so many other titles.

2c

Well, we'll see I guess. It's my understanding the print run on the pence editions is 10% (or less) than the cents version. Because the supply is so much lower, even if all the purists stick to the cents edition, there may still be enough demand from variant collectors to create a premium for pence editions.

I know most pence enthusiasts (including myself) consider these to be true price variants, similar to the 30 or 35 cent variants from the 70's or the Canadian price variants from the 80's. They are not reprints, they were printed during the same print run as the cents editions, they just swapped out the price box. So while "American comic books are American not english," in this case, the English comic books are also American as well.

I'm taking a never say never approach. No one ever thought Whitman logo DCs would ever be desirable. They were once considered to be the bottom of the barrel. Total trash. Now, they are becoming a sought after "variants". People are now going ga-ga over later print DCs, such as fourth and fifth prints.

I used to look down on pence copies. Now, I like them. I recently picked up a high grade Defenders 26 pence copy for almost nothing. I bought it specifically because it was a pence copy.

Time will tell if they ever catch up with cent copies. At one time, I would have said no way. However, now? (shrug)

I just sold a TOS 39 pence copy for about 83% of the US version.

I think that key issues sell at a higher premium.

83% is pretty damn good. There was a time when you would have realized a much lower percentage

Hey Guys,

The Mexican silver Age La Prensa´s have been gaining a lot of value . An Argentinian collector just sold his entire collection at Ebay and some copies where sold more than the US versions grade to grade ... one example was Fantastic Four 48 , some Cap America and Tales to astonish books.

If you have enough money you can get easily get any US silver age book you want ... but if you want a foreign book that´s another story , you have to wait until a copy is available .. if you are lucky of course

Here are some big graded key´s la Prensa´s on the market i have on my watch list

First Ant Man

FF 1

Edited by Mijael.Levy

Hey Guys,

The Mexican silver Age La Prensa´s have been gaining a lot of value . An Argentinian collector just sold his entire collection at Ebay and some copies where sold more than the US versions grade to grade ... one example was Fantastic Four 48 , some Cap America and Tales to astonish books.

If you have enough money you can get easily get any US silver age book you want ... but if you want a foreign book that´s another story , you have to wait until a copy is available .. if you are lucky of course

Here are some big graded key´s la Prensa´s on the market i have on my watch list

First Ant Man

FF 1

This is true. I'm the guy who bought the Caps :cool:

Hey Guys,

First Ant Man

FF 1

This is true. I'm the guy who bought the Caps :cool:

And since you are not letting go those caps for anything in this world , the next guy who wants those rare copies will have to wait and if he is lucky to find them he will have to pay a lot of money for them unless the seller doesn´t know he has gold on his hands . That´s how the foreign market works , i guess there´s a similarity with the Golden Age market

Edited by Mijael.Levy