• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest gap between purchases (without leaving the hobby)?

What's your longest gap between purchases?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What's your longest gap between purchases?

22 posts in this topic

I'm considering taking a break from purchases in 2014 so that (after I pay off my credit cards!) I can start to save up for some of my grails, in case any of them come up for sale.

Sometimes a deal is too good to pass up, so I'm not sure how perfectly I'll be able to stick to my plan.

I'm curious to know how long others have gone between purchases in order to, for instance, save up for a grail or pay off a major purchase, while still considering themselves active collectors.

If you took a break from the hobby altogether, it doesn't count.

When I was in grad school I still considered myself a collector but took an essentially forced break for about 6 years with no purchases, not even new books. I'm sure I got a few books as gifts during that span, but didn't buy any nor go to any cons.

I started collecting as a young teenager. I always member getting half a crown or 2 shillings and six pence (2s.6d ) pocket money which initially allowed me to purchase

3 x 10d comics (I’m talking pre decimal UK money here) and I couldn’t wait until my next pocket money day and run to the local shop to see what I could pick up.

Late teens around 17 years of age I stopped collecting until I got the habit again around the age of 24….so 7 years.

And yes I threw all my early collection away :makepoint::makepoint::makepoint:

I stopped buying mainstream comics from the mid-seventies until the early eighties, but I still bought and collected undergrounds, so I wasn't really out of the hobby. Because of infrequent publishing schedules I didn't shop for comics weekly or even monthly that often, so I'm sure there were periods of several months when I didn't buy anything.

Storylines for comic books went to pretty much at 1998 anyway. Spawn was on hiatus right at issue 33 or at least 34 back then.

1997 and 1998 I quit buying anything for comic books. Dunno what went on after the Clone Saga and the Onslaught and Heroes Reborn stuff.