• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

grades ?

I bought them both raw off Ebay back in the wild days. I paid $3800 for the 31, and the guy literally threw the book in a box - no Mylar, no backing board, just crumpled newspaper. It was the first book I ever sent to CGC, and it came back as a blue label 4.5. The 33 I never slabbed, but guess it was a 4.0. Needed the money for something stupid so I let em go on eBay:boo:

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

I cant really imagine that they in the process of printing Bat 1 would stop the press to insert an erroneously placed dot and then continue printing. If they had discovered a missing dot and decided that this missing dot was important enought to stop the press. Then they would also have placed it correctly I think.

So: I find it more plausible that the erroneously placed dot has been discovered during the pressing. And has then just been removed, to quickly get back on track with production.

But I guess well never know.

This makes the most sense to me.  

I bought my 2.5 off the boards here from Filter81, so I posited the question to him. Here is his response: 

“The . on the Bat 1, I'm not 100% sure I have all of this correct but I believe the answer is the difference was caused by the issue having multiple print runs.  (Superman 1 had 3 print runs but I think the only differences are noticeable on the inside.  Marvel 1 is the most famous for having two print runs with an Oct copy and Nov copy and is the only one I can think of where the different print runs make a substantial difference in value)  I'm not sure how many print runs Batman 1 had but my guess is one print run had no dot and the others did.  I just went through scans of my old Bat 1s, and based on my limited sample size the copies with a dot outnumbered copies without one by about 10 to 1.   Which makes me think that since the copies with no dot are rarer they are probably the actual first print run.  The market doesn't pay very close attention on this (and may never) but if that ever changes you could see prices rise on the no dot copies faster than their counterparts.   Not positive I have that all correct, but that is my best guess!“

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I bought my 2.5 off the boards here from Filter81, so I posited the question to him. Here is his response: 

“The . on the Bat 1, I'm not 100% sure I have all of this correct but I believe the answer is the difference was caused by the issue having multiple print runs.  (Superman 1 had 3 print runs but I think the only differences are noticeable on the inside.  Marvel 1 is the most famous for having two print runs with an Oct copy and Nov copy and is the only one I can think of where the different print runs make a substantial difference in value)  I'm not sure how many print runs Batman 1 had but my guess is one print run had no dot and the others did.  I just went through scans of my old Bat 1s, and based on my limited sample size the copies with a dot outnumbered copies without one by about 10 to 1.   Which makes me think that since the copies with no dot are rarer they are probably the actual first print run.  The market doesn't pay very close attention on this (and may never) but if that ever changes you could see prices rise on the no dot copies faster than their counterparts.   Not positive I have that all correct, but that is my best guess!“

I think @bluechip might have the best info since I think it was his Quote that I read on this Dot not there. I could be wrong but he has great info on a lot of this stuff.

40 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I think @bluechip might have the best info since I think it was his Quote that I read on this Dot not there. I could be wrong but he has great info on a lot of this stuff.

I still can’t find any info on the print run of Tec 27.  I know 202 k for action 1.  1M for Cap 1. And I think  900k for Marvel & Supes 1

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

Appreciate the compliment though my info on this is mostly based on common sense.  You wouldn't stop a press or change a plate in between printings just to remove a dot, even if it was erroneously misplaced.   If it bugged you enough that it was misplaced you wouldn't wait until the end of the run to fix it.   And if you fixed it at all you would move it, place it better, not remove it completely and make the cover more confusing.   And it is unquestionably more confusing without the dot.  "No." with a dot means "number".   "No" without a dot means "No" or "Not"   

I vaguely recall someone opining that perhaps the printer did it "as a goof" or the fact that house ads showed it with a dot.  But it makes the least sense of all that some printer would risk his livelihood for that, and the house ads I saw show the title logo and the dot in colored ink only, not black, meaning it's a mockup, not made from a stat of the completed cover.  

Edited by bluechip

13 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Appreciate the compliment though my info on this is mostly based on common sense.  You wouldn't stop a press or change a plate in between printings just to remove a dot, even if it was erroneously misplaced.   If it bugged you enough that it was misplaced you wouldn't wait until the end of the run to fix it.   And if you fixed it at all you would move it, place it better, not remove it completely and make the cover more confusing.   And it is unquestionably more confusing without the dot.  "No." with a dot means "number".   "No" without a dot means "No" or "Not"   

I vaguely recall someone opining that perhaps the printer did it "as a goof" or the fact that house ads showed it with a dot.  But it makes the least sense of all that some printer would risk his livelihood for that, and the house ads I saw show the title logo and the dot in colored ink only, not black, meaning it's a mockup, not made from a stat of the completed cover.  

Are there any earlier comic  books advertising the coming issue of Batman 1? Showing the cover?

50 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Are there any earlier comic  books advertising the coming issue of Batman 1? Showing the cover?

There were lots of house ads as early as Tec 39.  Many times the early ads were mocked up because the cover wasn't complete, so the logos often look different if you compare them closely.  Most interesting examples I can recall are from Timely, which omitted Stalin from a cover because in between the deadline for the ad and the deadline for the cover itself, the USSR went from being antagonist to ally with the USA.   Another house ad for Cap 1 showed no wings on Cap's head.

Edited by bluechip

50 minutes ago, bluechip said:

There were lots of house ads as early as Tec 39.  Many times the early ads were mocked up because the cover wasn't complete, so the logos often look different if you compare them closely.  Most interesting examples I can recall are from Timely, which omitted Stalin from a cover because in between the deadline for the ad and the deadline for the cover itself, the USSR went from being antagonist to ally with the USA.   Another house ad for Cap 1 showed no wings on Cap's head.

Ok forgive my ignorance, but if I’m understanding you correctly, these early images of the upcoming issue are called “house ads”? And in the case of Bat 1, the advance advertising (house ads) on other books showed the Batman 1 cover with a colored dot/period.

i guess if Timely can drop Stalin, it’s easy for DC to drop or alter a period.

thank you for your patience 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

19 hours ago, woowoo said:

The copy without the Dot I have heard was before they really started printing?. I have only seen your copy and one other without the Dot. IMO i would say its a lot rarer and I would prefer a copy without the Dot So to me Yabig.thumb.jpg.1956f52b6cd9c41092049bf123f8f40c.jpg:headbang:

my copy is a "no dot" copy. and they are far more rarer than the "dot" copies.

1 hour ago, thedude said:
20 hours ago, woowoo said:

The copy without the Dot I have heard was before they really started printing?. I have only seen your copy and one other without the Dot. IMO i would say its a lot rarer and I would prefer a copy without the Dot So to me Yabig.thumb.jpg.1956f52b6cd9c41092049bf123f8f40c.jpg:headbang:

my copy is a "no dot" copy. and they are far more rarer than the "dot" copies.

That's what I said read above :makepoint:        IMO i would say its a lot rarer and I would prefer a copy without the Dot So to me Ya

Next time I will have to give you a DOT :hi:

Edited by woowoo

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

does anyone have an image of the advertising for the upcoming Batman 1 that they would be willing to post? I don’t know what books would have them, but bluechip has talked about the early Tecs having them. Does anyone know? 

batman1ad.jpg.766292d3648cdad46d0ad208d147a425.jpgAll I got.