• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

That's what I said read above :makepoint:        IMO i would say its a lot rarer and I would prefer a copy without the Dot So to me Ya

Next time I will have to give you a DOT :hi:

I was agreeing with you! :makepoint:  :baiting::bigsmile:

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok forgive my ignorance, but if I’m understanding you correctly, these early images of the upcoming issue are called “house ads”? And in the case of Bat 1, the advance advertising (house ads) on other books showed the Batman 1 cover with a colored dot/period.

i guess if Timely can drop Stalin, it’s easy for DC to drop or alter a period.

thank you for your patience 

Yes, they were called House Ads.   And they often had small differences, due to the production process.  Dropping Stalin was a choice, not an accident.   The ad shown has the Bat 1 cover with blue text at the top, which was not used on any printings I know of, so it's either a mistake, or it was thrown together with elements that weren't final, or they might originally intended it to be blue.   There's no way of knowing.   But there's no scenario that makes sense which has the printer's looking at the copies coming off with a dot (for "No." meaning "number") and then deciding, late in the print run, to remove the dot for the few remaining copies.  I understand that the majority of people who have copies with a dot would prefer it that way, hence the rather concerted efforts to work backward from that conclusion.  But it makes no more sense than to say the November copies of Marvel I came first or that the Superman 1 printings with the ads showing later dated  books came first.   I don't care much about whether the earliest printings are considered to be worth more, but I do feel there's a danger that if folks from outside the hobby hear of such counter-intuitive arguments, they may conclude that we are a silly people.  

Edited by bluechip

16 hours ago, woowoo said:

batman1ad.jpg.766292d3648cdad46d0ad208d147a425.jpgAll I got.

The dot was there already in the pre-production phase. And was subsequently removed at some point during production/ printing.

At least that seems the more plausible scenario. 

But I suspect we'll never know.

3 hours ago, woowoo said:

@GreatCaesarsGhost Now you have something new to collect ( House adds )hm Look at this beauty from Detective 15 and Action 12

Action 1.jpg

@GreatCaesarsGhost I give you something to do today what's this house add from ?

Action 13 centerfold-1.jpg

WooWoo thanks for doing all this. I’m away from the house today, but I would go look in Overstreet Guide at early Actions. My guess is this house ad was in one of them, and that Overstreet notated it.

am I close?

21 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

WooWoo thanks for doing all this. I’m away from the house today, but I would go look in Overstreet Guide at early Actions. My guess is this house ad was in one of them, and that Overstreet notated it.

am I close?

Yup

3 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

The dot was there already in the pre-production phase. And was subsequently removed at some point during production/ printing.

At least that seems the more plausible scenario. 

But I suspect we'll never know.

This ad is not necessarily from the "pre-production" process of the actual cover; it could have been created after the cover was printed or prior to it.  Or at the same time.   Sometimes after Tec 37 went to press they went into high gear shifting stories around so they could create Batman 1 from the Tec inventory and a lot of things ended up inconsistent.   The story teased in Tec 37 for the next issue was wrong, and the story ended up in Batman 1.   As did the story intended for Tec 40.  They moved that story but neglected to change the cover, which was was clearly intended for the Joker story. 

There clearly was chaos, as there often is, thus we have many examples of covers existing in various states in house ads.   In this ad, all of the blue text is different, so the version in this ad was never actually used in any printing that I know of (until a "blue number" copy appears). 

But in all the books I've seen with various states, I've never heard of someone doing something like removing a dot late in a print run, making the cover text more confusing.   I don't suspect I ever will hear of it because it would defy logic.  Any presumption to that effect, without a logical and plausible reason, is violating Occam's razor and working backward from a desired conclusion.   At least that's what Spock said when he sold me his copy

Edited by bluechip