• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just made my secretary take this on my phone and now she thinks I’ve lost my mind . . . 

No dot on this one

FE2F7955-A59E-491E-890F-5A60D3400E19.jpeg

Wow looks like you are a high roller hm secretary leather chair files in the back ground (shrug) and your holding that CGC case in one hand 3 feet high with a smile :whatthe:

On 1/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Only the Worlds Greatest Detective could figure this out 

Surely, if a dot is a little to the right of where it should be, the only logical explanation is that they would seek to correct it, but only after 900,000 copies were printed.  And surely they would correct it not by moving the dot a little to the left, but by removing it entirely, then printing the very last few copies.   So said Sherlock, who started with the certainty that the dot copies must be first printing, and decided that all theories must start with that conclusion.

7 hours ago, bluechip said:

Surely, if a dot is a little to the right of where it should be, the only logical explanation is that they would seek to correct it, but only after 900,000 copies were printed.  And surely they would correct it not by moving the dot a little to the left, but by removing it entirely, then printing the very last few copies.   So said Sherlock, who started with the certainty that the dot copies must be first printing, and decided that all theories must start with that conclusion.

bluechip, you crack me up.  I know you are saying “no dot” was first, because they would never change the plates just to remove it;  they would only find the situation plate-change-worthy to add the dot.  Makes sense to me.  

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

bluechip, you crack me up.  I know you are saying “no dot” was first, because they would never change the plates just to remove it;  they would only find the situation plate-change-worthy to add the dot.  Makes sense to me.  

So it makes sense to you, that they:

1) stopped the press

2) changed the plates

3) to put in the dot - clearly misplaced

4) and then did the rest of the print.

Hmm. To each his own. 

45 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

So it makes sense to you, that they:

1) stopped the press

2) changed the plates

3) to put in the dot - clearly misplaced

4) and then did the rest of the print.

Hmm. To each his own. 

It makes more sense than any other explanation

And it makes a million times more sense than your theory that they...

1) saw a misplaced dot and said "the dot is misplaced.  stopped the presses so we can fix the last one percent of the covers

2) changed the plates

3) removed the dot.  Not replaced it.  Just removed it.  Because that is so much less confusing than a misplaced dot and they just didn't want to take the time to put a properly placed dot in there.

4) and then did the rest of the print.  Which was the tail end, leaving up to or even more than a million copies out there with the dot which was (gasp) "clearly misplaced!!"

.  Somebody looked at the copies coming off the printer and it looked like it said "No one" and told the printer to put a dot in there.  The fact that it's a tad to the right of where they normally are might have bugged somebody after, but they wouldn't consider it egregious enough to stop the presses again.  Your hypothesis hinges on the idea that a misplaced dot would be more outrageous to them than a completely missing dot.   And that makes sense only if you are obsessed with saying the dot copies were first.   "To each his own" is a phrase we use for preference in women, ice cream, comics, etc.  It does not apply to facts and logic.  Or it shouldn't anyway.   But I am certainly not going to post a correction to your theory as often as you seem to want to keep hammering that theory, so in the end I guess you will "win" and people from outside the hobby will hear this theory and say wtf is with those people

Edited by bluechip

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Regardless of which way it started out, is there a consensus on which version is more prevalent?

a quick scan of the Heritage archives shows that the "dot" copies are more prevalent than the "no dot" copies. there are a few "no dot" copies on there, but not many.

22 hours ago, bluechip said:

It makes more sense than any other explanation

And it makes a million times more sense than your theory that they...

1) saw a misplaced dot and said "the dot is misplaced.  stopped the presses so we can fix the last one percent of the covers

2) changed the plates

3) removed the dot.  Not replaced it.  Just removed it.  Because that is so much less confusing than a misplaced dot and they just didn't want to take the time to put a properly placed dot in there.

4) and then did the rest of the print.  Which was the tail end, leaving up to or even more than a million copies out there with the dot which was (gasp) "clearly misplaced!!"

.  Somebody looked at the copies coming off the printer and it looked like it said "No one" and told the printer to put a dot in there.  The fact that it's a tad to the right of where they normally are might have bugged somebody after, but they wouldn't consider it egregious enough to stop the presses again.  Your hypothesis hinges on the idea that a misplaced dot would be more outrageous to them than a completely missing dot.   And that makes sense only if you are obsessed with saying the dot copies were first.   "To each his own" is a phrase we use for preference in women, ice cream, comics, etc.  It does not apply to facts and logic.  Or it shouldn't anyway.   But I am certainly not going to post a correction to your theory as often as you seem to want to keep hammering that theory, so in the end I guess you will "win" and people from outside the hobby will hear this theory and say wtf is with those people

Make no mistake, I respect your so called 'theory' 100%. I just dont agree completely. And Im not trying to hammer my own opinion into 'truth'. If you read above I state in several of my posts: "I suspect well never know".