• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, storypapers said:

HERE MY BABY BEFORE GRADED!!!  

HQvN25.jpg

Q2zSM4.jpg

LYdCag.jpg

I remember this copy very well.  Silveracre had this on his site back in 2008.  I contacted him and we agreed on a price.  Done deal.  I was waiting for him to supply me with a routing number so I could wire payment, and he sold the book to someone else, apparently using our deal as leverage to get more for the book from another buyer.  I started a thread about it here on the boards that got a lot of attention. 

I'm glad that a board member ended up with it, but I still look back with a great deal of frustration about how it went down. 

24 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I remember this copy very well.  Silveracre had this on his site back in 2008.  I contacted him and we agreed on a price.  Done deal.  I was waiting for him to supply me with a routing number so I could wire payment, and he sold the book to someone else, apparently using our deal as leverage to get more for the book from another buyer.  I started a thread about it here on the boards that got a lot of attention. 

I'm glad that a board member ended up with it, but I still look back with a great deal of frustration about how it went down. 

I remember that. You were 'royally screwed by an Englishman', so to speak. :(:foryou:

29 minutes ago, nearmint said:

29 minutes ago, nearmint said:

I bought this restored..so not sure it was the same copy......I bought at auction....so probably not same book...but who knows...anything is possible...

1 minute ago, storypapers said:

I bought this restored..so not sure it was the same copy......I bought at auction....so probably not same book...but who knows...anything is possible...

Yep, 6.0 MP.

bat1bc.jpg

5 minutes ago, nearmint said:

Yep, 6.0 MP.

bat1bc.jpg

Great memory!  Well sorry it did not work out for you.....I heard from someone that the book came from somewhere in the USA....so I guess it got passed around till it landed here with me.  I think I've done it justice....and was certainly happy to have it Unrestored....thanks for the history.  I can tell you a number of stories where I got screwed...this one worked out ;)  All best...Joe

BTW...when I got it..it was not even a CGC any longer!!! 

Edited by storypapers

3 minutes ago, storypapers said:

Great memory!  Well sorry it did not work out for you.....I heard from someone that the book came from somewhere in the USA....so I guess it got passed around till it landed here with me.  I think I've done it justice....and was certainly happy to have it Unrestored....thanks for the history.  I can tell you a number of stories where I got screwed...this one worked out ;)  All best...Joe

BTW...when I got it..it was not even a CGC any longer!!! 

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for you.  Great book!

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wait a minute.  So this 4.0 blue label used to be a 6.0 purple?  Somebody scraped the color touch off?

And who is this Silveracre?  

Yes, restoration removal is pretty common.  Silveracre is a dealer in England. 

Just now, nearmint said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for you.  Great book!

I appreciate that....were you ever able to get another Bat 1?  
I may consider trading this one away....some day  for a lessor copy, even restored...so I can utilize $$$$ elsewhere... 

Just now, nearmint said:

Yes, restoration removal is pretty common.  Silveracre is a dealer in England. 

Most books cannot be unrestored.....Conserved more likely.  I got lucky on this one because the cover proved to be un cleaned with chemicals..if that is the case..it can never me un restored. 

Awesome book and congrats on the pickup!  First time you posted pix of the book, I already knew in my head that it was previously restored based on how the defects look.  Was surprised that even a Moderate amount of resto. could be removed safely in a way.  I always thought slight resto. only and anything more than that is complete destruction.  Probably one of the few exceptions of moderately restored copy.

3 hours ago, storypapers said:

Most books cannot be unrestored.....Conserved more likely.  I got lucky on this one because the cover proved to be un cleaned with chemicals..if that is the case..it can never me un restored. 

So it was restored and then unrestored.   Now it makes sense.   I remember the copy when it first came up for sale (and the Kane signature/inscription was basically deemed a value-diminisher).   As I recalled it looked better than it does here, so I am guessing that in removing the restoration, some printed ink and paper were sacrificed in order to make it pure again.

4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Awesome book and congrats on the pickup!  First time you posted pix of the book, I already knew in my head that it was previously restored based on how the defects look.  Was surprised that even a Moderate amount of resto. could be removed safely in a way.  I always thought slight resto. only and anything more than that is complete destruction.  Probably one of the few exceptions of moderately restored copy.

Yes, it was a surprise to me as well..and the person who unrestored.....

4 hours ago, bluechip said:

So it was restored and then unrestored.   Now it makes sense.   I remember the copy when it first came up for sale (and the Kane signature/inscription was basically deemed a value-diminisher).   As I recalled it looked better than it does here, so I am guessing that in removing the restoration, some printed ink and paper were sacrificed in order to make it pure again.

Can't see how a Kane signature could diminish..I think a great addition!  I imagine it probably did look a little better..but I am happy with the results ;) 

17 hours ago, Point Five said:

I remember that. You were 'royally screwed by an Englishman', so to speak. :(:foryou:

I was the boardie that ended up with the book. Was a sucky time for all.  Nearmint was kind enough to let me have the book with no hard feelings. Anyway I sent pics of the book to a reputable conservatinist to see if it could be unrestored and the verdict was 'no' as the cover was cleaned. So I'm really surprised (and happy !) To see the book in a blue label and in such a great grade. Beautiful book . Nice to see it reappear. Congrats to the owner for having the guts and initiative to even think of unrestoring it. 

13 hours ago, storypapers said:

Can't see how a Kane signature could diminish..I think a great addition!  I imagine it probably did look a little better..but I am happy with the results ;) 

I can't see it, either.   But people actually said that to me, back in the day, when I offered a copy with a signature and drawing on the back.   Some folks are just purists to an excessive degree, and some will try anything to get you to lower your price.

Probably talking about the inscription and not the Bob Kane autograph. 

In either case I would pay top dollar for this comic. I do though like that it's inscribed on back.

Take a single signed baseball from a star player. Most of the time if not inscribed it goes for more.