• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Grendel72 said:

I was the boardie that ended up with the book. Was a sucky time for all.  Nearmint was kind enough to let me have the book with no hard feelings. Anyway I sent pics of the book to a reputable conservatinist to see if it could be unrestored and the verdict was 'no' as the cover was cleaned. So I'm really surprised (and happy !) To see the book in a blue label and in such a great grade. Beautiful book . Nice to see it reappear. Congrats to the owner for having the guts and initiative to even think of unrestoring it. 

Thank you my friend.  I wanted the book no matter what.  I thought Conserved was a good possibility.....was pleasantly surprised when I found out the book was not cleaned with chemicals...which negates any possibility of ever getting better than Conservative.  So yes, the gamble paid off although I'm still holding on to it.  I might consider putting toward something else and eventually get another restored copy for my collection.  Either way..I'd be careful and have been since.  Most times it says cover cleaned..then Conserved the order of the day at Best and it seems that buyers are still reluctant on purchasing them closer to an unrestored copy, rather they are still closer to a restored copy in value as of yet.  

33 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Probably talking about the inscription and not the Bob Kane autograph. 

In either case I would pay top dollar for this comic. I do though like that it's inscribed on back.

Take a single signed baseball from a star player. Most of the time if not inscribed it goes for more. 

In either case I would pay top dollar for this comic. I do though like that it's inscribed on back.

Take a single signed baseball from a star player. Most of the time if not inscribed it goes for more. 

Totally agree....makes the book more distinct...and not just a signature as you say....an inscription.   I love the way and how and where it is written...Perfect!!! 

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

I can't see it, either.   But people actually said that to me, back in the day, when I offered a copy with a signature and drawing on the back.   Some folks are just purists to an excessive degree, and some will try anything to get you to lower your price.

True.....but I think each has to be evaluated on its own..in this case..I think the inscription says a lot and is neat and well placed...love it! ;) 

11 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

$23,484

59DED1DC-0330-4EDF-ADE4-C1F1D8CACA42.jpeg

Here are my thoughts on why it went so high. 

Someone needed a back cover and maybe this one looks nice. An email to Clink and they would have sent you a scan.

When in the last 10 years has a complete back cover been for sale? All I've seen is the trimmed out back cover sell a few times and that's it. What would a decent back cover sell for? $7K, $10K, $20K?

You just bought this comic and have your back cover or front/back to your coverless Bat 1. 

Now sell the front cover if not needed, outer wrap for few thousand then break this up and sell individual pages.

16 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Someone needed a back cover and maybe this one looks nice. An email to Clink and they would have sent you a scan.

When in the last 10 years has a complete back cover been for sale? All I've seen is the trimmed out back cover sell a few times and that's it. What would a decent back cover sell for? $7K, $10K, $20K?

You just bought this comic and have your back cover or front/back to your coverless Bat 1. 

Now sell the front cover if not needed, outer wrap for few thousand then break this up and sell individual pages.

Makes sense to me

did a Boardie get this? Pray, speak!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

54 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

I have had 2 Batman 1's in the past coverless and had 1 copy missing back cover that I could not give away so ya your thoughts are :headbang:

On 1/8/2019 at 6:51 PM, woowoo said:
On 1/8/2019 at 1:14 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I just made my secretary take this on my phone and now she thinks I’ve lost my mind . . . 

No dot on this one

FE2F7955-A59E-491E-890F-5A60D3400E19.jpeg

Wow looks like you are a high roller hm secretary leather chair files in the back ground (shrug) and your holding that CGC case in one hand 3 feet high with a smile :whatthe:

Wow, now that's the way to take a classic photo.  (thumbsu

BIG BIG everything in this picture here from the BIG man himself right through to the Big book itself.  :luhv:

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, now that's the way to take a classic photo.  (thumbsu

BIG BIG everything in this picture here from the BIG man himself right through to the Big book itself.  :luhv:

You’re too kind, lou_fine.

Truth is I’m just a little dog trying to run with you big dogs

13 hours ago, lhcomics said:

The parts game is bigger than ever. :insane: