• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 5/4/2020 at 5:18 PM, Dark Knight said:

Book also has a lot of color touch removal.  May be what's driving more bidders from bidding.

Are you looking at the bottom of the back cover? Is that where you suspect the removal?

44FF18E9-5F64-4D3C-BDDB-9226A2EFDBC2.jpeg

3C048416-876D-4961-964D-6847C455172D.jpeg

I have attached a picture of the book with what I suspect are color touch removal.  The red circles are less obvious about removal, but I believe they were.

On the back, the bottom holes seen appear to have had paper removed as well as the top semi-circle out

I also included pix of the book when Fishler had it in 1993 from the goldenage comic con vid thread

Bat 1.jpg

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Edited by Dark Knight

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I have attached a picture of the book with what I suspect are color touch removal.  The red circles are less obvious about removal, but I believe they were.

On the back, the bottom holes seen appear to have had paper removed.  Top piece missing looks more natural, but highly suspect. 

Bat 1.jpg

Thanks.  I was confused about the line up the front cover.  The graders notes described it as "heavy subscription crease", but I didn't think comics got mailed out folded in half until the 50s, at the earliest.  So alternatively, I thought that maybe this book was on top of a bundle secured by a wire or string, thereby causing the damage.  I hadn't considered a paint and scrape.

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks.  I was confused about the line up the front cover.  The graders notes described it as "heavy subscription crease", but I didn't think comics got mailed out folded in half until the 50s, at the earliest.  So alternatively, I thought that maybe this book was on top of a bundle secured by a wire or string, thereby causing the damage.  I hadn't considered a paint and scrape.

you should have bought the book

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

well, even if this particular copy of Bat 1 wasn't actually "mailed out and folded in half" as a subscription copy, who's to say the original purchaser didn't buy it from a corner newsstand, folded the book in half, stuck it in their butt pocket, and rode off on their bicycle? :grin:

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

well, even if this particular copy of Bat 1 wasn't actually "mailed out and folded in half" as a subscription copy, who's to say the original purchaser didn't buy it from a corner newsstand, folded the book in half, stuck it in their butt pocket, and rode off on their bicycle? :grin:

oh, that's very possible.  I just found it odd that CGC in their grader notes called it a subscription crease when I didn't think books were distributed that way in 1940.  

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

you should have bought the book

I know it.  I was the underbidder, but I just guess I couldn't work enough enthusiasm up for the book.  My Bat 1 has eye appeal as good or better, so the emotion I need to push me over the top was simply lacking.  The reconfiguration of my finances to accommodate the purchase was just a bridge too far.

9 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

oh, that's very possible.  I just found it odd that CGC in their grader notes called it a subscription crease when I didn't think books were distributed that way in 1940.  

It is a sub crease, but just might not have been due to mail order :preach: I know comics were mailed in 1940, but I think laid flat, in envelopes. 

Edited by Primetime

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I know it.  I was the underbidder, but I just guess I couldn't work enough enthusiasm up for the book.  My Bat 1 has eye appeal as good or better, so the emotion I need to push me over the top was simply lacking.  The reconfiguration of my finances to accommodate the purchase was just a bridge too far.

Really it is a 4.0 with great history ? you have a 2.5. Now if you bought this in a year you could have sold your 2.5 and paid for the 4.0 BUT I DO LIKE YOU BUDDY.

true friend 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Primetime said:

It is a sub crease, but just might not have been due to mail order :preach: I know comics were mailed in 1940, but I think laid flat, in envelopes. 

It was folded years and put in back pocket. What you did not think of that.:ohnoez:

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Real story?

Yes, according to the auction house that sold it in the 90s.   Either Sothebys or Christies, can't remember which.   They got it from the OO who knew Kane personally and got it from him in 1940 when the book had just been published and proud Kane was handing out copies like cigars.  

3 hours ago, bluechip said:

Yes, according to the auction house that sold it in the 90s.   Either Sothebys or Christies, can't remember which.   They got it from the OO who knew Kane personally and got it from him in 1940 when the book had just been published and proud Kane was handing out copies like cigars.  

Wow.  I don't like Kane myself but that's a neat story.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 5/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, comicdonna said:

$110,100

How do we go from $78k for a1.5 just a few days ago to this?

On 5/5/2020 at 9:59 AM, mwotka said:

Also perhaps mycomicshop not the right venue for a Batman 1...

On 5/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Choice of venue = bad decision

Choice of no reserve format = bad decision

Choice to sell during Corona-dip = bad decision.

Well, I am not sure if the venue is to be completely to blame for this result, especially since this CGC 4.0 graded copy just managed to fetch only a few thousand dollars more at $117K when it was auctioned off at HA a few weeks earlier back in March of this year:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7224-91053.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I am not sure if the venue is to be completely to blame for this result, especially since this CGC 4.0 graded copy just managed to fetch only a few thousand dollars more at $117K when it was auctioned off at HA a few weeks earlier back in March of this year:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7224-91053.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

I didn’t realize umtil your post that this is the exact same book for sale on eBay now for $155k

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Good point, I hadn't seen that.  Definitely vindicates mycomicshop quite a bit.  Especially when you consider they have much lower commissions.  

Perhaps a better explanation would be that this is the top end price point for a nicer presenting lower graded copy, and once you hit six figures the buyer pool shrinks a lot.  That and there has been three 4.0s sell in 6 months.  Another copy sold in 11/2019 for $150K.  How many people can really be in the running at these prices?  Once the super motivated buyer is out of the running, the price goes down.  

Strongly doubt that he'll be getting anywhere close to the starting bid of $175K for that copy there, especially with the notorious Bob Kane's signature on it. :p

Now, if it was Bill Finger's authentic signature on the book instead, it would stand a much better chance then.  (thumbsu